Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:57 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,905 times

Advertisements

You've heard of people realizing they were born the wrong sex and somewhere during the course of their life they go through a sex change operation? Something I've always wondered and never gotten a grasp on is the following question. If you believe having sex with the same sex is a sin, then when a man has a sex change and becomes a woman, is he still sinning by having sex with men?

Okay, now the next question to the puzzle. What if this woman, (who used to be a man) accepts the Lord in her/his heart and has a true conversion experience. Should this person change back to their original gender? And the one that really is subjective. When this person gets to heaven will he/she be male or female?

Please do not use the argument that we will be like the angels because we will all still be gender specific as we are here...so go with that thought and please tell me what you think. I am genuinely interested as this is something I've thought about for many years. With my background as a recovering homosexual it was always a question in my heart during those turbulent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 07:04 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,491 times
I believe that God does not make mistakes, therefore people should accept their gender. And I believe that if someone has a sex change operation they are so far from God's will in their lives that they are listening to every thing except God.

On the other hand, if someone becomes a Christian after the fact I think they should pray and ask for guidance.
I believe if they are sincere God will direct them in this matter.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,488 times
I believe similarly to what spunky alluded to. IMO, God created man and woman and designated us accordingly for His reasons. If I say that I was created the wrong gender and decide that I want to be a woman, then I am saying that God made a mistake which we know is not correct.

What I think might be happening is that some folks are born with a higher amount of estrogen or testosterone which may be emotionally/mentally creating the illusion that they feel they are the wrong gender. Perhaps regulating the hormone level may help. I don't know, it's just a thought.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:15 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
You've heard of people realizing they were born the wrong sex and somewhere during the course of their life they go through a sex change operation? Something I've always wondered and never gotten a grasp on is the following question. If you believe having sex with the same sex is a sin, then when a man has a sex change and becomes a woman, is he still sinning by having sex with men?

Okay, now the next question to the puzzle. What if this woman, (who used to be a man) accepts the Lord in her/his heart and has a true conversion experience. Should this person change back to their original gender? And the one that really is subjective. When this person gets to heaven will he/she be male or female?

Please do not use the argument that we will be like the angels because we will all still be gender specific as we are here...so go with that thought and please tell me what you think. I am genuinely interested as this is something I've thought about for many years. With my background as a recovering homosexual it was always a question in my heart during those turbulent years.
Wow! What a pregnant question. This is of course just my humble little opinion... I would say that I don't believe that someone is born into the wrong body. I know, liberal Jeff is going fundamentalist here! But at the same time I can't bring myself to judge those people. It must be extraordinarily difficult to feel as they do...I simply think it is a mental disorder. No offense meant to any trannies here in the religious forum!

Regarding the question, I would say for that person to seek God diligently. If they have had a true conversion experience and they are truly seeking God's guidance on the issue, then He will answer them, and it's that simple. What will God's answer be? No clue. What's odd is despite my answer that I think it's a mental disorder, I for some reason feel that when the sex change is done...it's done. How difficult is it to change back? Especially, to go from female to male?

Old 07-03-2007, 07:21 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Default Transgender/transexual conundrum

I honestly cannot address what form anyone would take on in heaven...However, I do have a very, very real question as it relates to this issue.

Given the life long agony and angst that many, (if not most!) transgendered individual's experience in truly believing that they were born into the wrong body, I am just wondering (since this is the Religion Forum) what would be worse:

For a transgendered individual to commit suicide, (as all too many have been known to do) or to undergo sexual reassignment?

I ask this because it is an all too frequent and real phenomenon...

Old 07-03-2007, 07:29 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
Well, of course, nowadays there is a church for everyone, whatever the belief system. A soul can say they have found "god", but the really important factor is, does God accept the person who is going against His explicit tenets???

Old 07-03-2007, 07:38 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I believe similarly to what spunky alluded to. IMO, God created man and woman and designated us accordingly for His reasons. If I say that I was created the wrong gender and decide that I want to be a woman, then I am saying that God made a mistake which we know is not correct.

What I think might be happening is that some folks are born with a higher amount of estrogen or testosterone which may be emotionally/mentally creating the illusion that they feel they are the wrong gender. Perhaps regulating the hormone level may help. I don't know, it's just a thought.
I think this is a very good point, urban. I think you may be right here. I also tend to agree with Spunky here.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:38 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
-Mod cut-

It is up to every human being in this world what they do with their lives, and anything they may do to their bodies (provided it doesn't hurt anyone else). Why are you so concerned about the way God might judge their acts? Same sex relationships are not a sin, only in a religious context. If somebody becomes happier or more comfortable with a change in their appearance and how they conduct their private relationships then good luck to them. The sad part is the bigotry they may face by the ignorant and judgemental.

Last edited by Hoosier; 07-03-2007 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: personal

Old 07-03-2007, 07:41 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Only a true Christian could always wonder about something so nonsensical.

It is up to every human being in this world what they do with their lives, and anything they may do to their bodies (provided it doesn't hurt anyone else). Why are you so concerned about the way God might judge their acts? Same sex relationships are not a sin, only in a religious context. If somebody becomes happier or more comfortable with a change in their appearance and how they conduct their private relationships then good luck to them. The sad part is the bigotry they may face by the ignorant and judgemental.
What do you mean that same sex relationships are not a sin, only in a religious context? I don't understand, sin is always within spiritual context? What other context would it be in?

Old 07-03-2007, 07:52 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
-Mod cut-

As I said, this is from a religious standpoint. Everyone is entitled to their opinions without being attacked. Thank you for your input. If you have specific questions for me, then use the pm instead of your attacks on me and my reasoning for this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality