Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:31 PM

71 posts, read 112,122 times

Advertisements

hahaha what does the mentioning of planets have to do with anything?

I asked for the creation of the universe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 03:39 PM

133 posts, read 276,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
adryan wrote:
The authors of the Bible didn't understand the origins of life, the fact that other solar systems with planets existed and the unimaginable vastness of the universe. They were trying to come up with an explanation for their own existence.
It was in reply to this.

Also, what IF there was life on other planets? It would be the most amazing thing for about 10 minutes, and then I'd wake up the next day and we'd be asking "Where did they come from?" "Who are they" "Who made them?"

Old 05-02-2009, 03:52 PM

It would further my suspicion that the christianity god is fake

Old 05-02-2009, 03:55 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
slashsdfz wrote:
Quote:
II Kings
23:5 And he put down the idolatrous priests, whom the kings of Judah had ordained to burn incense in the high places in the cities of Judah, and in the places round about Jerusalem; them also that burned incense unto Baal, to the sun, and to the moon, and to the planets, and to all the host of heaven.
A couple of things. First, I just went and pulled my Bible out of the fiction section to look up that passage. Here's what my Bible says: those also who burned incense to Ba'al, to the sun, and the moon, and the constellations, and all of the host of the heavens. My copy doesn't use the word planet. Anyway, if you reread what I posted I said that they didn't know that there were other solar systems with planets, I didn't actually state that they didn't know there were planets in ours. In fact I would have thought that they would have known because you hear mythology about Mars and of course astrology is very ancient.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:11 PM

Another point im trying to make is that everyone says since everything that we know of has to have a cause and effect, and their cant be an infinite amount of causes, God has to be the first cause. but if God didnt create the rest of the universe who did? Was the rest of the universe an accident? and if so why can't the earth be aswell?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:24 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,970,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The Bible describes the stars as though they were some sort of ornaments at the top of a dome or something of that nature. The authors of the Bible didn't have the foggiest idea that there even was a universe and you really couldn't expect them to. There's even a passage in the Bible that states that a third of the stars are going to fall from the sky and strike the earth which is of course impossible because the earth is just a tiny speck in space when compared to even the smallest star.
Even though we know that on a clear night you can see about 3,000 stars, the Bible states that the stars in the heavens cannot be numbered. Jeremiah 33:22. The Bible also states that each star is unique. This was only understood in our time. And this can be seen when analysis of their light spectra is considered. Of course, this requires special equiment not in use 2,000 years ago. The Bible also states that the earth itself is suspended in space, and hangs on nothing. And that statement was made when numerous other religions were telling their people the earth was resting on two elephants, or turtles. Also, the Bible describes an asteroid that will someday strike the sea, and it will destroy a third of the ships in that sea, and a third of the marine life in that sea as well. And again, this description of an asteroid was made about 1600 years before scientist here on earth knew asteroids existed.

If you read about the third of the stars falling from heaven, you will discover there are other support verses that give us clear understanding of that verse. It is clearly speaking about an atmospheric filtration effect. That's why other support verses states the moon will turn blood red, and the sun will be dimmened, and the stars will refuse to shine. However, some like to take the verse which is the most obscure and try to obscure the clearer meaning in order to try and make the Bible look out of touch. It is a rather dishonest way of trying to slam the Bible.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Campbell34 i have been reading through alot of your posts and come to the conclusion you know alot about your religion. So god does not talk about a creation of another planet beside earth?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:36 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
Campbell34,
If the Bible painted such an accurate view of the universe when it was written why were people persecuted or even executed for suggesting that the earth revolved around the sun? Scientists made progress despite the fact that they were persecuted and it was rational thought and the scientific method that discovered the nature of the universe, it didn't come from the Bible. What you're doing is greatly exaggerating the meaning of particular passages in the Bible to suggest that they were supporting what we know to be true today. There shouldn't have been any conflict whatsoever between religion and science if the Bible had been clearly describing what scientists would later confirm. That obviously is not what happened. Religious institutions have vigoriously fought scientific progress from the beginning because it contradicted what religion was teaching at the time.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:37 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adryan View Post
Another point im trying to make is that everyone says since everything that we know of has to have a cause and effect, and their cant be an infinite amount of causes, God has to be the first cause. but if God didnt create the rest of the universe who did? Was the rest of the universe an accident? and if so why can't the earth be aswell?
Just because an event is not directly manipulated by the originating event does not mean it is accidental. Watch a few pool sharks and you will see many shots that directly impact a single ball yet indirectly drop additional balls into the pockets. They are called combination shots and the shooter is usually able to tell you in advance which balls will drop and which balls will impact them causing them to drop. Why is it difficult to believe that a God can trigger a single action knowing it will result in a number of chain reactions resulting in a wide variety of effects?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
Just because an event is not directly manipulated by the originating event does not mean it is accidental. Watch a few pool sharks and you will see many shots that directly impact a single ball yet indirectly drop additional balls into the pockets. They are called combination shots and the shooter is usually able to tell you in advance which balls will drop and which balls will impact them causing them to drop. Why is it difficult to believe that a God can trigger a single action knowing it will result in a number of chain reactions resulting in a wide variety of effects?
Did not understand what you were trying to mean by that analogy.

What Single action are you talking about? Which god are you talking about? I dont understand your whole post sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality