Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 04:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
There you have it. The Atheist, being neutral and detached observers, have found Mormons to be the best of the Christian lot.
They told you that masturbation is okay, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 04:54 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, I'm finding this all very interesting. So far there are 38 posts. Only one of them (#27) is by a Mormon, and responds directly to the OP. Nobody has even commented on it. Does anybody actually care about the topic of the OP from an LDS perspective?

There are more Mormons that posted than you know. And one did directly responded to the OP.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:55 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
You know, I'm finding this all very interesting. So far there are 38 posts. Only one of them (#27) is by a Mormon, and responds directly to the OP. Nobody has even commented on it. Does anybody actually care about the topic of the OP from an LDS perspective?
I saw it. It was long

Old 04-12-2009, 05:38 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
See that is where I have a problem. One is expected to conform to a set of religiosity rules of man to pass comment and the irony is the folk that judge are very much into the beam in the eye ministry, that is why I reacted to this thread as I did.
I said judge to figure out if you believe or not, I never said judge to condemn.

Quote:
Yup, I have. When cornered, the deflect and attack your beliefs, your motives, whatever other than admitting that they have been outsmarted (for lack of a better word)
I agree they can do that. Although I believe the Bible to be the literal word of God, I do not think I know it all.

Quote:
My beliefs are similar to CU and thus the fundies then dismiss anything I have to share based on this. However I have moved on beyond the beliefs of CU and have no label. Thus "atheist" is appropriate as I do not believe what the fundies believe. But of course that label was pinned on me by others so I wear it as an "in your face" label.
Never had a problem with your posts in the past and you seem reasonable.
What is CU? Do you believe in God, and Jesus as His Son? I'm glad you don't have a problem with me and think I'm reasonable.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
There are more Mormons that posted than you know. And one did directly responded to the OP.
Really, who were they? None of them came across as Mormon to me.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:43 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I saw it. It was long
I know, but it was so well written! Would you have read it if it had been broken into two or three separate posts?

Old 04-12-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
and I didn't say atheists in general, I said if you're going to debate anyone on a particular subject (whatever it may be) it is best to know as much as you possibly can about the particular subject that you are debating about, that is why some atheists may know as much or more about scripture as some Christians do, they have taken the time to research and read and study the subject that they are going to debate. That just makes common sense to do that.
Gotcha. I do agree that we should know as much as possible about a subject we're going to debate about. It's usually things I genuinely am interested in though, like other denominations. I just can't imagine being an atheist and caring enough to read and study the Bible just so I can debate Christians...what's the purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I, like many atheists I know, lost what belief we had by studying the bible, so many of us understand it, it's origins and purpose much better than Christians do...Christians just read it, but generally don't question what it says. I suppose that is a basic difference between the those of us that have a burning need to know why ( Atheists ) and those that are content to blindly follow without question. ( Christians )
That's a blunt statement, assuming no Christian questions things. It's also incorrect. Just because we question but still believe does not mean we blindly follow.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
They told you that masturbation is okay, huh?

No, but I wonder if they're as fixated on people genitals as the normal Christians?

Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
This thread is stupid and going downhill at a rapid rate. As I've said before on other threads I've known and worked with alot of Mormons and have a high regard for them and I don't think they deserve the hostility that is directed towards them. The OP is not asking any intelligent questions or presenting anything worthy of debate. The responses haven't been much better for the most part either. I am hoping that a moderator will close this stupid thing.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, katzpur. I did skim through your post, but didn't read it all. I guess I wasn't honestly interested in the answer (sorry!) but just had to respond to the OP because I just don't like it when someone feels the need to call out a certain denomination, when they're really not interested in discussion, but rather just doing it to bash. Especially this OP, when we all are motivated by the afterlife to do what we do.

Quote:
The LDS understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ is a Plan of Salvation that extends to all mankind. There is no Christian denomination anywhere on earth with a larger Heaven or a smaller Hell. How many Christians do you know who believe they'll not only see their fellow Christians there, but their Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu and Jewish friends as well? And you see that as selfish?
Anyway... as for the quote above, I think that should stop and make anyone think. Because I'll be honest. I'm in with the other Christians who do not believe I'll see the Buddhists, Muslims, Hindus, and Jews in heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality