Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:46 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

If you look at the religion forum, you see way too many people fine combing all aspects of religion and having to interpret everthing, as if their religions haven't provided them a good sense of what is right and wrong. Get a life. Seriously. Get a life.

I'm a product of Catholic schools (the whole way through) and still identify with this faith. However, enough is enough. Other than going to Church, the rest is UP TO ME - faith is ACTION, not constantly B.S.ing about it and finding verses to quote. All the back and forth has diminishing returns - it does not earn you brownie points. In fact, if you are a hypocrite and all you do is wave the religious "look at me, look at me" banner, you get demerits in my book. My mother is a devout Catholic and it blows my mind to see how petty and "unChristian like" so many people in her parish are.

Why this constant overanalysis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 06:12 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
The main reason is because religion has killed hundreds of millions and is still going. The best thing to do is understand it so we can see how to get rid of it.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
for me I believe it is basic human nature to do exporation whether it is in theology, the wide variety of sciences, spituality, or with self-evaluation. Knowledge is the meaning of life without it we have no reason for being. To gain knowledge is element. We must explore the wide variety of life to better ourselves. To understand past, present and future.
this forum lends itself to open and wide discussions on many topic but mostly religion is element to life itself. It bodes the "meaning of life" questions and with so many wonderful religious rites, rituals and beliefs so much can be learned and gain even from common teachings.
It is never a waste of time if one wants to learn, to question, to answer, to become knowledgable.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:09 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
It is never a waste of time if one wants to learn, to question, to answer, to become knowledgable.
Agreed. Knowledge is power. However, the guilt trip and the "you are bad" (thanks to the nuns in parochial school) message found in some religions can be offputting.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:34 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
The main reason is because religion has killed hundreds of millions and is still going. The best thing to do is understand it so we can see how to get rid of it.

One could argue that atheism has killed more...so your statement is weak.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:55 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
"... get a life ..."

honestly!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:32 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,356,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
One could argue that atheism has killed more...so your statement is weak.
You could argue, but you would be wrong, and from all the post on this forum listing the deaths caused by religion you already know it.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you look at the religion forum, you see way too many people fine combing all aspects of religion and having to interpret everthing, as if their religions haven't provided them a good sense of what is right and wrong. Get a life. Seriously. Get a life.

I'm a product of Catholic schools (the whole way through) and still identify with this faith. However, enough is enough. Other than going to Church, the rest is UP TO ME - faith is ACTION, not constantly B.S.ing about it and finding verses to quote. All the back and forth has diminishing returns - it does not earn you brownie points. In fact, if you are a hypocrite and all you do is wave the religious "look at me, look at me" banner, you get demerits in my book. My mother is a devout Catholic and it blows my mind to see how petty and "unChristian like" so many people in her parish are.

Why this constant overanalysis?
Bible study is the art of looking for loopholes in the bible. It lets people hate pretty much everyone while convincing themselves that what they do is justified.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:34 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Agreed. Knowledge is power. However, the guilt trip and the "you are bad" (thanks to the nuns in parochial school) message found in some religions can be offputting.
I wouldn't agree with the knowledge is power but I would agree that knowledge is understanding. to me using knowledge as a power over someone is akin to doing harm to someone, unless you are helping them. But that is a whole other topic of discussion.

Never had to deal with nuns in school but all the nuns I have known throughout my life never seemed to have the "you are bad" approach to teaching or sharing information. Sorry that happened to you.

it could be possible that to some the thought of over-analyzing religion is not accomplishing a darn thing. for some people it doesn't help them what so ever, yet there are those who enjoy the discussion when it is just a open and honest discussion without demeaning comments. Then there are those who thrive and enjoy the chaos the topic can bring. I believe it is in that latter here in which the topic can become quite over-analytical and mundane. You get the "oh here we go again" feeling.

I ignore the latter and seek out those who really wish to discuss openly and honestly without getting lost or spin cobwebs on the subject. But then again I like those whom are able to emapthize with other ideas and not just thier own.

Never let a few brow-beaters stop you from seeking your own wisdom. And never stop seeking wisdom even if you made up you mind... keep asking yourself questions and then seek your answers. You might surprise yourself in what you find. I know I do. I started with Christianity, went to Wiccan, pagan, druidism, native American believes, even looked into satanism now I am happy with Gnostic and beleive in all religions that do no harm. Heck in some ways I understand satanism. Don't agree with it personally but I can understand parts of it.

seek out you own personal freedom of understanding and wisdom. Don't worry about the others.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:40 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
bek when you dump yours, you got this big empty feeling inside and you gota find somebody to blame. oh look there is a public forum, hot dog free registration too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality