Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times

Advertisements

If you did a search, there are lots of buddhist and hinduist threads, covering mantras, yoga, meditation, Indian phillosophies, deities info, etc

And a lot of other things, unfortunately not many people was interested and many posters (me included) stopped posting.

some links to old threads that you might like

Hinduism threads

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...61-guruji.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...sm-thread.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-hinduism.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ies-india.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...n-science.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ization-2.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...e-krishna.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...ic-theory.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ther-yoga.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...tion-part.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...mahadevas.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...ent-india.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...shnu-yoga.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...gin-audio.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...sh-mantra.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/religion-philosophy/280718-peace-mantras-shanti-mantras.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ndu-bible.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ia-theory.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...rituality.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-sanskrit.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ews-jesus.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...uman-side.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...rist-yogi.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...cles-ages.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ions-west.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...scription.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...it-ananda.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...onverging.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ord-shiva.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...now-about.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...is-saraha.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...trailanga.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ar-babaji.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-divinity.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...al-themes.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ask-hindu.html

Buddhism threads

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-religion.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-buddhism.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ists-here.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-religion.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ompassion.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-meditate.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...editation.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...on-method.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...art-sutra.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ism-101-a.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ism-202-a.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...snow-lion.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...mple-love.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...s-context.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...carnation.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ef-system.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-buddhism.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ll-beings.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...rd-buddha.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...tes-worth.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ne-buddha.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...dge-world.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...hakyamuni.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...61-wisdom.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-kindness.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ng-drolma.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...s-nyingma.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...a-arizona.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...-buddhism.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ar-gan-ri.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...flections.html

Last edited by Travelling fella; 04-14-2009 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
Hi... am curious if there are any folks here who have come to Hinduism from a traditional western or judaeo-christian background, and briefly why?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Hi... am curious if there are any folks here who have come to Hinduism from a traditional western or judaeo-christian background, and briefly why?
I did, I was raised catholic, but became an agnostic because I didn't find much fulfillment or sense there, I remained agnostic for several years until I discovered the teachings of my guru, I felt deep in my heart that it was my path and took it

Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I did, I was raised catholic, but became an agnostic because I didn't find much fulfillment or sense there, I remained agnostic for several years until I discovered the teachings of my guru, I felt deep in my heart that it was my path and took it
Yup, am a "lapsed Catholic" myself, and personally became interested in Hinduism from visiting friends living on Bali, which of course is largely Hindu, albeit a version brought over by east Indian spice traders 2,000 years ago (a.k.a. "Agama Hindu Dharma").

I was impressed with its empirical approach (unique among religions), which according to the Vedas even thousands of years ago attempted to understand things like the nature of the universe, the speed of light, the distance between the sun and the earth, complex mathematics, and even predicted the existence of multiple dimensions (now a mainstream theory in quantum physics). Equally impressive was the notion that Hinduism embraces all religions (even if they don't embrace Hinduism!).

But I confess that the "pantheon" of gods took awhile to understand, until I eventually grasped the idea of "non-duality" co-existing with the many expressions of reality, consciousness & divinity that the "gods" represent. Although there is a form of "yoga" in which some Hindus do worship their favorite gods & goddesses as literally as many Christians worship Jesus.

Especially intriguing is the idea that Jesus may have visited India and that his teachings could have come from Hindu gurus:
Jesus Lived in India

Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Yup, am a "lapsed Catholic" myself, and personally became interested in Hinduism from visiting friends living on Bali, which of course is largely Hindu, albeit a version brought over by east Indian spice traders 2,000 years ago (a.k.a. "Agama Hindu Dharma").

I was impressed with its empirical approach (unique among religions), which according to the Vedas even thousands of years ago attempted to understand things like the nature of the universe, the speed of light, the distance between the sun and the earth, complex mathematics, and even predicted the existence of multiple dimensions (now a mainstream theory in quantum physics). Equally impressive was the notion that Hinduism embraces all religions (even if they don't embrace Hinduism!).

But I confess that the "pantheon" of gods took awhile to understand, until I eventually grasped the idea of "non-duality" co-existing with the many expressions of reality, consciousness & divinity that the "gods" represent. Although there is a form of "yoga" in which some Hindus do worship their favorite gods & goddesses as literally as many Christians worship Jesus.

Especially intriguing is the idea that Jesus may have visited India and that his teachings could have come from Hindu gurus:
Jesus Lived in India
Hinduism is deep. it is a nest of phillosophies and schools of thought that discovered the mystery of life by disciplined and deep insight, there are many approaches and flavors, but what trascends them is the quest for self realization, and the concept of one way to reach that goal, and not the way to do it, which is the basis of hinduism.

I follow the path taught by Paramahansa Yogananda, who is my guru

About Jesus in India, you should see these threads they have very interesting info regarding Jesus in India.

Was Christ a Yogi?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:26 AM

917 posts, read 2,299,304 times
Quote:
Hinduism is deep. it is a nest of phillosophies and schools of thought that discovered the mystery of life by disciplined and deep insight, there are many approaches and flavors, but what trascends them is the quest for self realization, and the concept of one way to reach that goal, and not the way to do it, which is the basis of hinduism.

About Jesus in India, you should see these threads they have very interesting info regarding Jesus in India.

Was Christ a Yogi?
Do you guys do shabda yoga? The yoga of the sound current. I studied with a group for about 30 years and now I have all my "tones". I agree however that the typical christian,jew or athiest is not too interested in any of the more esoteric teachings. I wish there was a forum for people more like us. The athiest forum works better for me then the others, at least they being free-thinkers don't dump on those of us who don't believe in the bible.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Was Christ a Yogi?
Thanks for the interesting links, and you certainly aroused the Fundamentalists here (LOL!), plus a Hare Krishna or two!!

Although my own "path" seems to relate more to the Nyaya & Vaisheshika schools of Hinduism, I also admire and respect the wisdom of the great Vedantists like Yogananda, Aurobindo, and Krishnamurti. Also, dunno whether you're aware of contemporary philosopher Ken Wilber (author of "A Theory of Everything"), who was heavily influenced by Aurobindo, and Mahayana Buddhism. Namaste!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
I find the Eastern belief systems far more logical than the Abrahamic beliefs. Mateo45, I also struggled with the "number of gods" in the Hindu system until I understood the nature of Non-dualism, then it made perfect sense, these are nothing but symbols.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Terry, Abrahamic beliefs are eastern too

Anyway, I thought I'd post in here too. After all, this is the religion from my own backyard.

Reading the experiences of catholics converting to Hinduism owing to apparent disillusionment, I find my own case the exact opposite. Not my very own though, as in personally own case.

My ancestors were Hindu. They converted to catholicism owing to severe racial discrimination and humiliating treatment.

They obtained from Catholicism what they were denied by the Hinduism they were born of - Equality.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the interesting links, and you certainly aroused the Fundamentalists here (LOL!), plus a Hare Krishna or two!!

Although my own "path" seems to relate more to the Nyaya & Vaisheshika schools of Hinduism, I also admire and respect the wisdom of the great Vedantists like Yogananda, Aurobindo, and Krishnamurti. Also, dunno whether you're aware of contemporary philosopher Ken Wilber (author of "A Theory of Everything"), who was heavily influenced by Aurobindo, and Mahayana Buddhism. Namaste!
I find Nyaya & Vaisheshika quite interesting, in my case Yoga was what resonated the most within my soul.

I hadn't heard of Ken Wilber, but I'm going to check it out for sure.

Don't you find sanskrit very interesting?

Namaste
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality