Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:24 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmahorn View Post
If it is infinitely powerful, wouldn't that include the 'simple' power to be discernable by humans?
If there is a God, I don't think it has a personality and it will want to communicate with us. It's probably much more like a force or an energy. You all are personifying God way too much. Thinking that God is a watching, thinking entity. If there is a God, i'd bet everything I have that it is not like that.

Why must God be an entity? Maybe it is more like an energy, similar to gravity? Jst an energy in the universe.....

Maybe gravity is God? And we just can't tell yet. See what i'm saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Because God is the most infinitely powerful idea in the universe. You really expect it to be simple? In what form would you expect for God to show itself? Many people meditate for decades just to understand God a little bit. Yet Christians think God is their buddy who talks to them like a person.

I actually don't expect anything least of all that a god would show itself in any form. But I am not talking about my beliefs here, I am questioning your logic. The idea of a god is only infinitely powerful to those who choose to believe it. To others it is as powerful as any other mythology, that is, (at most) a good moralistic tale. I could also argue that people meditate for many decades just to know their own mind.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:28 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,332 times
Quote:
If there is a God, I don't think it has a personality and it will want to communicate with us. It's probably much more like a force or an energy. You all are personifying God way too much. Thinking that God is a watching, thinking entity. If there is a God, i'd bet everything I have that it is not like that.

Why must God be an entity? Maybe it is more like an energy, similar to gravity? Jst an energy in the universe.....

I don't know if this was directed at me, but I just used the term "it" because you did. I was merely posting a hypothetical within the framework of what you had said.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
What was the point of all these emoticons? Communicate to me in words, and maybe i'll get back to you.......
It means your arguments are illogical.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
It means your arguments are illogical.
If you had enough intelligence to speak in depth instead of simply insulting me at a 1st grade level, maybe you would find that there is logic to it? Give it a try.....

Old 04-14-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I actually don't expect anything least of all that a god would show itself in any form. But I am not talking about my beliefs here, I am questioning your logic. The idea of a god is only infinitely powerful to those who choose to believe it. To others it is as powerful as any other mythology, that is, (at most) a good moralistic tale. I could also argue that people meditate for many decades just to know their own mind.
If there is a God then this God woud most likely be the most powerful thing in the universe, correct?

So when I say "infinitely powerful" I guess it would be more accurate to say "the most powerful force in the universe".

When I think of the most powerful thing in the universe, I think of an impersonal, all pervading force. I think of something that exists in another dimension. Something that transcends time and space. Something that defies the laws of physics, and exists in planes of reality that w cannot even comprehend yet. Theoretical physicists are just barel beginning to explore these horizons.

I do not think of a consciousness that would purposely do specific acts. Especially communicate with humans.

So, just because something is infinitely powerful. That does not mean that it will do ANYTHING. It could still obey certain laws of physics. Yet within it's realm of existance, the power is infinite, or very close to it.

I'll use gravity as a comparison again. Gravity is consistant throughout the universe. Here on Earth, gravity will not suddenly "decide" to turn down lower over your house so you will float over everyone else , who stay on the ground. Because gravity does not make decisions, it just exists.

This is how I think of God.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 04-14-2009 at 11:00 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Quote:

Funkymonk, you told me in one of your post that you believed that God was powerful, now you are saying if there is a God?????

God is not an it, He is God.

The reason people or I personalize God, is because He took the time to personalize Himself to His people. If God never came and made Himself known, then we would not know Him.

It sounds like you are making things way to hard.

God is powerful and all knowing, but we can go to God in prayer, and He can respond to His people. Can an all powerful God, not respond to us?

It is very confusing to me, to hear someone say that God is powerful, then say if there is a God. It seems like you are all over the place.

Quote:
Maybe gravity is God? And we just can't tell yet. See what i'm saying?[/
Is this what you are calling all powerful, no I don't understand what you are saying.

Quote:
I think that hearing God is a very, very ,very difficult and sophisticated thing to do.
You said that hearing God is very difficult. But now you are saying if there is a God, but then say that hearing God is very, very, very difficult. So, which is it?

Quote:
I see God as something that cannot talk, and he personally will not listen to us, God is an infinite force, we is not our friend.
You said that God was powerful, but then said that He want talk. Then you call God Him, which He is, but then call Him an it. You said that you believed in God or had some type of relationship with God, but you are now calling God an it, and saying maybe there is a God.

Quote:
I do have a relationship with God
What type of relationship do you have with God? I'm just curious what type of relationship do you have because when you talk about God, you don't really talk about Him in high standing.

You call God an it, says He want talk or respond, and others.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 04-14-2009 at 11:09 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 PM

455 posts, read 1,018,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post

So God is a He? Does God have a penis? Male reproductive organs?

Old 04-14-2009, 11:05 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times
Quote:
If there is a God then this God woud most likely be the most powerful thing in the universe, correct?

So when I say "infinitely powerful" I guess it would be more accurate to say "the most powerful force in the universe".

When I think of the most powerful thing in the universe, I think of an impersonal, all pervading force. I think of something that exists in another dimension. Something that transcends time and space. Something that defies the laws of physics, and exists in planes of reality that w cannot even comprehend yet. Theoretical physicists are just barel beginning to explore these horizons.

I do not think of a consciousness that would purposely do specific acts. Especially communicate with humans.

I'll use gravity as a comparison again. Gravity is consistant throughout the universe. Here on earth, gravity will not suddenly "decide" to turn down lower over your house so you will float will everyone else stays on the ground. Because gravity does not make decisions, it just exists.

This is how I think of God.
I'm glad you started with "if there is a God" because then I can say that for the most part I agree with you. If there is something then I think it would probably be as you describe but with one exception. I think it would work within the laws of physics, but perhaps closer to quantum physics than what we experience in our reality. If the universe or the energy of the universe is God then why would it necessarily exist outside the physics of it's own creation? Maybe we just don't understand enough yet about physics on every level of existance.

On the other hand there might be nothing at all......

Old 04-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Funkymonk, you told me in one of your post that you believed that God was powerful, now you are saying if there is a God?????

The reason people or I personalize God, is because He took the time to personalize Himself to His people. If God never came and made Himself known, then we would not know Him.

It sounds like you are making things way to hard.

God is powerful and all knowing, but we can go to God in prayer, and He can respond to His people. Can an all powerful God, not respond to us?

It is very confusing to me, to hear someone say that God is powerful, then say if there is a God. It seems like you are all over the place.

Is this what you are calling all powerful, no I don't understand what you are saying.

You said that God hearing God is very difficult. But now you are saying if there is a God.

You said that God was powerful, but then said that He want talk. Then you call God Him, which He is, but then call Him an it. You said that you believed in God or had some type of relationship with God, but you are not calling God an it, and saying maybe there is a God.

What type of relationship do you have with God?
Your confusion comes from the fact that you are obviously thinking about God in a strictly Christian paradigm. I am not a Christian and I have a very unique way of looking at God, thus the confusion.

I have my ideas about God, yet I will not close my mind and stubbornly cling to these ideas as dogma. I accept the fact that God is infinitely mysterious.

My relationship with God? That's complicated. I do have a relationship with God. I do not need to strictly cling to one religion to have this relationship. It exists within me, and in this world I live in.

There is a God. But this God might not be very Godly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality