Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The mormons mostly take care of only their own, and even at that the church doesn't do much of anything except ask other church members to do the work or pay the money to help other mormons. They also have a process in which a person who asks for help is questioned so much that he or she gets help at the cost of some dignity.

I'm not familiar with any mormon hospitals or homeless shelters or other ministries which minister to any and all whereas there are plenty of such Christian ministries. I only know that Salt Lake has a Mormon hospital - that's it. They also have a Catholic hospital there. Most mormon ministries are internal, and most of their work done outside of mormonism comes with heavy PR/advertising and heavy proselytizing. Contrast that to some of the Christian homeless shelters I've worked with that have low public recognition and require nothing of the people they house or feed in terms of religion or proselytizing; if a homeless man walked into the 'soup kitchen' he got a meal and was not proselytized if he didn't want to be.

There are many, many mormons who do charity work in their communities and all too often the mormon religion and churches take credit for that; but the fact is that those people do that work by their own volition and not as a ministry of the church. It is often considered a "ministry" by the church after the fact, but really it's just individuals doing charity work.

I think it's very inaccurate to single out mormon church(es) and imply that they somehow do as much or more than other Christian churches when in fact they do not.
First, do you live in an LDS community? If not, everything you claim is mere heresay. I have a slightly different point of view living in Utah. As I said, I don't agree with their teachings, but I also disagree with religious types such as you who attack in the name of tolerance. You don't know what works are done in communities that go under the radar which are performed by the LDS. They are not the ones naming any activity they undertake to be "Christian" this or that.

You know, your intolerance just marks you as being unchristian, intolerant and as bearing false witness to your professed god.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,689 times
Quote:
Why is it rude for me to have an opinion that you're wrong and not rude for you to have an opinion that I'm wrong? Why the double standard?
It is not rude to have differences of opinion Johnny, or we'd all be rude. It's how you express those opinions that can be rude. Even the moderator agrees with me about you, which you'd know if you scrolled up a bit. I'm not certain but I think the mods have deleted some of your posts too because of the uncivil manner that some of them were written.

I think you're getting better at civil discourse though. I only wish you'd cease to pretend that what you write about the Latter-day Saints is true, it's almost invariably not.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:31 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
First, do you live in an LDS community? If not, everything you claim is mere heresay.
That is illogical. I don't live in Quebec but I know that they love to eat poutine there and they serve poutine all over the province. It's not "hearsay" to know something about a place where one doesn't live.

Quote:
I have a slightly different point of view living in Utah. As I said, I don't agree with their teachings, but I also disagree with religious types such as you who attack in the name of tolerance. You don't know what works are done in communities that go under the radar which are performed by the LDS. They are not the ones naming any activity they undertake to be "Christian" this or that.
I don't agree with your allegations of "intolerance". I think you are doing what several others in this thread have done, that being attacking me personally in an effort to avoid discussion of the topic (in this case, that of mormon charity work).

Furthermore, if you are going to make the claim that I "don't know what works are done in communities that go under the radar which are performed by the LDS", I can also claim that you don't know what works are done in communities that go under the radar which are performed by Christians, or Jews, or Muslims, or Hindus, or Occultists, or any other group, and it is therefore still disingenuous of you to have singled out the mormons as "tak[ing] care of their people and those that are not theirs" and "teach[ing] a behavioral pattern that is commendable" as if this is a point of distinction from other religious groups.

Quote:
You know, your intolerance just marks you as being unchristian, intolerant and as bearing false witness to your professed god.
More personal attacks, I see. Why not just stick to the topic? Why is it necessary for you to fabricate allegations and attack me?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
That is illogical. I don't live in Quebec but I know that they love to eat poutine there and they serve poutine all over the province. It's not "hearsay" to know something about a place where one doesn't live.

Actually, that is the definition of hearsay. Second hand information.

I don't agree with your allegations of "intolerance". I think you are doing what several others in this thread have done, that being attacking me personally in an effort to avoid discussion of the topic (in this case, that of mormon charity work).

Of course you disagree with being told you are intolerant. You are the one being so. An attack is not performed by telling the truth and your version of "discussion" is limited to your views only. That is not discussion.

Furthermore, if you are going to make the claim that I "don't know what works are done in communities that go under the radar which are performed by the LDS", I can also claim that you don't know what works are done in communities that go under the radar which are performed by Christians, or Jews, or Muslims, or Hindus, or Occultists, or any other group, and it is therefore still disingenuous of you to have singled out the mormons as "tak[ing] care of their people and those that are not theirs" and "teach[ing] a behavioral pattern that is commendable" as if this is a point of distinction from other religious groups.

Pardon me for not knowing that you are omnipotent in your knowledge of everything. Your "claims" should be proof enough for anyone

More personal attacks, I see. Why not just stick to the topic? Why is it necessary for you to fabricate allegations and attack me?
You subscribe to a method of attack, yet claim foul when you perceive an attack on yourself? Have you sought medical attention?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:51 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Fini.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality