Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 02:23 PM

40,048 posts, read 34,696,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Actually, for some time now, I've been hiding the fact that I, rifleman*, am the missing link. I'm less intelligent than many posters here, apparently, and I exhibit certain more primitive behavioral patterns (I hunt, I fish, I build old weapons, I like being in a tree versus in a big city high-rise apartment; I know how to survive off the land without a micro-wave, and I grunt a lot during certain, umm.. activities).
Well...OK. But shouldn't you convene a symposium of scientists first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 02:27 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,579,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Let's humour the headsmackers and instill some reason into this Natgeophilia

The preservation is so good, it is possible to see the outline of its fur and even traces of its last meal.
Last meal: a poor baby gazelle

The fossil, nicknamed Ida, is claimed to be a "missing link" between today's higher primates - monkeys, apes and humans - and more distant relatives.

Watch the word "claimed". More words - distant. Now peep an adverb in "more". Adverbs tends to make the adjectives feel good.

But some independent experts, awaiting an opportunity to see the new fossil, are sceptical of the claim.
"independent" are those who are not dependent on the emotion of the outcome. Scepticism, this is a given amongst the scientific community. Obviously someone is more intelligent than the rest. More obviously someone is less interested in conceptual "spin".

And they have been critical of the hype surrounding the presentation of Ida.
Hype

Although details of the fossil have only just been published in a scientific journal - PLoS One - there is already a TV documentary and book tie-in.
Pork, pork and more pork. Royalty, pulitzer, tuxedo talk with a trophy.

For much of the intervening period, it has been in a private collection.
Translate: Access restricted to scientists (the underprivileged ones).

He said the fossil creature was "the closest thing we can get to a direct ancestor" and described the discovery as "a dream come true".
Key words to watch: closest, closest yet direct. Oxymoroning can be a crime. Then it's dreams.

But he said some aspects of the teeth indicate she is not a direct ancestor - more of an "aunt" than a "grandmother".
It's not direct anymore.

"She belongs to the group from which higher primates and human beings developed but my impression is she is not on the direct line."

Dr Henry Gee, a senior editor at the journal Nature, said the term itself was misleading and that the scientific community would need to evaluate its significance.
No evaluation has been done YET

Missing link? Or did the OP miss the link?
Of course, nevermind that these same objections and disclaimers can be applied to the biblical arguement. Thats the bible, so it must be true!

Right.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,805,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Of course, nevermind that these same objections and disclaimers can be applied to the biblical arguement. Thats the bible, so it must be true!

Right.
Exactly, so it's a tie, comrade.

Bible 1

Evolution 1

Quit calling fowl on the other side

Let's read science in school. Then go pray in the church.

Or let's peacefully co-exist

Old 05-19-2009, 02:31 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,220,114 times
You know I totally sympathize with scientists who have been searching for the "missing link" for hundreds of years. The frustration level must be unbelievable. LOL

However, I always thought that the "missing link" referred to the step between ape and mankind - not between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom. I think they are making it up as they go along.

Having to "prove" something with tangible evidence has become the overwhelming focus of evolutionary science it seems. It has eclipsed everything else and is causing it to come to a grinding halt.

People need to move on and let it go. It's not that important, for cripes sakes.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-19-2009, 03:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,398,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Pardon me for being less-than-impressed. They found a fossil of a monkey, and have created a history around it...right down to the idea that its fractured wrist prevented it from climbing trees...so it had to leave the forest to drink and...and.....

oh boy.

And how is this a "missing link"? It was a fossil of a tiny monkey. Yay.
Right. Must just be one of the creatures that Noah forgot. Simple. End of story.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:02 PM

133 posts, read 276,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You know I totally sympathize with scientists who have been searching for the "missing link" for hundreds of years. The frustration level must be unbelievable. LOL

However, I always thought that the "missing link" referred to the step between ape and mankind - not between humans and the rest of the animal kingdom. I think they are making it up as they go along.

Having to "prove" something with tangible evidence has become the overwhelming focus of evolutionary science it seems. It has eclipsed everything else and is causing it to come to a grinding halt.

People need to move on and let it go. It's not that important, for cripes sakes.

20yrsinBranson
I believe the missing link is God. They just want to find a different way around that and will do so by any means necessary. Sadly for them, they'll go to their graves never knowing the truth and so will all of us. I can assure you, and I would bet anything on it, that in 1,000 years from now if the world and mankind is still here (that is a HUGE If) we'll still be where we are today on this subject. Sure, they'll make some advancements, but they'll never know for sure. Scientists will never be able to figure it out. Trying to figure out our evolvement without God is like trying to figure out how many corners a circle has. Here we are, in the 21st century, still no answers. We have some highly educated people taking left and right swirls at this, but no one has landed a knockout punch, nor will they ever. We can go by what they say, and suggest, and we can even go by a man who looked in the mirror and claimed he looked like a monkey, but it doesn't mean it's the truth. I don't even know to be honest. I just put my faith where it is.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:14 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,805,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It can be frustrating, indeed. Those scientists are a bunch of hard working men. It's truly a shame that I have to be picking on their efforts, because of those who spin their hard work to fit into their agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Actually, for some time now, I've been hiding the fact that I, rifleman*, am the missing link. I'm less intelligent than many posters here, apparently, and I exhibit certain more primitive behavioral patterns (I hunt, I fish, I build old weapons, I like being in a tree versus in a big city high-rise apartment; I know how to survive off the land without a micro-wave, and I grunt a lot during certain, umm.. activities).

And, I'm available for review as a transitional. And, I'm also gonna admit, this lemur was my auntie.

So. There you finally have it. Evo proved once and for all!

Satisfied?

(*once known as lemur-man....)
LOL, rifleman, it was a good write-up That gave me a chuckle. So I thought I would reciprocate.

Celebrant: Darwin be with you
Crowd: And also with you
Celebrant: A reading from the Gospel of Evolution according to scientists
Crowd: Glory to you, Darwin
Celebrant: And then the Lemur was condemned to death by the fossil rock, as the scribes and the christians cheered. It was only a few hours in the morning and the crucifixion of Ida, the queen of the fossils, was to take place in the place they called the skull museum, or the NovaYorka, as the place had been known. And to oversee the inquisition came a band of crude warriors, ruthless in behaviour and atrocity, and they sought to lead the procession of Ida, along the via lemurosa.

Notable among them was an uncouth youth whom they called a colossus for reasons unknown, flanked by his superiors, other christians with spears and short swords, chief among them, the high priest kdbrich, also known as kdaiaphas. And the lemur proceeded under the weight of the rock as lash upon lash fell on the daughter of evolution. Just at this moment, Ida stopped by a band of weeping intellectuals and she said unto them, "Children of intelligence, why do you weep for me, weep for your own fossils". Halfway into the journey, the lemur was almost crumbling from its weight of the imagination of her followers.

And at this instant, the inquisitors picked on Lemurman, whom they also called the fossilman, from the crowd. The inquisitors forced him to shoulder a part of the rock, so Ida can complete the journey to the museum. In a fit of rage, Lemurman grabs his rifle and shoots indiscrimately at the crowd of perpetrators.

It did not have any effect on the scribes and the christians, as the rifle had reverse evolved into a bb gun. And they mocked and jeered at him. To this, the lemurman said unto Ida, "Auntie, I have failed you, but remember me today so I can enter your queendom". And Ida said unto him, "Truly I tell thee, today you will enter the museum with me, on a free ticket"

This is the Gospel of our Lord.

Crowd: Praise be to Darwin.

<the fossil persecutor flees on his heels>

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 05-19-2009 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Bad grammar evolves into good grammarrrrr :-(

Old 05-20-2009, 08:38 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,579,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Exactly, so it's a tie, comrade.

Bible 1

Evolution 1

Quit calling fowl on the other side

Let's read science in school. Then go pray in the church.

Or let's peacefully co-exist
Kind of the point that I was making. Why attack a belief system that exists? Defending your own from attack or inane statements/assumptions is another matter.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:42 AM

1,787 posts, read 4,765,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Pardon me for being less-than-impressed. They found a fossil of a monkey, and have created a history around it...right down to the idea that its fractured wrist prevented it from climbing trees...so it had to leave the forest to drink and...and.....

oh boy.

And how is this a "missing link"? It was a fossil of a tiny monkey. Yay.
Don't you worry your little head about it, run along and go play with your friends now. Leave the scientific discussion to people who actually believe in science.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,088,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Right. Must just be one of the creatures that Noah forgot. Simple. End of story.

How so? No reason to believe representatives of its species (assuming it was a distinct species and not a mutation of an existing one) were not present on the ark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Don't you worry your little head about it, run along and go play with your friends now. Leave the scientific discussion to people who actually believe in science.
I believe in science. Do you? Or are you just willing to accept w/out question what someone with a nice title tells you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality