Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
So you're in the electronics industry. That constitutes science?
Why did my brains just melt?

This is the most unfortunate statement ever.

Physics ---> Electricity/Electrodynamics ----> Electrons -----> Electronics

Please post a reply and tell us all Physics is not science, with a smack on my head lol.

Dopo can't be a literature major That is not science for sure. Some folks even call it the science of language

If you cannot digest intelligent people not willing to jump into the anti-religious bandwagon, it's nothing but sheer intolerance. I see this intolerance in every day life.

You can try to get over it or a better way would be to assist rifleman in his arguments.

You can't do either of those, all you wanna do is insult Dopo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,198 times
Lightbulb aca.de.my ... break down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

geez, just think it to be that colossal??? just make sure it does not evaporate, after all.

Please post a reply and tell us all Physics is not science, with a smack on my head lol.

Dopo can't be a literature major That is not science for sure. Some folks even call it the science of language

If you cannot digest intelligent people not willing to jump into the anti-religious bandwagon, it's nothing but sheer intolerance. I see this intolerance in every day life.

You can try to get over it or a better way would be to assist rifleman in his arguments.

You can't do either of those, all you wanna do is insult Dopo?
be kind, c_a, while you can leave your hat on!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
Kindness forever, Eff! For kind men, the punishment is self-inflicting. Which is why my own brains chose to melt. I'm posting from inside the fridge right now recrystrallizing the melted fragments, it's cold in here

You see, I have been in rifleman's threads and I've jested (guilty!) a bit inside his threads. But never insulted him or will insult him, for I think he's a very intelligent man of science.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:27 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,710 times
Quote:

Please post a reply and tell us all Physics is not science, with a smack on my head
I have three electrical engineering degrees. I am an engineer, not a scientist. It is that simple.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Kindness forever, Eff! For kind men, the punishment is self-inflicting. Which is why my own brains chose to melt. I'm posting from inside the fridge right now recrystrallizing the melted fragments, it's cold in here

You see, I have been in rifleman's threads and I've jested (guilty!) a bit inside his threads. But never insulted him or will insult him, for I think he's a very intelligent man of science.
i see?

at best the invisible hand of a great creator modeling effie's uneducated mind to a thermo-dynamic state of enlightenment... the crystals may remain elsewhere, so be it!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I have three electrical engineering degrees. I am an engineer, not a scientist. It is that simple.
Nice word play.

But you asked if electronics constitutes science

And now I learn you have three EEE degrees.

Baffles me.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,710 times
Quote:
Nice word play.

But you asked if electronics constitutes science

And now I learn you have three EEE degrees.

Baffles me.
Science is stuff like paleontology, anthropology, geology, nuclear physics, medicine, etc.

While certain scientific theories related to the degree is learned, it is within the confines of a subject like industrial electronics. No one debates the atom or periodic table. One may study light and the harmonics of light waves or radio frequencies etc. So engineering is pretty much "applied science" Math serves the greater part of the studies.

I picked up on another thread he is in the cellular industry or IOW telecommunications.

See, engineers make the "toys" scientists work with. While a degree is a Bachelor of Science (BSc) that does not make you a scientist.

But I guess if a scientist came up with an idea for a new fangled electron microscope or other dandy instrument, he/she would approach an engineer rather than a theist for his/her help.

Maybe in the USA engineers may think of themselves as scientists but then again I have seen folk there refer to a high school diploma as a "degree" It does seem one can get a doctorate easily when one looks at folk like Hovind.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Science is stuff like paleontology, anthropology, geology, nuclear physics, medicine, etc.

While certain scientific theories related to the degree is learned, it is within the confines of a subject like industrial electronics. No one debates the atom or periodic table. One may study light and the harmonics of light waves or radio frequencies etc. So engineering is pretty much "applied science" Math serves the greater part of the studies.

I picked up on another thread he is in the cellular industry or IOW telecommunications.

See, engineers make the "toys" scientists work with. While a degree is a Bachelor of Science (BSc) that does not make you a scientist.

But I guess if a scientist came up with an idea for a new fangled electron microscope or other dandy instrument, he/she would approach an engineer rather than a theist for his/her help.

Maybe in the USA engineers may think of themselves as scientists but then again I have seen folk there refer to a high school diploma as a "degree" It does seem one can get a doctorate easily when one looks at folk like Hovind.

maybe not only in the usa. well said. good insight!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:05 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Dr. Rifleman?

I've been tempted...

Earn Your PhD Entirely Online | Distance Learning Doctoral Programs

As I've said more than once, "science" came about because different but equally curious minds were simply trying to answer questions about the world around them. And get at the actual, reliable truth.

We can accept that, yes? But their methodologies differed vastly. and many were, frankly, quite "bad" One guy took many sample counts in order to determine the average population of ants in his tent, while another only counted once and thought that was enough.

Another girl claimed to have found the cure for Clinton's Syndrome (where you think that, if you smile at the girls, they will automatically believe anything you say...). She tried it once, it worked, and she "knew" she had a cure. Her apprenticeship as an intern was thusly terminated early.... bad science, I'd say....

But when it was aplied to the masses, it didn't always work.

So we derived the necessary Science of Statistics.

Over time, we've derived a methodical and very rigorous process for Q&A, and to deviate is to invite internal distain or, at the least, sincere concern about the validity of your particular pet project from your fellow professional scientists.

To discredit that process? That's like distaining the idea of boiling water as a means of disinfecting it, or announcing that the development of your new HDTV was flawed, even though it works perfectly.

My idea here was/is to point out how that process has produced some highly reliable techniques by which we measure the world around us, by which we answer nagging questions about our purpose, our future, our current living conditions.

When the process does provide insight, it's often met with great harrassment, instinctive distain and even hatred. Why, one wonders....

Because it threatens the philosophical staus quo is why. It has, and will continue to, shatter old mythologies that rely on a single, ancient text written by those who, sadly, didn't have the advantage of such a productive and reliable system for finding the truth.

In essence, the methods I've outlined here, apparently no-one disputes (there's been not a single technical question). Just comments from those who question my sincerity, my knowledge ("he's just a Wiki Professor!", etc.) and my intentions. Yes, I use the internet to source info. If you're gonna pay my professorial fees, I'll write up the lesson plan off the top of my head.

Anyhow, I hope some of you may have benefitted from the information. I assure you, it's all true, and again, I took great pains to outline the known and accepted limitations of both methods. Science never hides these; only AiG and their smelly anti-science ilk choose to selectively quote-mine the results, and to criticize all science.

I won't take up more of your time with the twenty or so other newer, and even more interesting dating methods. Just know that they are equally defensible, have limits, and are honestly applied by techicians of great integrity. The results? Factual evidence for a multi-milliion-year old Earth, and a billions of years old Universe. Stay tuned for even more startling revelations in the future!

Unfortunately, the results may not bode well for a strict Creationist perspective, but hey; we can perhaps fit it in somehow, eh?

Someone once said, "Can't we all just get along?" I doubt it......

Last edited by rifleman; 05-07-2009 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: clarifications

Old 05-07-2009, 12:14 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Cool You can leave... etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
The resulting mental image appeals to my more "base" male hard-wired (hereditary, as in "evolved") responses. I love Joe Cocker!

Here's to you and your hat, C-A, and ditto, effie! I'm off to the shower!

YouTube - Joe Cocker - You Can Leave Your Hat On

(mooaaannnnnn... even Evil scientists have feelings.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality