Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:50 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
If the Big Band is true, then how did it evolve out of nothing? Most start with gas evolving into something. But where did the gas come from?
Apparently Lawrence Welk's behind. He was, after all, the greatest Big Band leader ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Actually the big-bang theory: (cosmology) the theory that the universe originated sometime between 10 billion and 20 billion years ago from the cataclysmic explosion of a small volume of matter at extremely high density and temperature.

It is reported that before their was nothing here, but the bbt theory says that earth came from matter. So, how do you go from nothing, to matter?

Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
We don't even claim to know that the universe ever did come from nothing. The big bang theory doesn't say the universe came from nothing. It says the universe is expanding from one spot, where it seems all matter/energy was massively compressed. It doesn't say all matter didn't exist until the big bang.
Ah. So you're saying that before the big bang occurred, something else was there. Correct?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:07 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,483,876 times
If you don't know, just say godidit.

Does anyone have an answer to the OP besides "magic"?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
We don't even claim to know that the universe ever did come from nothing. The big bang theory doesn't say the universe came from nothing. It says the universe is expanding from one spot, where it seems all matter/energy was massively compressed. It doesn't say all matter didn't exist until the big bang.
Ok, then where did the universe come from?

Where did the matter come from and why did it explode? So this matter was just here one day and then bang, we have a universe?

How did we as humans come from matter that was here?

What did the matter evolve from?

And if we evolved from matter, then reverse it and then tell me how our bodies can go back to matter.

This should be interesting!!!

Old 05-05-2009, 08:32 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Ah. So you're saying that before the big bang occurred, something else was there. Correct?
No, I'm saying that the big bang only explains why our universe seems to be expanding. It says the universe was in a different state, all clumped together into a "singularity". It doesn't say anything about what "happened" "before" the big bang. We don't even know if time existed before the big bang, in which case saying "before the big bang" wouldn't even make sense.

Scientists only explain what can be inferred from observation. The question of "What was before the big bang," or the better question of "Is that even the right question," is left to speculation, since it cannot be answered through our current observation abilities.

But those who do claim to know that "God was before the big bang" and "the universe did come from nothing" should be able to explain how they know, and well "How did God make something out of nothing?"

Old 05-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Apparently Lawrence Welk's behind. He was, after all, the greatest Big Band leader ever.
That's funny, I read back over what I read and relized that I made a mistake and but gas, when I should have put matter.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Actually the big-bang theory: (cosmology) the theory that the universe originated sometime between 10 billion and 20 billion years ago from the cataclysmic explosion of a small volume of matter at extremely high density and temperature.

It is reported that before their was nothing here, but the bbt theory says that earth came from matter. So, how do you go from nothing, to matter?
No there was never nothing.

The Big Bang theory depends on two major assumptions: the universality of physical laws, and the Cosmological Principle. The cosmological principle states that on large scales the universe is homogeneous and isotropic.

The earliest phases of the Big Bang are subject to much speculation. In the most common models, the universe was filled homogeneously and isotropically with an incredibly high energy density, huge temperatures and pressures, and was very rapidly expanding and cooling. Approximately 10−37 seconds into the expansion, a phase transition caused a cosmic inflation, during which the universe grew exponentially. At some point an unknown reaction called baryogenesis violated the conservation of baryon number, leading to a very small excess of quarks and leptons over antiquarks and anti-leptons—of the order of 1 part in 30 million. This resulted in the predominance of matter over antimatter in the present universe.

Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-05-2009, 08:42 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Ok, then where did the universe come from?

Where did the matter come from and why did it explode? So this matter was just here one day and then bang, we have a universe?

How did we as humans come from matter that was here?

What did the matter evolve from?

And if we evolved from matter, then reverse it and then tell me how our bodies can go back to matter.

This should be interesting!!!
I've never claimed to know the answers to those questions. I have no problem with the idea that I'll probably never know. You do claim to have the answers, but you really don't know either. You just choose to believe, and the reason you have to have faith to believe it is because there is no real evidence.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
Well hell, my friend, it seems like scientists are pretty good at expounding upon the origins of the universe, too. But maybe you could answer my question for me anyway (the second one)...?? Or offer your own theory, and let's have a look at it.
I don't know, although I've always found that professing ignorance on questions which have not been empirically answered yet tend to give more satisfying answers than 'goddidit.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality