Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 07:19 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,010,622 times

Advertisements

People who oppose homosexuality know nothing about it. The only reason they oppose it is because their church, the bible or some other authority figure spouting incoherently tells them to oppose it.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:20 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,172,716 times
--------homosexuality was still an underground culture----

They sure weren't--"underground"--in 1966 in San Francisco ( long) before the AIDS epedemic ran thru the gay community

They were all over the streets of San Francisco.

Try again !

Old 08-08-2009, 07:22 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,172,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
People who oppose homosexuality know nothing about it. The only reason they oppose it is because their church, the bible or some other authority figure spouting incoherently tells them to oppose it.
It doesn't take religion to recognize perversion !

Old 08-08-2009, 07:44 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,408,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
WRONG ( again)Axis.

The Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that Minnesota's marriage law does NOT violate anyone's civil rights.

They then appealed it to the United States Supreme Court on hopes it would get overturned.
it didn't happen !

The 2 idiots then tried filing Federal Income tax as a married couple.

it wasn't accepted

Quite the pair,those 2 !
Read the court case before you get athlet's foot in your mouth.

Here, I'll make it easy for you so you don't have to sift through all that legaleeze, which I can tell you have troubles with...

On May 18, 1970, two University of Minnesota gay student activists, Richard John Baker and James Michael McConnell, applied to Gerald R. Nelson, the clerk of Minnesota's Hennepin County District Court in Minneapolis, for a marriage license. Nelson denied the request on the sole ground that the two were of the same sex. Baker and McConnell then sued Nelson, contending that Minnesota law permitted same-sex marriages, and arguing against Nelson's interpretation that it did not violate their rights under the Ninth and Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution. The trial court ruled Nelson was not required to issue Baker and McConnell a marriage license, and specifically directed that they not be issued a license. On appeal, the Minnesota Supreme Court affirmed the trial court's ruling, and specifically ruled that Minnesota's limiting of marriage to opposite-sex unions "does not offend the First, Eighth, Ninth, or Fourteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution".
Later that year, the couple applied for and were awarded a marriage license by the Blue Earth County Commissioner in Mankato, Minnesota. Because of the Minnesota Supreme Court decision, the license was deemed invalid. The couple still claims it is valid to this day, and attempted to file a joint tax return in 2004. After the IRS rejected the joint return, McConnell filed an action in Federal District Court, seeking a federal income tax refund in the amount of $793.28 and a declaration that he is "a full citizen who is lawfully married and, by that fact, entitled to be treated the same as every other married Minnesotan, similarly situated". McConnell's action was rejected by the Court.[1]
Baker v. Nelson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See? Also shows you WHY they filed for a joint return as well.

Need me to bold the important parts? Or do you think you can handle it from here?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:45 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,749,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yet another gay thread is overrun with bigots and is sure to be closed.
Nah, this one's been around for several months - gets busy for a while, then dies off for a while until someone new 'discovers' it and brings it back to life again. Give it a day or so and it will die off again for a while.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
--------homosexuality was still an underground culture----

They sure weren't--"underground"--in 1966 in San Francisco ( long) before the AIDS epedemic ran thru the gay community

They were all over the streets of San Francisco.

Try again !
Were they, or were they not, part of mainstream culture. Just being gay and strolling about on the street does not constitute mainstream.

Parades? Newp.

Several States that have set aside draconian mentalities in favor of Equality? Newp.

Oppressed, persecuted, and discriminated against in employment, housing, schooling, etc? Yup.

By keeping yourself purposly ignorant on the matter, you put yourself and loved ones at risk for HIV infection. Do yourself a favor and Educate Yourself.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
It doesn't take religion to recognize perversion !
No, but religion, along with lack of education and ignorance, do help to THINK homosexuality is a perversion.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Nah, this one's been around for several months - gets busy for a while, then dies off for a while until someone new 'discovers' it and brings it back to life again. Give it a day or so and it will die off again for a while.
Guilty.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,749,529 times
Quote:
Preach to someone else about the constitution,

In my state, the last time the law was challenged before the Minnesota Supreme Court---------the court ruled that Minnesota's marriage law defining marriage as between one man and one woman does NOT violate anyone's civil rights.

Try a different arguement !
Just because it doesn't violate Minnesota's state constitution (or at least the judges didn't think it does) does NOT mean that it would survive a SCOTUS review and the US Constitution.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:12 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,412,451 times
I have a dear friend who is a fundamentalist Christian, as is her sister. My friend tends to keep her beliefs private however her sister refuses to speak to or associate with anyone outside her rabidly fundamentalist church. My friend is a guidance councellor(sp) at a public school and one day her sister told her that if she were a "true" Christian that she would not enroll ANY gay students nor should she even speak to them. This disgusting hateful behavior/attitude is a BIG reason that I am turning away from organized religion and sadly even Christianity. Why do these fundamentalist groups insist on infringing on other's rights? Since when did Jesus preach hate and exclusion of certain groups of people? If this were not bad enough, how many times have we seen hateful hypocrites like Ted Haggard running around? I feel like my religion has been perverted and even stolen from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality