Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:56 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
You need the earth to know that there IS a God. You need the Bible to let you His name-Jesus- and purpose.
Actually, no you don't. The only reason you are here is to become an individual with a personality and find your own way back to God. You can do that without the earth. If a baby dies in the womb, it can still do all those things I mentioned, just doing it in the spirit world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Jesus is the image of the invisible God.
We are all in the image of the visible God. I'm pretty sure your bible teaches you that. We all can become as Jesus was on earth and then still keep raising our spirituality to become like God instead of remaining in His image. Your bible also teaches you that but you have not the eyes to see. I don't read your bible and my truths come from a different source but I do know it's all in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:49 AM

67 posts, read 103,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
And a god isn't necessary to lead a decent, fulfilled life. Which is good, because there are millions of us that don't buy into that fairy tale.
I cant understand how there could be millions that believe in fairy tales but then again i suppose it is better than believing in nothing hmmm but then again that would not be my area of expertise, so i will leave you to it.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:45 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Butler View Post
I cant understand how there could be millions that believe in fairy tales but then again i suppose it is better than believing in nothing hmmm but then again that would not be my area of expertise, so i will leave you to it.
Well to add there are millions of people that trust in other religions. Your not just Christian or Athiest, there's alot of other choices as well.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Well, thank you for insulting my life. I believe in God and I try to follow the teachings of Christ Jesus. I just don't believe in religion. To me religion is more about following man-made rules and less about celebrating God and His creation. If not wanting to waste my time sitting in church three days a week like my sister does means I'm not religious, then I say hallelujah! I have better things to do - like helping my neighbor clean up the court yard or simply spending time with my family. My 'purpose' in life is simply to be the best human being I can be and while I believe my faith in God is essential to that, I do not believe I need a religion to tell me how to do that.
All I can say is if you don't want to be insulted on the internet, then keep your life private as possible and only divulge what you don't mind being judged, otherwise you're going to be upset alot on here.

People don't have the same sense of manners or decency they have in face-to-face encounters since there's no real fear of repercussion here, so they feel free to be honest and cut loose. Not an excuse to be mean but its a fact of internet behaviour.

You can always fudge the truth, leave things out, add little things that don't matter, that still get your point across and if someone insults what you said, you won't get mad, because they aren't really insulting YOU, but what you chose to say which may only be a half-truth, as such not so insulting. If that makes sense.

(Example: If you really live in a Southern State, but say you live in an East Coast state and they insult That State, then you won't really care as its not pertinent to your point nor is it where you really live, so they look like idiots and your not upset)

Last edited by Jackyfrost01; 05-06-2009 at 05:01 AM..

Old 05-06-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Well, thank you for insulting my life. I believe in God and I try to follow the teachings of Christ Jesus. I just don't believe in religion. To me religion is more about following man-made rules and less about celebrating God and His creation. If not wanting to waste my time sitting in church three days a week like my sister does means I'm not religious, then I say hallelujah! I have better things to do - like helping my neighbor clean up the court yard or simply spending time with my family. My 'purpose' in life is simply to be the best human being I can be and while I believe my faith in God is essential to that, I do not believe I need a religion to tell me how to do that.
just to add (because I know how ya feel in a sense):
I was once posting a comment to a British Forum, but the topic was universal, just happened to be being discussed by British people. Well some of them didn't like what I said, but rather than make a valid argument, they simply looked at my profile info and used my being an American against me stating "Your an American on a British forum, you don't know what your talking about. Go away" or to that effect.

So, I just changed my "nationality" on my profile to British and suddenly it was "okay" to be there and I got treated nicer and given civilized responses by people. It was REALLY stupid but I learned thats how people are online for some reason. It never occured to these people I was the same person that was an "ignorant American" a few minutes ago... really stupid, but I did what it took to be treated fairly and civil. It didn't matter where I was from to talk about that topic. It was something very general.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default It Ain't Necessarily So!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Actually, no you don't. The only reason you are here is to become an individual with a personality and find your own way back to God.

A minor correction, Reverend... YOUR only purpose is as you've stated. Mine is to revel in the astounding but chance fact of our occurrence in this massive unmeasurable Universe, to enjoy fully, and without conditions, the wonder of what has evolved around us, and to wonder, openly, what might possibly be in store for our successors.

Especially given our spectacularly arrogant assumptions about being the favored ones of some supernatural mythical being. That part hurts our chances the most, but I and millions of other atheists on this small planet are hoping that some altruism will surface, bypass the larger plans of Christendom or Islam and get to enjoy it while we can.

We are all in the image of the visible God.

I'm certainly not. I'm in the image of an evolved chimp. I operate completely free of religion's constricts and constructs. Successfully. How does a Christian explain that?

We all can become as Jesus was on earth and then still keep raising our spirituality to become like God instead of remaining in His image. Your bible also teaches you that but you have not the eyes to see.

Oh contraire, Reverend. It was my eyes and my mind that set me free from my previous devout Christianity.
So Be It.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
All I can say is if you don't want to be insulted on the internet, then keep your life private as possible and only divulge what you don't mind being judged, otherwise you're going to be upset alot on here.

People don't have the same sense of manners or decency they have in face-to-face encounters since there's no real fear of repercussion here, so they feel free to be honest and cut loose. Not an excuse to be mean but its a fact of internet behaviour.

You can always fudge the truth, leave things out, add little things that don't matter, that still get your point across and if someone insults what you said, you won't get mad, because they aren't really insulting YOU, but what you chose to say which may only be a half-truth, as such not so insulting. If that makes sense.

(Example: If you really live in a Southern State, but say you live in an East Coast state and they insult That State, then you won't really care as its not pertinent to your point nor is it where you really live, so they look like idiots and your not upset)

Having been on the internet and involved in message/debate boards for all of that time, (much of it with much more contentious topics than this!) let me just say that I know and understand everything you said here. That aside, I really wasn't 'angry' so much as trying to get my point across. Some people really do need that 'poke in the eye' type of response before they understand how hurtful their words can be. And I've even run across a few who deliberately attempt to hurt those with whom they disagree.

The main reason I don't 'hide' who and where I am is that I also do a lot of genealogy research on-line and want distant family to be able to find me if they so choose. Recently had a phone call from a distant cousin (granddaughter of my mother's aunt) who was able to get my number having nothing but my name, not even my location! And she got my name from a 5 year old posting on Ancestry!

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that, while I may be new to this site, I'm certainly not new to the internet. I know and understand both the potential dangers and the potential good that can and does come from it.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
So Be It.
I'm pretty sure that response wasn't directed at you personally so don't get all p*ssie with me because you don't believe in God. I'm also not religioius because if I were, I'm sure I'd be kicked out on my butt because I don't agree with a lot of it. It's full of hate and anger and fear.
I've never been baptised, never even go to church, I only celebrate holidays if I feel like it and don't tell people that they have to believe in what I say or they will burn in hell.
The things I do for my church is pray for Divine Love and give that away to as many people as I can by being me. I don't pretend to anyone and I most certainly don't bash others for not agreeing with me. I have the peace that passes all understanding and I earned it.
I didn't even believe in God until I was well into my twenties and I had no idea who jesus was even after that. God deserted me when I was a child, at least that's what I thought then. When I confronted Him about it, I got my answer and it was Love. Pure and simple.
I respect you for who you are. Even if you don't believe it.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 AM

cool, I always try to be vague, but as truthful as possible without revealing too much, both for personal security and to avoid being flamed by total strangers that don't know what they're talking about. I won't even tell em what type of car I got! I don't want people's nasty opinions about my things or me so I keep it quiet as possible. I'll tell em what kinda car I USED to have, so if they insult it, I really don't care. I admit I'm over paranoid, but its harmless. As I'm not looking to meet anyone from here, I don't feel people NEED to know anything about me, and I'm not totally lying, I'm just leaving stuff out for my own peace of mind.

I don't want someone judging me, my family or my life so I keep details out and only talk about stuff I don't care about getting flamed or stuff that might have happened a long time ago so it doesn't matter if they flame it because even though they might think it was recent, the thing I may be talking about may have happened a decade ago for all they know (ie they don't know what they are talking about and are flaming based on uneducated assumptions)

So ya, I've learned how to get along online for the most part by feeding certain people what they wanna see/hear. It stinks, but sadly thats the case sometimes unless you wanna get into some pointless argument with some invisible stranger on the internet, which I don't. Sometimes its just easier to pretend to agree and smile and wave to get past some pointless confrontation.

Quote:
Having been on the internet and involved in message/debate boards for all of that time, (much of it with much more contentious topics than this!) let me just say that I know and understand everything you said here. That aside, I really wasn't 'angry' so much as trying to get my point across. Some people really do need that 'poke in the eye' type of response before they understand how hurtful their words can be. And I've even run across a few who deliberately attempt to hurt those with whom they disagree.

The main reason I don't 'hide' who and where I am is that I also do a lot of genealogy research on-line and want distant family to be able to find me if they so choose. Recently had a phone call from a distant cousin (granddaughter of my mother's aunt) who was able to get my number having nothing but my name, not even my location! And she got my name from a 5 year old posting on Ancestry!

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that, while I may be new to this site, I'm certainly not new to the internet. I know and understand both the potential dangers and the potential good that can and does come from it.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:28 AM

161 posts, read 414,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
....There are some ways to earn money without a job or boss.
....go on.....i'm listening.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality