Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 01:35 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,929,647 times

Advertisements

A few questions for the Christian responders in these open R&P forums:

1. Why do you generally not directly answer the politely posed questions we atheists ask in our open debates?

Next: We generally read the links you provide as evidence for your side of the argument. How do I know this? Because we often then cut and paste key debatable phrases or paragraphs out of them and discuss them further. Even if we mock them, at least we’ve obviously read them.

2. Why do you generally not read or comment on the links we provide?

3. Would any confirmed Christian here be willing to provide short one or two paragraph summary explanations of:

Evolution,

DNA/RNA,

the basics of dating methods and/or;

Abiogenesis versus Evolution.

Anyone? Anyone? There will be a substantial surprise positive reward. I promise. No nasty responses, at least not from me, and I'd encourage my atheist brothers, however low we are ethically and morally, to refrain from attack-mode answers on this thread.

Finally, just out of curiosity, I’d like to know (informal poll because I don’t yet know how to set up one of those loverly C-D forum polls)…

4. The typical college curricula that Christians undertook if they attended college or University, or if they took Science classes in high school, or not. By choice. And the atheists can answer this question as well, just for comparison.

A short comment, such as: “I’m a confirmed Christian, and I never took any University Science or biology classes”, or “ditto", but I took Advanced Genetics and Evolution Theory, but am still a confirmed Christian”; or “I’m a flaming atheist and took a biology /physics / geology minor or major”.

This is NOT an attempt to trap anyone. My questions might initially appear to be of the "Are you still beating your wife?" sort of troll-baiting type, but I'm sincerely interested in understanding what I see as a reliable pattern in the typical Christian responses on our various threads.

It would be both fun, illuminating and interesting to know this, don’t you think?

Last edited by rifleman; 04-21-2009 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 02:01 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,751,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
1. Why do you generally not directly answer the politely posed questions we atheists ask in our open debates?
We Abrahamic fundamentalists and frozen fish fillets have "politely" answered the "over-polite" questions of the Atheist visionaries and microwaved fish fillets. There have been tons of threads, rifleman.

Quote:
Why do we want to read links which begin like, "theliberalatheist.org"?

Quote:
3. Would any confirmed Christian here be willing to provide short one or two paragraph summary explanations of:

Evolution,

DNA/RNA,

Anyone? Anyone? There will be a substantial surprise positive reward. I promise. No nasty responses, at least not from me, and I'd encourage my atheist brothers, however low we are ethically and morally, to refrain from attack-mode answers on this thread.
I don't know if you can Gandhi this crowd into silence. But why does a christian have to subjected to a quiz contest? Would the positive reward be your conversion? I'll be honored to re-baptize you

Quote:
4. The typical college curricula that Christians undertook if they attended college or University, or if they took Science classes in high school, or not. By choice. And the atheists can answer this question as well, just for comparison.
I'm a hardcore electronics engineer. Went to a reputed institute, if that impresses you. I was/am still a semiconductor whiz kid. I can beat the heck out of anyone in coding, if this impresses you even more

Old 04-21-2009, 02:21 PM

783 posts, read 1,327,626 times
I will gladly answer your question.

Your use of Evolution to discredit Christianity is actually a disgrace to credible scientists and respectable authorities. I’m sorry, but not surprised, that you are unable to engage in beneficial discussions on the topic with Christians. You must understand that authentic science can not be confused with religion, they are fundamentally different concepts and can not be used to explain or define each other.

It is obvious that Evolution is simply the instrument you use to justify your disbelief in Christianity; that is your purgative. You also have the privilege to degrade those who believe differently than you do however, that is not license to demand that everyone will agree with you or else... My observation has lead me to conclude that you have been shown far more respect than you and some others have shown people who have responded to your editorials.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:25 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,758,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Why do we want to read links which begin like, "theliberalatheist.org"?
Because you might learn something, just maybe? Even if you don't agree with it, you'd at least get a better glimpse into how we think. I don't understand why you would be afraid of that, unless you fear finding out that we're actually right.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:43 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,897,507 times
Yeah your whole OP (and most of your posts) come across condescending, arrogant, and frankly, too over-the-top insulting to merit much participation....but against my better judgment, I'll bite.

Quote:
That's way too general to answer 'across the board'. Not all of us feel inclined to answer every thread and also remember that a lot of 'us' have been here longer than you and many (if not all) of the questions have been answered before. We(or at least I) frequently give answers and realize that the answers I give just aren't 'good enough' for the skeptic or non-believer. Doesn't mean they aren't legitimate....just means they weren't 'good enough' for a particular poster.

Quote:
I can't speak to why some don't, I usually do, but I thought CA's response up above is also valid. We all do have biases, rifleman, and I'm sure you'd even admit that.

Quote:

Evolution,

DNA/RNA,

Evolution: the belief that series of small changes in species eventually leads to new species.

DNA/RNA-The building blocks of all life as we know it.

Dating methods: Not sure what you are looking for here. Carbon? Radiometric? All dating methods (in my rudimentary understanding) are based on known information(generally over a short period of time) applied to evidence that is very old. Lots of assumptions and and lots of extrapolation (is that a word? I'm pretty dense, ya know? Bible believer and all)

Abiogenesis vs. Evolution: We don't draw much distinction between the two. But then again, neither did Darwin for what, exactly, is the 'Origin of the Species'? Other species? Come on, rifleman, ultimately the 'Origin of the Species' IS Abiogenesis. But I do realize that from strictly a debate/discussion standpoint the two should and are separate issues and I usually try and stick to that fact. That said, I haven't wasted much effort in evolution vs Creationism threads in a while. I've never seen much progress either way on convincing others of anything. Usually Creationists rant and rave about how God is mad at Evolutionists and Evolutionists reign supreme on back-handed insults. It's tiring.

Quote:
Science is, of course, mandatory in high school. Don't you know this?

As far as college, several animal biology and taxonomy courses....but it wasn't my major.

You didn't ask but I will also add that I am currently a small business owner(real estate) and actively employed. I read above an 8th grade level and can spell racecar backwards almost as fact as I can frontwards. I put my pants on generally left leg first and usually urinate standing up (although sometimes I have to lean on a wall or occasionally a friend). We(Christians) generally consider ourselves mammals BUT NOT animals. We're human, after all!

Hope this information shines some light on the dim folks calling themselves Christian!

Last edited by Alpha8207; 04-21-2009 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: ironic typo---fixed now

Old 04-21-2009, 03:57 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,751,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Because you might learn something, just maybe? Even if you don't agree with it, you'd at least get a better glimpse into how we think. I don't understand why you would be afraid of that, unless you fear finding out that we're actually right.
Fear? Nice try, pal

I'm a student of history, though not a professional historian.

I read Persian accounts of the devilish Alexander the accursed. I also read romantic accounts of Alexander the Great.

Persian accounts are driven by pain/angst. Romantic accounts are driven by hagiography.

Why exactly would I empathize with your romance with the Persian account?

Disclaimer: Allegories don't mean I am likening Alex to God

Old 04-21-2009, 04:03 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,355,396 times
Quote:
A few questions for the Christian responders in these open R&P forums:

Next: We generally read the links you provide as evidence for your side of the argument. How do I know this? Because we often then cut and paste key debatable phrases or paragraphs out of them and discuss them further. Even if we mock them, at least we’ve obviously read them.
When in reality the questions are asked in a polite manner in which it shows the person is genuinely interested, I answer to the best of my ability.

Quote:
I'm very bad about going to and reading links because I just don't have the time. I'd much rather it be condensed into simple words right here on the boards.

Quote:
3.Would any confirmed Christian here be willing to provide short one or two paragraph summary explanations of:

Evolution,

DNA/RNA,

I honestly don't know enough to write one or two paragraphs on the above.

Quote:
Finally, just out of curiosity, I’d like to know (informal poll because I don’t yet know how to set up one of those loverly C-D forum polls)…

A short comment, such as: “I’m a confirmed Christian, and I never took any University Science or biology classes”, or “ditto", but I took Advanced Genetics and Evolution Theory, but am still a confirmed Christian”; or “I’m a flaming atheist and took a biology /physics / geology minor or major”.

This is NOT an attempt to trap anyone. My questions might initially appear to be of the "Are you still beating your wife?" sort of troll-baiting type, but I'm sincerely interested in understanding what I see as a reliable pattern in the typical Christian responses on our various threads.

It would be both fun, illuminating and interesting to know this, don’t you think?
I am a Christian, who hated science in high school, and didn't go to college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207
Yeah your whole OP (and most of your posts) come across condescending, arrogant, and frankly, too over-the-top insulting to merit much participation...but against my better judgment, I'll bite.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:06 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,179,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Abiogenesis vs. Evolution: We don't draw much distinction between the two. But then again, neither did Darwin for what, exactly, is the 'Origin of the Species'? Other species? Come on, rifleman, ultimately the 'Origin of the Species' IS Abiogenesis. But I do realize that from strictly a debate/discussion standpoint the two should and are separate issues and I usually try and stick to that fact. That said, I haven't wasted much effort in evolution vs Creationism threads in a while. I've never seen much progress either way on convincing others of anything. Usually Creationists rant and rave about how God is mad at Evolutionists and Evolutionists reign supreme on back-handed insults. It's tiring.
Species and life are not synonomous. Species are different groups of the same organism. They are separated into species by the slight differences they have. That has nothing to do with abiogenesis. Evolution is about changes in organisms. Changes prominent enough to classify them as different species.

The origin of species and life are not the same thing.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:11 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,897,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Species and life are not synonomous. Species are different groups of the same organism. They are separated into species by the slight differences they have. That has nothing to do with abiogenesis. Evolution is about changes in organisms. Changes prominent enough to classify them as different species.

The origin of species and life are not the same thing.
I didn't say they were the same.

On the contrary, even a cursory reading reveals I said 'we' don't draw much distinction but in the arena of debate/discussion, I see and acknowledged they are two separate topics.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:18 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,777,538 times
Quote:

Well I do try and answer directly to questions. But I know where you're coming from because I too see it from most other Christians on this forum. But I try to be up front.

Quote:
I honestly really haven't gotten into debates with atheist on this forum. I'm usually in the Christianity sub-section

Quote:

I. Evolution,

II. DNA/RNA,

III.the basics of dating methods and/or;

I. Personally I believe in Evolution. I think to take the literal meaning Genesis is cooky. I hate to use the word, but it's kinda like an ancient myth. Something to communicate a truth, but in a symbolic or metaphorical way. I believe Evolution is HOW God created the Man and all other forms of life. It doesn't change the fact for me that God created everything I see.

II. What about it, Its the blue print for all life.

III. Also I'm confused about the question, you want to know how it works? They know the half-life of various atoms, and use that to determine age.

Quote:

Oh and I'm still going to Oklahoma State University. I'm in Mech and Aero Engineering. I love science. I'll take as much as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality