Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:19 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
This has nothing to do with God and who He is.

Actually it has nothing to do with misinformation, it is what I found out when I did the research. I can give you a few before I go to sleep.

My perseption has nothing to do with me being christian, it is how I see Buddhism and certain aspects, just like you see certain aspects of Christianity that is only opinion.

Some who practice Buddhism, believe that you go through many cycles of birth, living, death and rebirth. A person is believed that the individual may recur repeatedly. Also, some who practice Buddhism who believes in the rebirth may not necessarily return to earth as the same entity ever again.

Also Nirvana is believed to be the persons attachment to the desired self, which much be released to get to Nirvana.

This in only a few and don't feel like listing any more due to being tired.

But I feel that this is limited thinking, but once again this is just my opinion.
I agree with you about the reincarnation thing. I don't think a person should believe this concept with 100% faith, because it is in the realm of the unknowable and mysterious.

I do not understand what you said about Nirvana But I do not see anything to question about this concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 10:37 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
good night to you all!! and may the god force be with you.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:08 PM

300 posts, read 734,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
good night to you all!! and may the god force be with you.
Use farce, Luke! For my schwartz is bigga!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:32 AM

124 posts, read 321,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
Is there a possibility that Criss Angel, David Copperfield, et.al., have real magical powers? I know they said the tricks they do are just illusions and sleigh of hands... but there are some tricks they did that are just impossible for humans to do. Could they have made a pact with the Devil in exchange for great wealth, fame, and glory?

In the Bible we read there were sorcerers and magicians in the court of the Pharaoh who duplicated the miraculous feats performed by Moses... such as turning his staff into a live snake. That gives us something to think about. You can go to the Library and find many fictional novels regarding people who sold their souls to the Devil by making a pact with him for worldly fame and glory...hmmm... Could there may be some truth to it?

Are you 12 or something.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroyals View Post
Are you 12 or something.
He is probably an adult. It's sad, but i've heard many, many adults say things even worse than this when you start talking religion with them.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
David Copperfield has the ability to make women's taste in men disappear.

But seriously, "magic"? I guess if you buy into the stories in ancient myths, just about anything seems plausible.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:07 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I agree with you about the reincarnation thing. I don't think a person should believe this concept with 100% faith, because it is in the realm of the unknowable and mysterious.

I do not understand what you said about Nirvana But I do not see anything to question about this concept.
I'm rather suprised that you don't know or understand what Nirvana is, since you say that you practice Buddhism.

The goal of Buddhism is Nirvana. Nirvana is the ultimate state of awareness, and state of harmony. Also it is cessation of all suffering, the very opposite of death. This is what Buddhist aspire to experience.

Maybe you should do more research on this, if this is what you are into. If you are going to believe in something, it is helpful to understand the basics of the practice, tradition, or belief. Just some advice.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I'm rather suprised that you don't know or understand what Nirvana is, since you say that you practice Buddhism.

The goal of Buddhism is Nirvana. Nirvana is the ultimate state of awareness, and state of harmony. Also it is cessation of all suffering, the very opposite of death. This is what Buddhist aspire to experience.

Maybe you should do more research on this, if this is what you are into. If you are going to believe in something, it is helpful to understand the basics of the practice, tradition, or belief. Just some advice.
I know what Nirvana is

What I did not understand is why you brought it up, and called it a questionable concept.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,683 times
Quote:
I do not understand what you said about Nirvana
These are your words, my explanation was not confusing.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
These are your words, my explanation was not confusing.
I said that I do not understand what YOU said about Nirvana.

Not, I do not understand Nirvana.

What is confusing about that?

You said "Also Nirvana is believed to be the persons attachment to the desired self, which much be released to get to Nirvana." And I did not understand this because it's got typos and it's badly written. THIS is what I was saying I did not understand.

Back to my original question..... what do you find questionable or untrue about the concept of Nirvana, which ou wee trying to describe in that post? I'm really curious because I don't see anything to be skeptical about with it. I have found the concept of Nirvana to be a very universal idea, with roots in almost every religion.

I think this concept has its roots in Christianity too. But lately Christians have gone astray from practicing this aspect of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality