Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times

Advertisements

Well, obviously the military disagrees with you and that's all that really matters.

On a more philosophical level, missionaries have destroyed so many civilizations whose spirituality was significantly advanced beyond their own that they could not even recognize it and dismissed them as savages. Enough. Time for us all to stop preaching and start listening. Much wisdom has been destroyed by this arrogance.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:02 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
kdbirch - you apparently missed the following posts. Army thinks it is illegal to push any religion. You know we are not funding a modern-day crusade here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Here's an update:

Military destroys soldier's Bibles (OneNewsNow.com) (http://www.onenewsnow.com/Security/Default.aspx?id=516980 - broken link)

The U.S. military is confirming that it has destroyed some Bibles belonging to an American soldier serving in Afghanistan.

The U.S. military forbids its members on active duty -- including those based in places like Afghanistan -- from trying to convert people to another religion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Here's the follow-up and what the military Joint Chiefs of Staff's have to say about it.

U.S. military says Afghan bibles have been destroyed | International | Reuters

Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
kdbirch - you apparently missed the following posts. Army thinks it is illegal to push any religion. You know we are not funding a modern-day crusade here.
I saw that, and I think that the military is scared and acting out of political correctness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, obviously the military disagrees with you and that's all that really matters.
No...I think the ones that make the decisions are scared of radical muslims. And the liberal media.
Quote:

On a more philosophical level, missionaries have destroyed so many civilizations whose spirituality was significantly advanced beyond their own that they could not even recognize it and dismissed them as savages. Enough. Time for us all to stop preaching and start listening. Much wisdom has been destroyed by this arrogance.
And those same missionaries have delivered the saving message of Christ to people that needed it. And built hospitals, orphanages, etc.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:10 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I saw that, and I think that the military is scared and acting out of political correctness.
Really? Do you know they are against preaching of ALL religious or non-religious thought?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Really? Do you know they are against preaching of ALL religious or non-religious thought?

I doubt that the military much cares what soldiers do in their off time unless someone makes a stink about it, as is the case here.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:10 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:

No...I think the ones that make the decisions are scared of radical muslims. And the liberal media.
And those same missionaries have delivered the saving message of Christ to people that needed it. And built hospitals, orphanages, etc.
"Political correctness" or not, what part of "proselytizing is a direct violation of US Army regulations" don't you understand?

Or does "delivering the saving message of Christ" trump all that?

Old 05-07-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
"Political correctness" or not, what part of "proselytizing is a direct violation of US Army regulations" don't you understand?

Or does "delivering the saving message of Christ" trump all that?

Handing out bibles != prosletyzing.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Quote:
The Afghanis need Christ as much as anyone else. And these men have a right to be who they are.
The Afghani's already have a religion. It's called Islam......

They don't need Christianity. They already have a religion.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
The Afghani's already have a religion. It's called Islam......

They don't need Christianity. They already have a religion.

I believe it's a false religion.

In any event, handing out Bible != prosletyzing.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:03 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Quote:
I believe it's a false religion.

In any event, handing out Bible != prosletyzing.
You believe it's a false religion? Well over a billion people follow that path, so there must be something to it huh?

To the Afghanis, Islam is real, and Christianity is false. Maybe they are correct? Maybe both Islam and Christianity are correct to those who believe? Maybe our universe works on relativism in these ways?

Or, maybe both of your religions are off target and plain wrong?

I will never understand how a person can just believe their religion is the only true one. It is a mindset that breeds ignorance and intolerance. It is not a wise way of thinking and I have never been able to see any beauty or good in this way of thinking.

The most beautiful thing to do is to accept everyone, respect their beliefs and let them follow their own paths without your judgemental and closed-minded energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality