Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdparty View Post
If I'm grand standing then you should have noticed this post

How do you even know what his theology was? You don't know what secto of Christianity he was in.

I know, I know. All the denominations of Christianity but yours are wrong. You stumbled upon the REAL ULTIMATE TRUTH! But everyone else is following misguided theology.

What denomination do you belong to, anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 11:55 PM

61 posts, read 87,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
hard to me to see how wizard of oz ties in
I think what Cypress Hill was trying to say when he was tossing the ham into the frying pan, with the Wizard of Oz analogy is that people of power, whether they be gods or mere men(in this case the Wizard of Oz), fear that the people they are controlling will ultimately stumble learn ideas and truths that take power away from the people they are trying to rule.

"Yes I'm the pirate, pilot of this ship,
if I get with the ultraviolet dream.
Hide from the red light beam.
Now do you believe in the unseen?
Look but don't make your eyes strain.
A ***** like me is going insane"

INSANEINDAMEMBRANE!
Love your topic, has got me thinking about the roles fear plays not only in religion but in the rest of the world and society as we know it today. Terrorist anyone? The war on terror? What a frightening idea. The concept of going to war agaisnt terrorism, is terrorism itself.
terrorism - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Fear is used by those in power, to manipulate the masses to achieve their own political agendas. Much like the use of religion (some religious institutions, not all - I feel I have to put this in to avoid religious attack) to make money.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Make me a believer View Post
I think what Cypress Hill was trying to say when he was tossing the ham into the frying pan, with the Wizard of Oz analogy is that people of power, whether they be gods or mere men(in this case the Wizard of Oz), fear that the people they are controlling will ultimately stumble learn ideas and truths that take power away from the people they are trying to rule.

"Yes I'm the pirate, pilot of this ship,
if I get with the ultraviolet dream.
Hide from the red light beam.
Now do you believe in the unseen?
Look but don't make your eyes strain.
A ***** like me is going insane"

INSANEINDAMEMBRANE!
Love your topic, has got me thinking about the roles fear plays not only in religion but in the rest of the world and society as we know it today. Terrorist anyone? The war on terror? What a frightening idea. The concept of going to war agaisnt terrorism, is terrorism itself.
terrorism - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Fear is used by those in power, to manipulate the masses to achieve their own political agendas. Much like the use of religion (some religious institutions, not all - I feel I have to put this in to avoid religious attack) to make money.
@ the Cypress Hill reference. Dug up that song a few months back and decided to use the name.

Thank you for making those other points there too.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:38 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,213,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdparty View Post
This sounds like a grudge against a church or some member of the church a sermon by the leaders or leader but that does not represent the theology. That would be like building an impression of some one you have never met based on the gosip of others who don't know that person them selves. Doesn't sound like christianty was some thing that intressed you two in the first place. Doubt is a commen part of any ones experience if you don't then your not thinking about it very much doubt doesn't necessarily make or break your decisions in life other wise we would all be single and job less, it is what you do about that doubt that leads to conclusion.
Holly **** batman, I guess you have the gift of discernment?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:55 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Interesting thread. But isn't it strange; third page and no christian responses. So much for the religion of "truth".

Old 04-24-2009, 09:17 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Interesting thread. But isn't it strange; third page and no christian responses. So much for the religion of "truth".
Well, to be honest, I was not expecting them to come in here with poms poms, however, I posted it for all to reply to and for all to consider.

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 04-24-2009 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-24-2009, 09:29 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Well, to be honest, I was not expecting them to com in here with poms poms, however, I posted it for all to reply to and for all to consider.
and it's very helpful, as far as i see.

because religion may not even be the cause for fear, but behavior patterns with religion used to justify/excuse them.

hope we're getting there.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 PM

283 posts, read 409,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
How do you even know what his theology was? You don't know what secto of Christianity he was in.

I know, I know. All the denominations of Christianity but yours are wrong. You stumbled upon the REAL ULTIMATE TRUTH! But everyone else is following misguided theology.

What denomination do you belong to, anyway?
wiki "Theology is the study of the existence or attributes of a God or gods, and of how that god or those gods relate to the world and especially to human existence; more generally, it is the study of religious faith, practice, and experience, or of spirituality. It is sometimes contrasted with religious studies:" I wasn't really concerned with what denomonation he was affiliated with why does that matter christianity is what it is wiki
"Christianity (from the word Xριστός "Christ") is a monotheistic religion[1] centered on the life and teachings of Jesus as presented in the New Testament.[2]" his post was pretty general as far as I could see.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
wow that was a fast write off friend. whats next global warming, big bang theory and evolution of man? heck there is time it not dark yet.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:19 PM

283 posts, read 409,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
wow that was a fast write off friend. whats next global warming, big bang theory and evolution of man? heck there is time it not dark yet.

Okay ya got me please continue I'm not sure what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality