Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:54 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times

Advertisements

What if God does prove itself to us, but we cannot understand it?

Maybe God is proving itself to us in a very sophisticated, subtle manner, so that only the wisest and most evolved of us will see this "proof". Or maybe the proof of God is in the astral plane, and the average Joe can't get there to find it?

You all seem to be thinking that God should appear in the sky and yell "This is God here! I exist!" It's kind of a stupid thing to think would happen.

And why do people always call God "He". Shouldn't God be an "it"?

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 04-14-2009 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:03 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Maybe God is proving itself to us in a very sophisticated, subtle manner, so that only the wisest and most evolved of us will see this "proof".

Quote:
Or maybe the proof of God is in the astral plane, and the average Joe can't get there to find it?

Quote:
You all seem to be thinking that God should appear in the sky and yell "This is God here! I exist!" It's kind of a stupid thing to think would happen.
Explain why the bolded sentence is true.

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,315,933 times
Quote:
What if God does itself to us, but we cannot understand it?

Maybe God is proving itself to us in a very sophisticated, subtle manner, so that only the wisest and most evolved of us will see this "proof". Or maybe the proof of God is in the astral plane, and the average Joe can't get there to find it?

Maybe you're right in that it's sophisticated and subtle, but it seems unnecessarily complicated, doesn't it? Why is it silly to think that a creator should make himself detectable to the senses of his creation? it seems less logical to me to believe in something with no evidence whatsoever. I understand the concept of faith, but it could also just be used as a convenient excuse. A device to stop any further questions.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsdfz View Post
As I look around these forums, I can't help but notice people pleading for evidence of God's existence. God does not NEED to prove himself. Someone please show me, in the Bible, where it says GOD MUST PROVE HIMSELF. He does not need to. Why SHOULD God prove himself? Even if He DID, the disbelievers would still be...disbelievers - just like those that don't believe we landed on the moon to THIS DATE, they wouldn't believe in God if he appeared before them.

As far as I am concerned, look at your hands, feet, your child. Look at the trees, the sky, the sunset. Drink water, breathe air. That is good enough proof to me that we were created on a planet that we can live on. However, God needs no REASON to prove Himself to anyone. It is your choice to find Him, not for Him to find you.
If God cares to save the 2/3 of the world's population that is not christian from hell (that's 4 billion people), and is the only one who can convert the entire world, he owes it to us to provide a reason to believe or else he's just a big jerk. Especially since, as the theology goes, he created the rule that you go to hell if you don't believe, and then refuses to provide evidence. Rather, he just sits in heaven with folded arms and watches demons in hell torture the entire population of human history for eternity. And the vulnerable souls keep rollin in, as more and more non-christians die every year...

Of course, if you don't believe the hell scare story, then God does not have a reason to prove himself, and we have no reason to believe either... that or he just doesn't exist and we are wasting time with too many dubious assumptions like, well, everything in the bible.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post

Explain why the bolded sentence is true.

Don't worry, I'll wait.
What was the point of all these emoticons? Communicate to me in words, and maybe i'll get back to you.......

Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,692 times
Quote:
What if God does prove itself to us, but we cannot understand it?

No good teacher would think this is a good way to educate the masses. Good teachers look at the results and adjust the curriculum until everyone gets it.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Maybe you're right in that it's sophisticated and subtle, but it seems unnecessarily complicated, doesn't it? Why is it silly to think that a creator should make himself detectable to the senses of his creation? it seems less logical to me to believe in something with no evidence whatsoever. I understand the concept of faith, but it could also just be used as a convenient excuse. A device to stop any further questions.
Because God is the most infinitely powerful idea in the universe. You really expect it to be simple? In what form would you expect for God to show itself? Many people meditate for decades just to understand God a little bit. Yet Christians think God is their buddy who talks to them like a person.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
No good teacher would think this is a good way to educate the masses. Good teachers look at the results and adjust the curriculum until everyone gets it.
That's the truth obviously. Well said.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,281 times
Quote:
Because God is the most infinitely powerful idea in the universe. You really expect it to be simple? In what form would you expect for God to show himself? Many people meditate for decades just to understand God a little bit. Yet Christians think God is their buddy who talks to them like a person.
If it is infinitely powerful, wouldn't that include the 'simple' power to be discernable by humans?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:19 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsdfz View Post
God has given us the Bible to READ it and UNDERSTAND it. The Bible, has been tested time and time and time AND time again. It is the most tested Book..wait..most tested THING that has ever been on THIS earth.

What I am suggesting is who are we to question our creator? We are here for a purpose whether you like it or not. That's all I need to know. I know my purpose in life and why I'm here. Do you?

You won't like this, but - no, we did not form from ooze. No, we did not form from monkeys. No, "nothing" did not one day appear and POOF, humans, birds, dinosaurs grew. Did you know the Bible mentions dinosaurs PLENTY of times?
Exactly. We did not form from monkeys. We arose from millenia of slowly accumulating changes in our DNA from our ancestors the chimps (not the monkeys. Read. Learn.)

In the bible "creation" version, one day dinosaurs, birds, fish, T-Rexs; virtually everything, "Insta-Poof", suddenly appeared. And only if you assume a sort of Nostradamus-like vague interpretation of prophesy can you so confidently assign biblical content to factual statements about dinosuars. For example, where does the bible cover what happened to them? I musta missed that prophetic part...

I'm not being condescending, no more than the assumptive tone taken in the OP in this Religion & Philosophy forum. This is not the nice safe Christianity forum, nor the place where we atheists can hang safely together. This is "out there", where you can expect some comments if you mention that God doesn't need to prove himself to anyone. I simply noted that he does, in fact! Definitely. If his intention is as you state.

I simply presented my opinion and the basis for my decisions on Christianity, having changed in my early 20s from being a believer, then examining what was placed in front of me, and thus changing.

You can make statements like "Who are we who are created by God, to question Him? God does not have to give us signs and wonders. I use to ask God show me this or show me that, but that was out of ignorance and I reevaluated my relationship with God."

Would your God rather that we never question him? Is he afraid of inquiry, especially if he made our minds?

or this..."has it ever entered your mind those wonderful inventions didn't EVOLVE on their own? I think you get my point...."

I don't really. You confuse our evolved abstract thinking abilities and our opposable thumb's success with your God's ability to bypass logical requirements. Evolution does not allow cats changing into dogs. That's just Answers in Genesis type nonsense, and shows a spectacular scientific illiteracy coupled with a parroting of very old, tired and mis-informed statements. Hey folks: this is the 21st Century, not the 17th!

As said before, science has proved a number of "theories" beyond your understanding of that word. It doesn't mean a "hunch" or "a poorly developed idea". It means a set of tested laws, proposed, then tested, and finally accepted by the larger community of rational thinkers.

Isn't it amazing that Christians always condescend towards scientific research, and the thinking of those of us who taken a different tack in life. But when they make their statements in an open forum, they get quite upset when someone openly and logically disagrees. No doubt because you assume your version is right, and mine is, stupidly, wrong.

How's that work exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality