Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Probably, huh? Besides, winters here in NY are too cold for us older folks (my wife and I)
Well I just came up from South Florida (Lauderdale) where I lived for 20 years. Prior to living in Florida, I was living here in N.Y (Brooklyn) for 4 years. As a kid, I did live in the Bronx for 4 years also. Now I live in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Well I just came up from South Florida (Lauderdale) where I lived for 20 years. Prior to living in Florida, I was living here in N.Y (Brooklyn) for 4 years. As a kid, I did live in the Bronx for 4 years also. Now I live in Manhattan.
My daughter and I just spent 4 days in Manhattan last October. It was sooo awesome! We saw as much as we possibly could. Even went underground (and I don't mean the subway!)

Old 04-13-2009, 05:57 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
My daughter and I just spent 4 days in Manhattan last October. It was sooo awesome! We saw as much as we possibly could. Even went underground (and I don't mean the subway!)
Glad to know you guys enjoyed yourself. I have a love hate relationship with this place but I actually enjoy it more now than my other two stints here.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:01 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You'll find "the truth" out there right next to the fountain of youth. I don't understand the fascination with thinking you know the truth about religion, Christianity, God, what happens when you die, etc. Those are things you can never know for sure.
Actually, there are some things we know regarding what happens when you die. The field of neurology has progressed quite a bit in the last few decades, and we now know that every aspects of the mind is dependent upon the physical functioning of the brain. At death, when the brain dies, so to does the mind. There's no thinking without a working brain. There is no question about this in the medical community.

The temporal lobes, for example, play an important role in emotional response, memory, and hearing and language. When a person has damaged his temporal lobes, they will have no memory, hearing, language, or emotional responses. This is well known, and living people who have had their brain damaged have suffered this same consequence. So there is no ghost that gives the mind these qualities, the brain does it all, and when the brain dies you will no longer have emotions, response, memory, or the ability to communicate.

Another example: the frontal lobes are responsible for our personality, judgment, motivation, planning and goals, regulating and inhibiting actions, making decisions, controlling attention, and responding appropriately to external events and stimuli, etc. When this gets damaged, even in living humans, we can no longer control those things. There's no ghost that will help a person with brain damage manage those functions of the mind. So to, when the brain dies, you will have no personality, motivation, etc. and there's no reason a ghost will intervene then anymore than when you were alive.

The medical community is pretty good at the science they do. The same people that have told us what the liver does, have now told us what the brain does.

It's a simple fact that the brain is required to have a mind. To have thought. To be self-aware. There's no ghost or spirit that does our thinking or gives us our personality. Every single bit of it is determined by our brain, and when our brain dies so to will anything that we recognize as ourselves.

So what happens to us after we die? We become inanimate, like rock. we will no longer have a brain that will allow us to be self-aware, we will no longer have a central nervous system that will allow us feel any pleasure or pain. We won't be sapient in any way. Completely inanimate, non-sapient, unthinking, feeling, or aware.

That's what we know about what will happen after we die. There's no longer any support in the medical community for the idea that there is any thought without a living brain.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
During my time here on City Data, if there is one thing that I've noticed, it's the fact that if I had to "give my life to Christ," I am going to end up on the wrong side of someone else's Christianity. Just believing in God is apparently not good enough. It comes down to how you believe in him and what do you believe about him. The same goes for Jesus, followed by how you interpret the scriptures and the subsequent do's and don'ts.
You're asking a very difficult question. How can I say what I believe about God in a couple of short paragraphs? I believe that God is my Father in Heaven, that I am His daughter and that He is the Father of my spirit. I believe that He knows me personally and loves me unconditionally. I believe that I lived (in spirit form) in His presence before I was born to my mortal parents and that it was actually my choice to come to earth to gain a physical body, to be tested, and to learn to put my faith and trust in Him. I believe that Jesus Christ is His Only Begotten Son, chosen before the foundation of the world to atone for the sins of mankind, allowing all of us to be forgiven and to return to the presence of our Father some day. I believe that the Father's Plan of Salvation is for everyone, that He loves us all equally and wants us to live eternally with Him. That's it in a nutshell. And a very tiny nutshell at that.

Quote:
Where's the appeal?
Did I already answer that? I hope so.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:35 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Oh, I LOVE Manhatten! It's my favorite place in the world!!!! Lucky you!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I think there is something inherently sick and morbid about those rapture believing Christians that cannot wait for the so called end to come, even though to them it means death and eternal damnation for literally billions of people (nonbelievers) in the world. To me they are ghouls.
The end of physical pain, yes.

Can a leopard change it's spots and become solid or say a zebra stripe less?
Can a man so determined, change his heart? Why does it happen for some and not for others? That just life, some have it and some don't. All are given the opportunity to have. Some take it and some don't. Tell me again, what is sick about that?

Somethings never change
And that's just the way it is.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:06 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
The end of physical pain, yes.

Can a leopard change it's spots and become solid or say a zebra stripe less?
Can a man so determined, change his heart? Why does it happen for some and not for others? That just life, some have it and some don't. All are given the opportunity to have. Some take it and some don't. Tell me again, what is sick about that?

Somethings never change
And that's just the way it is.
If you have to ask what is sick about belief in the rapture, then I can't help you. Doesn't really matter anyway, because it is just a myth.

My problem is with the people who are joyfully looking forward the it despite what the believe will be the death and suffering of billions..What kind of evil does that take?....They are not the kind of folks I want anything to do with...They are wasting their lives waiting for something that's not going to happen and at the same time showing their total lack of empathy.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:06 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Quote:
During my time here on City Data, if there is one thing that I've noticed, it's the fact that if I had to "give my life to Christ," I am going to end up on the wrong side of someone else's Christianity. Just believing in God is apparently not good enough. It comes down to how you believe in him and what do you believe about him. The same goes for Jesus, followed by how you interpret the scriptures and the subsequent do's and don'ts.

Where's the appeal?
You hit a good point here.

Most religions are all about what you do, like spiritual practices, rituals, daily prayers, meditation, vegetarian diet, ascetic lifestyles, etc.

But with Christianity, it mostly comes down to what you BELIEVE. Most Christians don't even really do much of anything in particular. There are of course th ten commandments, and Church on Sunday, but these are very loose compared to the strict codes of behavior in other religions. Christians just have to believe in Christ as Lord, and all the other aspects of it.

And this is one reason why I don't think Christianity is a very strong religion for spiritual growth. It doesnt really give a person enough tools to work with.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Actually, there are some things we know regarding what happens when you die. The field of neurology has progressed quite a bit in the last few decades, and we now know that every aspects of the mind is dependent upon the physical functioning of the brain. At death, when the brain dies, so to does the mind. There's no thinking without a working brain. There is no question about this in the medical community.

The temporal lobes, for example, play an important role in emotional response, memory, and hearing and language. When a person has damaged his temporal lobes, they will have no memory, hearing, language, or emotional responses. This is well known, and living people who have had their brain damaged have suffered this same consequence. So there is no ghost that gives the mind these qualities, the brain does it all, and when the brain dies you will no longer have emotions, response, memory, or the ability to communicate.

Another example: the frontal lobes are responsible for our personality, judgment, motivation, planning and goals, regulating and inhibiting actions, making decisions, controlling attention, and responding appropriately to external events and stimuli, etc. When this gets damaged, even in living humans, we can no longer control those things. There's no ghost that will help a person with brain damage manage those functions of the mind. So to, when the brain dies, you will have no personality, motivation, etc. and there's no reason a ghost will intervene then anymore than when you were alive.

The medical community is pretty good at the science they do. The same people that have told us what the liver does, have now told us what the brain does.

It's a simple fact that the brain is required to have a mind. To have thought. To be self-aware. There's no ghost or spirit that does our thinking or gives us our personality. Every single bit of it is determined by our brain, and when our brain dies so to will anything that we recognize as ourselves.

So what happens to us after we die? We become inanimate, like rock. we will no longer have a brain that will allow us to be self-aware, we will no longer have a central nervous system that will allow us feel any pleasure or pain. We won't be sapient in any way. Completely inanimate, non-sapient, unthinking, feeling, or aware.

That's what we know about what will happen after we die. There's no longer any support in the medical community for the idea that there is any thought without a living brain.
And the soul/spirit, it dies as well? Or does the medical field deny any existence of a person's soul, their inner being?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality