Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
if you don't believe in god then you must belive in Satan. (as i am only 17 and not going to throw scripture at you just because i cant memorize please do not speak against my religion with all do respect.) but i still don't understand why you cant belive in God although you cannot see him. would you worship a golden calf?
Not this BS again. You must be a christian to believe in Satan, as Satan is a wholly christian construct.

We're ATHEISTS. We don't believe in ANY supernatural beings, including demons, devils, gods, angels, ghosts, et cetera. This is not a difficult concept to grasp, even for someone who is "only 17".

By the way, I'd logically decided by the age of about 11 that believing was just malarkey, so surely by 17 you can reason a few things through for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
For those who don't know by now, I started doubting all of this nonesense a few months ago and now, i'm happy (sort of) to be an Atheist.

I am feeling a bit strange though and i'd like to hear your views on this and to see if anyone feels the same way i do!

See, i now do not believe in a heaven and hell and so all i do in life is for this life and this life alone....I try to enjoy my life to the fullest; i try to be good to others and love my family. i try to learn as much as possible and see as much of the world as i can in the time that i have on this earth.

however, i do feel a bit sad! Sad because i'm disappointed to finally understand that THIS IS IT! before i became an atheist, i believed in a afterlife (or at least entertained the idea) but now, it's clear as day to me that all that is pure BS. that makes me sad and a bit disappointed. To suddenly realize that there is NO grand 'purpose' in life, other than reproducing, raising offsprings, and if lucky, enjoying life, is somewhat sad. Don't get me wrong...i love my life and i'm amazed everyday by life itself and the nature that surrounds me...but i do kinda wish there was something else! (but there clearly isn't!)

anyone else feel what i feel?
Yes.

But the truth isn't always pretty or uplifting. There are countless horrible and depressing facts that I can name off the top of my head, yet I will not deny them just because they are unpleasant.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:19 PM

307 posts, read 479,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley89 View Post
Did you get his autograph too?

and if god gave us free will to choose, then christians should stop preaching to us normal people about being "saved" and quoting these BS bible quotes. Did this Luke person ever have a last name? Please, nobody wants to hear about how your "on fire for jesus" or how god magically knighted you to "spread the word" while you were on the comode last wednesday afternoon.
If you had read the first paragraph of my post you would realise that I have no intention of preaching to anyone.
Typical assumptions on my being 'on fire' and spreading the word because I point out that Jesus Christ was no doubt a learned man and no doubt quite literate; there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

In my line of work I do place people on a commode, but find an ordinary loo quite satisfactory.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:27 PM

159 posts, read 531,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
If you had read the first paragraph of my post you would realise that I have no intention of preaching to anyone.
Typical assumptions on my being 'on fire' and spreading the word because I point out that Jesus Christ was no doubt a learned man and no doubt quite literate; there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

In my line of work I do place people on a commode, but find an ordinary loo quite satisfactory.
I was'nt directing it to anybody. If you do you do, if don't, you don't. If it doesnt apply to you then disregard it.

jeez

Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Christians have a 50/50 chance between heaven and hell. Those who deny God have a 100% chance of only one of those (and it's not heavenly).

That makes you feel liberated? I'd rather take my chances. If i'm wrong, I enjoy my afterlife 6 feet under just like the rest of the departed. If i'm right, my reward is in Heaven. Even if you find it difficult to humble yourself to God, why would you take that chance?

Too many non-believers look at God as a myth. I tend to think you're gambling with eternity. I will do plenty good and plenty bad while i'm here on earth, but I certainly don't want an afterlife to be an eternity of pure misery. It's worth the gamble to believe in God if you ask me.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Christians have a 50/50 chance between heaven and hell. Those who deny God have a 100% chance of only one of those (and it's not heavenly).

That makes you feel liberated? I'd rather take my chances. If i'm wrong, I enjoy my afterlife 6 feet under just like the rest of the departed. If i'm right, my reward is in Heaven. Even if you find it difficult to humble yourself to God, why would you take that chance?

Too many non-believers look at God as a myth. I tend to think you're gambling with eternity. I will do plenty good and plenty bad while i'm here on earth, but I certainly don't want an afterlife to be an eternity of pure misery. It's worth the gamble to believe in God if you ask me.
Oh my what are we to do? If we worship Jesus then Allah will make us suffer for eternity. If we die outside of battle then we will end up in a terrible place. If a certain sect of Buddhists are right then we will all suffer hell at one point or another ect ect...

Aeroguy, we know you mean well but Pascal's wager has been discussed to death before and I just don't think that your god would appreciate us pretending to believe in him out of fear of hell.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:59 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
I point out that Jesus Christ was no doubt a learned man and no doubt quite literate;

Please show me one thing he is said to have written, one letter, one chapter, one psalm, one poem? Show me one bit of evidence that he could write?

Carpenters in that era didn't typically know how to read. He didn't start his Jesus tour until he was in his 30's.

You WANT him to be literate, so you say it is so. But the truth is you worship an illiterate construction worker.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

I'll make this easy for you. Many people believe that I am God. If you don't believe in me, and reject the God you are currently following, you will go to hell. If you worship me, I'll give you a happy eternal life.

Now, do your same calculation with me, please. I think you'll find that you might as well be safe and go ahead and worship me.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:58 AM

53 posts, read 70,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
I'll make this easy for you. Many people believe that I am God. If you don't believe in me, and reject the God you are currently following, you will go to hell. If you worship me, I'll give you a happy eternal life.

Now, do your same calculation with me, please. I think you'll find that you might as well be safe and go ahead and worship me.
OK, I'm in, but do you have beer volcanoes too in heaven? cos I have kind of set my heart on them now

Old 05-12-2009, 04:12 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abs42 View Post
OK, I'm in, but do you have beer volcanoes too in heaven? cos I have kind of set my heart on them now
Wouldn't a beer fountain be a lot nicer ?! Or do you dream of molten beer pouring down " a la Pompei" ? As a non beer drinker I am obviously missing the attraction .

I'm hoping for endless fresh seafood and Wagyu Beef myself. Heaven without decent food is not even worth contemplating as a place to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality