Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM

133 posts, read 276,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It's more his personal opinion though. While there are atheists that believe that life is meaningless, there are also many that believe that it is meaningful.
I find it laughable that anyone would think life is meaningless and we are here by accident. I mean, with all due respect, I really do. I find it impossible that we've got here by chance, and so did water, oxygen, and all the other essentials that are *NEEDED* for human life. If there was no oxygen, we would die because we would suffocate. If there was no water, or kidneys would fail and we would become dehydrated. So, whatever happened must of been pretty smart (or in your case..pretty lucky) to land us with essentials for daily life. Many people in the world life and die with the very things that came with life. They do not know of McDonalds, Applebees, etc. They live by the things we were given, or should I say, things they were given by accident, is enough to let them live a decent life.

THe process of human life must be AMAZING. I mean, who would of thunk we needed water to live? Did the Big Bang magically determine to give us water because it knew we would need it? All of these things point to a creator. Someone that knew humans would need water to live. SOmeone that knew oxygen is needed to breathe. Someone that knew humans needed a brain to think. Someone that knew a heart is needed to pump blood. Someone that grew the existance of dinosaurs, birds, and all the animals that do and have ever existed. To say that these are all accidents is just funny. Comedy Central may accept that story, but I personally don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsdfz View Post

I see, yet Japan is atheistic and has a high suicide rate. This is like putting a AA battery into something that requires D batteries. You answer, atheism, and suicide do not match up at all.
I don't think that was my answer. That was someone elses answer, that you are mistakenly attributing to me, no?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I find it laughable that anyone would think life is meaningless and we are here by accident. I mean, with all due respect, I really do. I find it impossible that we've got here by chance, and so did water, oxygen, and all the other essentials that are *NEEDED* for human life. If there was no oxygen, we would die because we would suffocate. If there was no water, or kidneys would fail and we would become dehydrated. So, whatever happened must of been pretty smart (or in your case..pretty lucky) to land us with essentials for daily life. Many people in the world life and die with the very things that came with life. They do not know of McDonalds, Applebees, etc. They live by the things we were given, or should I say, things they were given by accident, is enough to let them live a decent life.
We evolved into creatures that could take advantage of the things you mentioned above, because the creatures that couldn't take advantage of them disproportionately died off and didn't have offspring.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
We evolved into creatures that could take advantage of the things you mentioned above, because the creatures that couldn't take advantage of them disproportionately died off and didn't have offspring.
I see. So, whatever lived before us determined for example,

"Well, we don't have hearts, so lets die and evolve into something with hearts".

20 thousands years later, here we are. Humans evolved and picked and chose what we needed. Magically, we have everything we need to live! Lungs to breathe! Hearts to pump blood! Brains to think! Type A, B, C, and O blood. DNA!!! Wow, all this from accidental causes. Wow!! Amazing!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:

"Well, we don't have hearts, so lets die and evolve into something with hearts".

20 thousands years later, here we are. Humans evolved and picked and chose what we needed. Magically, we have everything we need to live! Lungs to breathe! Hearts to pump blood! Brains to think! Type A, B, C, and O blood. DNA!!! Wow, all this from accidental causes. Wow!! Amazing!!!
All of it evolved over time, yep. There's nothing magic about it thought. The prototypes that didn't have what we needed to live didn't have their genes passed on.

This is not all that complicated, yet you don't seem to be able to understand it.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
All of it evolved over time, yep. There's nothing magic about it thought. The prototypes that didn't have what we needed to live didn't have their genes passed on.

This is not all that complicated, yet you don't seem to be able to understand it.
I forgot to mention, all of the above came from nothing at all! I mean, one day in time, when time never existed, something came from nothing. There is a beginning and an end. Shut your eyes, what do you see? Blackness. Now, do you think over a period of time earth, moon, stars, the sun, and life as we know can develop from your pitch blank state of mind? You can imagine so, but you can't create it so. You say the universe could have always existed, I say God has always existed.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:56 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:

It is isn't it? It is also amazing that every other creature has everything it needs to live, but they, like us chose none of these attributes. I suppose you also think that humans are the only creature with a soul...If you believe in souls why wouldn't all creatures have a soul?

Nothing magic about it. It is called evolution, or natural selection, which you claimed to believe. Have you changed your mind now, and reverted to magic, which by definition is the belief in a creator?

Old 05-04-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
It is isn't it? It is also amazing that every other creature has everything it needs to live, but they, like us chose none of these attributes. I suppose you also think that humans are the only creature with a soul...If you believe in souls why wouldn't all creatures have a soul?

Nothing magic about it. It is called evolution, or natural selection, which you claimed to believe. Have you changed your mind now, and reverted to magic, which by definition is the belief in a creator?
Nope. I certainly believe in evolution. It is proven it's real. However, magic? Isn't something coming from nothing magic, too? If I open my hands do you think I can summon a flame, or summon a flying bird? If I did, that would be magical, just like the universe, that one time never exisiting, just magically did one day at its own discretion and own desires to develop what we see.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention, all of the above came from nothing at all! I mean, one day in time, when time never existed, something came from nothing. There is a beginning and an end. Shut your eyes, what do you see? Blackness. Now, do you think over a period of time earth, moon, stars, the sun, and life as we know can develop from your pitch blank state of mind? You can imagine so, but you can't create it so. You say the universe could have always existed, I say God has always existed.
Creationists are the only ones that say something came from nothing...Science doesn't say that at all. Yes we know that you believe in all sorts of strange magic.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Creationists are the only ones that say something came from nothing...Science doesn't say that at all. Yes we know that you believe in all sorts of strange magic.
But...but..one day nothing existed..and two things went SMACK! SO..where did those two things come from? Matter? Energy? But where did matter and energy come from? They just magically be about do there own thing one day and decide to cause this huge accident called life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality