Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times

Advertisements

Religious qualms aside, I think It's really a bad move for the school to go against the wishes of the parents. Parents are the ones that pay to send their kids to schools(even more if it's a private school) so it makes absolutely no sense for the school to think it has authority over the parent's child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 10:31 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
How awful for you! I thought being raised catholic was bad, but man, it was not that bad! I actually saw Footloose with my Mom, and we enjoyed it a bunch!
The movie became like an anthem for us, to listen to that KIND of music was bad enough but too listen to music from Footloose became a sign of open rebellion.

We weren't allowed to wear jewelry either, our skirts had to be down to the middle of our knees etc. There were all kinds of things like that.

Trying to keep us so tied down was what caused rebellion, not listening to a certain kind of music. I always wondered what it was like to go to a prom, now I can watch my daughter attend when it comes to be her time.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:47 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't get why a school has jurisdiction over a student outside of their property.

Imagine how shattered one's sense of worth must be to actually believe God frowns upon moving our bodies to a rhythm.

Unbelievable.

He signed up for it, and agreed to their rules. If he doesn't want to obey the rules, he shouldn't expect to be welcomed there as a student. This is a private school--not the public school. They can do what they want, and the student doesn't have to go there if he doesn't like it.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
He signed up for it, and agreed to their rules. If he doesn't want to obey the rules, he shouldn't expect to be welcomed there as a student. This is a private school--not the public school. They can do what they want, and the student doesn't have to go there if he doesn't like it.
He is a minor, it was his parents that sent him there.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:12 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
He is a minor, it was his parents that sent him there.
I'm guessing he had some input in the matter. In any event, the parents are complaining about it, too....if it's an issue to them they should put him in a different school.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
I agree that the boy signed a waiver about their rules. But what do you think of the principal signing the form saying he can go, then turning around and threatening him? The boy went through the proper channels. This is not his fault, it's the principal's.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:29 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,465 times
Quote:
So the school should be allowed to tell the kid what to do on his own time?

Typical of cults.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

Typical of cults.
You're right, it is typical of cults. Cults seek to control individuals even in areas of their lives that are beyond the cult's reach.

It's a shame that so many Christians resort to cult-like behavior. It certainly isn't Christ-like, that's for sure. It goes against the free will which God gives each of us and against the liberty we each have in Christ.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:10 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

Typical of cults.
In the Seventh Day Adventist Academy we went to they made us sign something similar, we were to follow certain rules all the time, even on our own time if it came to the boards attention we were doing something we shouldn't, it could get us kicked out.

The reality at our school is that if your entire bill was paid up (which mine always was) they weren't going to kick you out of school. NOthing would be said about your behavior unless it got to the point where the police were involved.

Money motivates the world.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:18 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
In the Seventh Day Adventist Academy we went to they made us sign something similar, we were to follow certain rules all the time, even on our own time if it came to the boards attention we were doing something we shouldn't, it could get us kicked out.

The reality at our school is that if your entire bill was paid up (which mine always was) they weren't going to kick you out of school. NOthing would be said about your behavior unless it got to the point where the police were involved.

Money motivates the world.
Exactly.

Only the late payers will be dissed. The regular tithers and school fee payers are critical to business till they stop paying like when they lose their jobs and all of a sudden the storehouse is EMPTY go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality