Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 08:56 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
That's a good point. I think anytime a person can blame his/her bigotries on a larger force - whether it be God, a political ideology, a sense of racial superiority, or anything else beyond the individual - it becomes much easier to express hatred in violent ways. There was just a thread on the Christian forum calling Christians to warfare against the 'enemy' and advocating the use of guns.

Just so happens that in the still very young U.S., with our peculiar adherence to religion that every other developed nation long ago abandoned, that is the most visible and powerful expression of that hate ... er... "love" to help people see the "truth".... I mean "Truth".
You presume one belief preceded the other.

What about those who only accept those ideas after exposure to them rather than them having them first?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I think anti-gay christians would be anti-gay whether they were christian or not. They seem to see everything that is different than them as wrong, and they interpret scripture to support their beliefs.
People who do not interpret scripture their way are wrong, people of different religions are wrong, and people who have a sexual orientation that is not like their own are wrong.
IMO, these kind of people gravitate to the kind of church that already supports their narrow minded view of the world.
So one can interpret the Bible however they like?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Criticize it all you like; just remember that there is more than one type of Buddhism and that you're painting all Buddhists with the same brush. Also keep in mind that there are cultural problems that cause a lot of issues that are unrelated to the philosophy one holds.

Remember it especially when the maniacs from the Westboro Baptist Church start doing crazy things again, non-xtians start pointing fingers at all xtians, and you start blabbing that it has nothing to do with you because you're not "that kind" of xtian.
How comical. After paintaing Christians with one brush you take umbrage for someone doing that to you. At least that had the common decency to spell your belief system as it should be.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
It is easier to have other people do all your thinking for you rather than actually thinking for onesself so that someone forms their own thoughts and opinions. Since they think that their religion condemns homosexuality, then they also will condemn homosexuality.
So Christians never give these issues critical thought?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Homosexuality is not and has nothing to do with immorality except in minds like yours.
And despite homosexuality defying basic human physiology, the supposed moral normalcy of homosexuality exists only in corrupt minds like yours.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:08 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Well, it wasn't me that was insulting in my other thread. I was just trying to keep it on-topic, and it got closed anyway.
I realize that this can be a very touchy and volatile subject and some things can get insulting and inflammatory, however I also know that this subject about gays and homosexuality can be discussed in a civilized manner and as long as it is done within that context I will have no problem with keeping this thread open. I am a little more open-minded about the subject, however I will not tolerate insults, disrespect, name-calling, or any other kind of inflammatory remarks. So let's keep it civilized.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
To me, the God I believe in does not condemn a person whether straight or gay. I believe we are supposed to love each other and not be condemning people right and left. But then again I have been told many times by fellow Christians that I can't be a true Christian...so there you go.

Its hard for me to fathom that a loving God would punish us for love. That makes no sense to me.
Many pedophiles commit acts because they "love" children. Would a loving God punish them for their love? A group of polygamists? A man who loves his dog? A man who rapes a woman because he loves her though she refuses him?

Love can be seriously misplaced.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I agree and this is why science possesses an integrity that religion does not.

Not knowing is not seen as a barrier but as a challenge to expand knowledge and intellectual horizons.

Religion is just mired in "certainties" and "absolutes" and its own and unique "truth" that it discourages all forms of questioning and changes of behaviour/thinking. It is a stagnant pool which never changes. I call that unhealthy and dangerous.
Is this why so many atheists tout science even though they firmly believe there is no God yet they have nor evidence to the contrary?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Many pedophiles commit acts because they "love" children. Would a loving God punish them for their love? A group of polygamists? A man who loves his dog? A man who rapes a woman because he loves her though she refuses him?

It amazes me that you compare these things to being homosexual. If two consenting loving adults are in love and committed to one another how is that even close to the things you mention above? I know I am not going to change your way of thinking as you are not going to change mine. We can just agree to disagree.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post

Really now...You call the stuff you mentioned love?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality