Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 05:25 PM

179 posts, read 537,070 times

Advertisements

ok ok hold on....before you pass out from enthusiasm.......
i'm an atheist as you probably know....and obviously i believe that there's a loooooooooooot of BS and bad information/logic out there in the religious community in general.....

but i wonder, given the supposed "good" that "some" religious organizations do, will world be a better place if there was no religion whatsoever?

well, the more i write, the more the answer (which i thought would/should be more complex than a loud YES), becomes evident)

- no killing over what different people's God believes
- no stoning over a girl going out with a boy
- no mormons knocking on your door
- no Tom Cruise!
- etc.

i think i may have my answer.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:03 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,632,456 times
My answer is not a clear yes or no because I know religious people who are responsible and a positive influence in society. I don't think the question is that simple. I am an atheist but I also have a strong feeling about the freedom of thought which would include religious beliefs. From my point of view it seems to me that any group in control of society is likely to abuse that control and a society controlled by atheists would probably abuse those who are religious. I have a problem with any group of individuals who are like minded and would like to run society according to their own rules. That would include atheists even though I am an atheist. I have always felt that the freedom to exchange ideas which is the centerpiece of democracy is an excellent idea because it allows change and allows people to grow. I can't think of any other system in which people with opposing views can actually learn from each other and be exposed to alternative points of view without feeling exploited.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
well there would not be much to complain about, except other people also angry at their former churches.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:17 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,690,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
ok ok hold on....before you pass out from enthusiasm.......
i'm an atheist as you probably know....and obviously i believe that there's a loooooooooooot of BS and bad information/logic out there in the religious community in general.....

but i wonder, given the supposed "good" that "some" religious organizations do, will world be a better place if there was no religion whatsoever?

well, the more i write, the more the answer (which i thought would/should be more complex than a loud YES), becomes evident)

- no killing over what different people's God believes
- no stoning over a girl going out with a boy
- no mormons knocking on your door
- no Tom Cruise!
- etc.

i think i may have my answer.

What do you think?
Now we are getting closer to the mythological heaven.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,933,831 times
You should take a poll.
I have no use for religion. It is my opinion that people do learn to behave in a manner that would benefit society without it. It sticks in my craw that some religious people wonder out loud how people who don't believe their brand of religion can have moral values and act in the common good.

O, sorry, back to the question: I do believe the world would be better off without it, because too many people use it for power mongering and cause much suffering to maintain their base.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:50 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,524,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Now we are getting closer to the mythological heaven.

you really think so, do you? (without emoticon!)

Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,690,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
you really think so, do you? (without emoticon!)
Yes - at least that will weed out a lot of the real hatred you see in the name of god. It is small, imaginary step
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality