Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 03:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

In fact, we were pretty lucky we didn't lose one of us, since they had three to work with....they could afforded to lose one or two...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 04:51 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If miracles were to start happening, the nonbelievers would assure us that there was a scientific explanation, even if they weren't sure what it was.
they do it all the time already!
everytime people describe the miracles in their lives here on CD,
they are told "it would have happened anyway" or "that didn't really happen" or "you're mentally ill" or "you're making it up" or "you weren't really sick" or it was just random chance, or something else to ignore the very proof they are asking for

it's called "ignoring any evidence that doesn't support your already set in stone pre-determined belief"

hardly sound scientific practice

Old 05-04-2009, 04:55 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
hardly...?

soft sounding net work practice will make believe ..... kudos!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
The entire body of science proves there is no being that is omnipotent. That is objective evidence.
actually all that statement above proves is that "science" continues to IGNORE the vast body of evidence that divinity does exist.

across time, across geography, across centuries, across culture,
humans have interacted successfully and routinely with divinity.
it is an accepted part of life.

to IGNORE that body of evidence takes someone who really really really puts a lot of time and energy into not seeing what is so clearly there

and the physicists (and other scientists, too) who are open-minded enough and intelligent enough and curious enough to actually explore and try to reconcile the two areas, do just that. The two dovetail together beautifully. Describing god; and describing matter, light, energy, particles, the universe; are the same thing. Different language perhaps but describing the exact same thing.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:19 PM

10 posts, read 16,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
When I mention the "God part of the brain" I don't mean anyone is in control of us. We all function on our own. What I mean is we are predisposed to seek something greater than ourselves. Those who realize that have found comfort and also power. When we loose faith in our ability to accomplish something, that belief in a higher power can give us the extra boost we need to continue on.
You have been taught your whole life that their is a god, same with your parents, many past generations aswell. The reason you believe in something greater is because you have been taught that and nothing else.

That motivation you seek from believing in a God does not answer the "who created the universe" question.

Faith doesnt make something real.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I don't understand why none of the Christians said they believe because of thei feelings in their soul. This reason I wouldn't argue with--but all the bible mumbo-jumbo is just false rationality.
So, I did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky
I have such a difficult time putting the reasons for my belief into words. I guess I'm going to have to get better at that if I'm going to seminary! I wish we were telepaths or empaths so I could directly communicate the overwhelming sense of peace and joy that I experience as a result of my faith. And it's not just all about me. I've been able to help people in ways I never dreamed because various church organizations. And I hope to continue to do so throughout my life.

So I suppose my strongest reason for belief is my personal experience. Not great fodder for discussion or debate. Sorry!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
my success my health & the consistent disappointment of my enemies

Old 05-04-2009, 10:40 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
actually all that statement above proves is that "science" continues to IGNORE the vast body of evidence that divinity does exist.

across time, across geography, across centuries, across culture,
humans have interacted successfully and routinely with divinity.
it is an accepted part of life.

to IGNORE that body of evidence takes someone who really really really puts a lot of time and energy into not seeing what is so clearly there

and the physicists (and other scientists, too) who are open-minded enough and intelligent enough and curious enough to actually explore and try to reconcile the two areas, do just that. The two dovetail together beautifully. Describing god; and describing matter, light, energy, particles, the universe; are the same thing. Different language perhaps but describing the exact same thing.
So maybe you can explain why god does not heal amputees or paraplegics?

Stem cell research and genetic engineering with splicing in the genes of lizards is likely to make this happen before some invisible sky whatever.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
So maybe you can explain why god does not heal amputees or paraplegics?

Stem cell research and genetic engineering with splicing in the genes of lizards is likely to make this happen before some invisible sky whatever.
when a person becomes involved in their own healing and their own life, incredible changes occur. these are beautiful elegant consistent laws that are proven time and time again.

don't take anyone's word for anything. but do be willing to become involved in exploring the question you are posing. here is a good simple exercise. when you run across people who have been told "you'll never walk again" or "you have six months to live" or "you have an incurable condition that you will have to deal with for the rest of your life" and those people are walking, are living, are free of the condition, living rich full lives, ask them "What do you attribute your healing to?" and see what they say.

And don't just include the patients themselves, include doctors, nurses, health care professionals who work with the ill, the severely ill, the diseased, chronic conditions, populations that are routinely told "we've done all we can do" and see what these medical professionals tell you. Listen to their stories.

That is a how a person does first-hand research into the topic of what some call "miracles" (things like the opening post describes) and how they occur. They are not so much "exceptions" to the rule; nor ar they "lies" about what "really" happened by "deluded" individuals who are in need of mental help; they are simply the exact "proof" of some very real, very consistent laws of nature.

Also observe your response within yourself. How open are you to hearing what they say? What part of you internally seeks to belittle, discount, deny, ridicule their experiences? Who knows more about that person's experience, you or them? What do you have invested in maintaining your particular views so that they don't change? What about you would have to give or change or alter or adjust, to accommodate the new information you are receiving?

When a person refuses to become involved in exploring the questions to find satisfactory answers, and simply blocks all involvement or listening even with a neat and tidy "this can't be so. period. end of story." all growth stops. stagnation sets in. like the muck in a pond. A researcher who refuses to do research isn't much of a scientist, nor do their conclusions have much credibility.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-05-2009 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
when a person becomes involved in their own healing and their own life, incredible changes occur. these are beautiful elegant consistent laws that are proven time and time again.

don't take anyone's word for anything. but do be willing to become involved in exploring the question you are posing. here is a good simple exercise. when you run across people who have been told "you'll never walk again" or "you have six months to live" or "you have an incurable condition that you will have to deal with for the rest of your life" and those people are walking, are living, are free of the condition, ask them "What do you attribute your healing to?" and see what they say.

Also observe your response within yourself. How open are you to hearing what they say? What part of you internally seeks to belittle, discount, deny, ridicule their experiences? Who knows more about that person's experience, you or them? What do you have invested in maintaining your particular views so that they don't change? What about you would have to give or change to accommodate the new information you are hearing?

When a person refuses to become involved in exploring the questions to find satisfactory answers, and simply blocks all involvement or listening even with a neat and tidy "this can't be so. period. end of story." all growth stops. stagnation sets in. like the muck in a pond.

kindly replace the word 'incredible' in your first sentence, would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality