Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 AM

63,741 posts, read 40,011,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
But it would leave the choice of whether or not we wish to worship him, obey his commands, and be good (according to his standards). Isn't that a much more important and meaningful choice?
Only if that were what God wanted. God has no need of worship, or obedience . . . they were means to the end of developing spiritual maturity that were necessary in our species spiritual childhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 01:13 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,300,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
Is there a possibility that Criss Angel, David Copperfield, et.al., have real magical powers? I know they said the tricks they do are just illusions and sleigh of hands... but there are some tricks they did that are just impossible for humans to do. Could they have made a pact with the Devil in exchange for great wealth, fame, and glory?

In the Bible we read there were sorcerers and magicians in the court of the Pharaoh who duplicated the miraculous feats performed by Moses... such as turning his staff into a live snake. That gives us something to think about. You can go to the Library and find many fictional novels regarding people who sold their souls to the Devil by making a pact with him for worldly fame and glory...hmmm... Could there may be some truth to it?
Well, I can't say that there magic tricks are real, but the devil can perform signs and wonders also. I'm not calling them the devil, I'm just saying.

And you are right, the bible does talk about sorcerers and magicians, as well as psychics, and mediums. God can't lie, so the question is do we have sorcerers and magicans in our time alive today, I would say probably yes. The devil and use any one.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:35 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,132,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
Well, I can't say that there magic tricks are real, but the devil can perform signs and wonders also. I'm not calling them the devil, I'm just saying.

And you are right, the bible does talk about sorcerers and magicians, as well as psychics, and mediums. God can't lie, so the question is do we have sorcerers and magicans in our time alive today, I would say probably yes. The devil and use any one.
Do you see how limiting it is to always have to try to fit things into a Christian paradigm? Do you see how your religion is making your thoughts narrow, and forcing you to think in a very limited way?

I really do not mean this as an insult. I'm just being honest.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:46 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,842,719 times
If I can see God...therefore I can't believe in him at all.
Why he suffered all these times to introduce himself to us ( The prophets, The holy books)..and our minds which refuse now to believe in him by many people.

Close your eyes and you will see him very clearly.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:54 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,300,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Do you see how limiting it is to always have to try to fit things into a Christian paradigm? Do you see how your religion is making your thoughts narrow, and forcing you to think in a very limited way?

I really do not mean this as an insult. I'm just being honest.
WEll, I don't take it as an insult, but I am not fitting God into a Christian paradigm. You seem to really like that word. I don't limit God, because a powerful God can't be limited.

And I also hope that you don't see my opinion of how you view God as an insult, but you see an all powerful God, but don't think that He can do powerful things, now I think that you are fitting God into a your thoughts that seem to be narrow, which is forcing you tho think in a very limited way.

The Almighty is powerful and can do what ever He likes, but you have the choice to limit God in your mind. That is your choice, but my choice is to trust God and not limit what God can do in my life and others.

Once again this is only your opinion and I could also think that Buddhism is very limited, but that would only be my opinion.

I worship and reference God, but I don't call Him the Christian God. That is not the name that He have given us to call Him. He has many names and Christian God is not any of them.

He has many names Yahweh, Elohim, Abba, Father, El Kanno, El Shaddai, El Elyon, Jesus, Yeshua, The God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob. We just happen to be Christian who are worshipping the same God of the Jewish people.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:10 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,167,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
Is there a possibility that Criss Angel, David Copperfield, et.al., have real magical powers? I know they said the tricks they do are just illusions and sleigh of hands... but there are some tricks they did that are just impossible for humans to do. Could they have made a pact with the Devil in exchange for great wealth, fame, and glory?
And you know this how? Explain your background in performing illusions. I actually was really into magic when I was young. You'd be surprised how many things you can do with a little trickery and sleight of hand.

YouTube - Jim Callahan finds Criss Angel an ideological bigot

YouTube - Criss Angel Interview by Penn Jillette
Seems Mr. Angel doesn't even entertain the idea of "real" magic or powers. Obviously, because there is no such thing.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
God can't lie,
So you are admitting that "god" isn't all-powerful?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:22 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,499,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
So you are admitting that "god" isn't all-powerful?
No, no, no, you see, God can't lie because God said he would always tell the truth, so if God lied that would make God a liar.

Makes sense now, eh?

Old 04-19-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
No, no, no, you see, God can't lie because God said he would always tell the truth, so if God lied that would make God a liar.

Makes sense now, eh?
I'd have to down a whole bottle of rum for that to make any sense at all.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:29 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,499,484 times
I tell you what. I'll test all of this out for you.

If one can make a pact with the devil and learn magic, just tell me what to do and I'll make the pact. I'm willing to risk eternity in hell, just so you good people can find out the answer to this little mystery.

In fact, I will sell my soul to the devil just to learn how to juggle. Tell me how to do it, and I'll be your guinie pig.

Will this work:?

Dear Mr. Devil.

I hearby offer to give you my eternal soul, worship you, bring you sandwhiches upon your command, do your laundery, and whatever else you would have me do, if in exchange you can instantly teach me to juggle four balls in the air for an extended period of time. Mr. Devil, I don't need anything fancy, I would just really love to know how to juggle. Whatever pact I have to make with you, I hereby make.

(Limited time offer, only two souls per caller, please. Operators are standing by.)

SINcerely,

Boxcar Overkill

That should work, eh?

When should I expect to learn how to juggle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality