Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:36 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,702,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've noticed that Christian missionaries who are out to convert people overwhelmingly target the poor and uneducated. I'm assuming that's because they're much easier to convert - Mormons found their cash cow in poor, uneducated Mexicans. The more educated and well off the potential convert is, the less likely they are to be swayed.
The great commission is to reach out and save people for the Lord. Missionary's can't help it that the majority of the unreached are in poor country's and neighborhoods. The rich snobs who hate God and \or think they are God are just not going to be swayed. They have their god.... MONEY........But it's all good, because when your money or your health is gone God will be there waiting for you...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:37 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,933,797 times
I've been watching the news about the BNP getting a seat over here, more specifically, about Nick Griffin saying that we need to close a door on immigrants and stop islam from spreading because he thinks it will cause the collapse of western civilization within 30 years if things keep going as they are.

Now whether you believe him or not, It does raise the question of just how influential some christians believe their religion to be. I don't understand how someone can say that their religion makes the most sense and at the same time fear that most of their own will be swayed merely by being exposed to another religion or other ways of thinking.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:57 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,491,598 times
True, but unfortunately, Islam is even worse than Christianity in terms of promoting liberal secular democracies and rational skeptical inquery.

To my knowledge, Islam is the only religion that's reformation led to a more radical, less tolerant religion. The rest went through their reformations and counter-reformations and basically ended up agreeing to ignore all the really harsh parts of their religion. Islam decide to promote the very worst of itself as it's leading appeal.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:37 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,829,250 times
Well, while i was in W. Africa, you could trade for more goods with a small sack full of corn seed, than you could for a case of bibles. The people were animist and, by in large, used the pages of the bibles for fire starting. Pragmatism at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality