Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:34 PM

2,046 posts, read 919,543 times

Advertisements

This kind of thing drives me crazy as well. I've often joked that the JW have followed me all over the country when we've moved - they find me everywhere! I actually enjoy learning about different religions but this isn't usually how I would choose to do so. And, if I do decide to discuss it with any of them, I say upfront that I'm just interested in studying their religion so don't try to convert me! Unfortunately, so many churches get their members to do this (and always have) - it's part of their doctrine (or whatever you call it) - to spread the word. I really don't think they mean any harm and some people are receptive to it. However, if it's not for you I'd recommend the simple "I don't discuss religion with anyone but thank you". Sometimes being polite works best. If not, then you may have to get rude!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 04:35 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
You can also say, "sure, I'd love to hear about your religion. But let me tell you about mine first."

Because people who want to talk to you about their religious beliefs, rarely want to hear about yours.
Eh, I prefer pulling out an inverted pentagram and referring to it as your personal "rosary".

Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 PM

62 posts, read 163,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Why do people push their own beliefs on others?
I know exactly what you mean. I am a Christian and I get tired of atheists trying to push their (lack of) beliefs on me. And they always act so uppity about it—like they are just too sophisticated to have faith in God. Well just wait. After a 1,000 years of roasting in the fiery pit they won’t be so full of themselves then.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
everytime a gangbanger gets in your face and takes your wallet he is pushing his own beliefs on you.
some beliefs are worse than others.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Eh, I prefer pulling out an inverted pentagram and referring to it as your personal "rosary".

In the hallway of my house, in view of the front door we have a big ornate metal celtic cross (it's gorgeous, regardless of what religion you may subscribe to) and right above it we have a rather large pentacle. Many in my family are pagan and celebrate the 5 elements under spirit, so it means a lot that my uncle gave us this particular pentacle.

It is funny when the Jehovahs witnesses come by and see it though

Old 04-21-2009, 05:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
It's funny how the OP said she was not saved, but Lutheran. My mother's been a Lutheran for all of her 74 years and she feels she is "saved." But then again, she thinks the people in her Bible study are a bunch of heathens.

I live in The Bible Belt and the worst issue was with a co-worker who chased me around the office while I desperately looked for a supervisor. I guess she was going to beat religion into me.

One of the cutest moments was last week. I had two books on hold at the library. The librarian gave me a nasty look as she retrieved "God is Not Great" and "The God Delusion" from the shelves. I slunk out to my car and got into traffic. The bumper sticker ahead of me: "Sorry I missed church but I was busy practicing witchcraft and learning to be a lesbian." I laughed until I cried.

Last edited by hiknapster; 04-21-2009 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: verb tense

Old 04-21-2009, 05:50 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Thanks to Jesus and his disciples, christians are told to go forth and spread his word. Christians are into being missionaries.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:54 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexva View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I am a Christian and I get tired of atheists trying to push their (lack of) beliefs on me. And they always act so uppity about it—like they are just too sophisticated to have faith in God. Well just wait. After a 1,000 years of roasting in the fiery pit they won’t be so full of themselves then.
Really? When is the last time an atheist came knocking on your door, or handed you atheist literature? When were you last approached on the street and preached at by an atheist? When has an atheist asked you what church you attend, or if you are saved? When has an atheist ever told you, as you have just done, that you will roast in hell?

So let me ask you who holds themselves superior ( full of themselves )?

Old 04-21-2009, 05:56 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexva View Post
Right, us atheists are out preaching to people. Going door to door.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:50 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? When is the last time an atheist came knocking on your door, or handed you atheist literature? When were you last approached on the street and preached at by an atheist? When has an atheist asked you what church you attend, or if you are saved? When has an atheist ever told you, as you have just done, that you will roast in hell?

So let me ask you who holds themselves superior ( full of themselves )?

Look on the boards. Atheists say religion is fake, they insult our beliefs and say we have mental issues. It's not all atheists, just like not all religious people go door to door, but there are many who insult religion. They do tend to think they are better/smarter and braver. Christians don't insult atheists as much as atheists insult other religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality