Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times

Advertisements

and do so with the reps as well.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 05-09-2009 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: p2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 10:06 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
rifleman wrote:
Quote:
My son & I just speculated: a single lesbian black woman (Just to make it all the more complex, she'd be spectacularly beautiful, like Halley Barry, for instance, with doctorates in PolySci & nuclear physics), pro-choice, pro-gun, pro small biz, anti-big-government, and a stated proud atheist.

What'd be the chances?
The chances would be about the same as Halle Barry asking me if I'd like to go out on a date.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:11 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
no comment, as a comet must have been flying over my (uncovered) head.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:17 PM

79 posts, read 205,001 times
Yes, I would have no problem voting for an athiest president. I think that there is too much religion in politics anyhow, so would be fine with this. Of course, I would also be okay with a Jewish, Muslim, or Hindu president...or any other faith. As long as he or she doesn't try to mix his/her faith with politics.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:27 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default What's that you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Obama is as secular as you can get and might as well call himself an atheist.
Wait now... what then was all that "kah-fuffle" about Barak's favorite life-long minister friend The Most Rev. Jeremiah Wright, as well as his choice of Rick Warren of the macro-church in Orange County for his Oath ceremony?

Barama said that The Rev. Wright had "a profound influence on his (Barak's) sense of community and of the power of prayer." Perhaps he meant the value of catering to those who believe in the power of prayer? He's already got some of the once-proud Republican right, now to go for the "moral majority". Mayhaps he can then figure a way to coerce the gun owners as well, with kind and loving foreplay?

He wasn't just trying to make friends and influence Christians was he?

If I were elected, I'd have had someone like Wiilliam F. Buckley do the Inaugural oratory for me. (I know, he's dead, but even in that condition he's more interesting to listen to than a droning Christian invoking God to constantly watch over us all, making judgements and taking notes, and defending us from the Godless Muslims*...)

*It's no wonder they want to kill us all off. We've institutionalized Federal religious discrimination. Hey.... thanks, DubYah!.

Last edited by rifleman; 05-10-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 05:59 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,211 times
Arkansas and NC states apparently have laws in that prohibit atheists from even holding an office there.

Excerpt from:Talk To Action | Did you know NC's constitution bars atheists from holding office?
To be sure, this provision has never been enforced since the adoption of our current constitution, since it would almost certainly be thrown out as a violation of the 1st and 14th Amendments (and possibly Article 6 as well). Still, to my mind the fact it's still there makes the state look backwoods.

We have some ways to go before we see an atheist president

Last edited by calmdude; 05-10-2009 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality