Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 11:18 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times

Advertisements

I was watching the Discovery Channel (I think that was the one), and they were explaining this theory of Bible Codes...that somehow the Bible is filled with secret hidden codes, hidden numbers and letters that spell out God's secrets, that can be found out through the use of certain computer software. Supposedly, the codes are there not only to prove the divine origin of the Bible, but to predict certain future events. I don't know what to think about it. Comments, anyone?

Bible code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 11:30 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
It sounds very Davinci like to me. Or like playing albums backwards for hidden messages.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:35 AM

253 posts, read 640,770 times
Well, I think the ELS in the bible are interesting, but you only get small words here and there, it's like finding word or name on a word search that isn't on the word list. I don't think God needs to put a cryptogram in the Bible to prove its divinity, he has the holy spirit to do that. So, although they are thought provoking, and pretty cool, I think it would be a lot easier to learn God's will by just reading the words in the Bible the way they come.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:41 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Bible Codes are they real..What code do you need to crack this one..Rev.22:18-21

Old 06-21-2007, 12:38 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
They're absolutely not real and that can be demonstrated very easily. What they've done is taken the original language and then taken all of the text and compressed it together so that it becomes a single blocks of letters. Then they just start playing around with possible combinations of codes until they find something that works. For example, if you pick every 10th letter and ignore the letters in between a computer can quickly put this into a new block of letters that's one tenth the size of the original text. Now they just skip through all of the gibberish until they find words that are formed. Well, of course they're going to find words because there's only so many letters in that ancient alphabet and the Bible is a huge book so there's going to be alot of them. What obviously proves that this is false, other than the fact that it doesn't pass the common sense test, is that it works on any large book as people have demonstrated. I believe someone did the same thing with the novel Moby Dick and came up with all sorts of words. This is complete nonsense. They even look for diagonal and vertical matches of words so they can get more hits.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:50 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
It sounds very Davinci like to me. Or like playing albums backwards for hidden messages.
Brings back memories from the early 80s where groups would "back mask" records. Ill never forget stairway to heaven..was told NOT to listen to it.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:54 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I was watching the Discovery Channel (I think that was the one), and they were explaining this theory of Bible Codes...that somehow the Bible is filled with secret hidden codes, hidden numbers and letters that spell out God's secrets, that can be found out through the use of certain computer software. Supposedly, the codes are there not only to prove the divine origin of the Bible, but to predict certain future events. I don't know what to think about it. Comments, anyone?

Bible code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nah. It's all bunk. The gnostics were actually big on "hidden knowledge." This is a heresy as old as the first century. St. John's epistles were written largely in response to the gnostic nonsense.

Biblical interpretation certainly requires a wide study of history, language, culture, etc., but there are no "hidden messages" in the Bible.

Nor in DaVinci for that matter.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:03 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Ok but you have to admit it's a good read and very entertaining, fiction can be good.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:18 PM

253 posts, read 640,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
They're absolutely not real and that can be demonstrated very easily. What they've done is taken the original language and then taken all of the text and compressed it together so that it becomes a single blocks of letters. Then they just start playing around with possible combinations of codes until they find something that works. For example, if you pick every 10th letter and ignore the letters in between a computer can quickly put this into a new block of letters that's one tenth the size of the original text. Now they just skip through all of the gibberish until they find words that are formed. Well, of course they're going to find words because there's only so many letters in that ancient alphabet and the Bible is a huge book so there's going to be alot of them. What obviously proves that this is false, other than the fact that it doesn't pass the common sense test, is that it works on any large book as people have demonstrated. I believe someone did the same thing with the novel Moby Dick and came up with all sorts of words. This is complete nonsense. They even look for diagonal and vertical matches of words so they can get more hits.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say, I think you said it much better though. The Bible already has enough deep reading with the historical context and interpretation without added romanticism anyways.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:33 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Nah. It's all bunk. The gnostics were actually big on "hidden knowledge." This is a heresy as old as the first century. St. John's epistles were written largely in response to the gnostic nonsense.

Biblical interpretation certainly requires a wide study of history, language, culture, etc., but there are no "hidden messages" in the Bible.

Well Mark, I have to agree with you on this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality