U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:37 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,195,043 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if some of the more evangelical members of the board watched the History Channel show on tonight (it's on right now West Coast time) about books banned from the Bible. I believe this is the second show of the series.

Just would like to get their thoughts. I actually think it is a very interesting show and illustrates how books are selected and not selected for the Bible. Also shows that people and characters referred to in the cannonical Bible have whole other books that explain their whole back story.

I thought it was very interesting that there are two, contradictory versions of creation of the first man and woman. This is how the whole story of Lilith, who was mentioned by name in another book in the Bible. Lilith is actually a pagan Samaritan demon. Very interesting...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 10:50 PM

610 posts, read 3,137,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Just wondering if some of the more evangelical members of the board watched the History Channel show on tonight (it's on right now West Coast time) about books banned from the Bible. I believe this is the second show of the series.

Just would like to get their thoughts. I actually think it is a very interesting show and illustrates how books are selected and not selected for the Bible. Also shows that people and characters referred to in the cannonical Bible have whole other books that explain their whole back story.

I thought it was very interesting that there are two, contradictory versions of creation of the first man and woman. This is how the whole story of Lilith, who was mentioned by name in another book in the Bible. Lilith is actually a pagan Samaritan demon. Very interesting...
You're absolutely correct! This is interesting! Listen, it doesn't matter on the "evangelical" level. The matter of faith begins way before that point! It's all covered. (thump-thump).
I've always known about these "other" books - and the process - and came to realize at a graciously early age that it just doesn't matter as the thread of truth that is so strong within can't be overcome by mere and mortal fact - it's all about the thread - and we've got the thread-part right!
One should remember that we humans have had religion to play with for a long, long time and with the most positive vibe I can put together I still must announce that we screw-up everything we play with! Messed on the thread - playful idiots - 3 Stooges every one.
So, No Irwin, I don't think it matters on that evangelical level.
After all, we've all already got it a little right.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the response. Although I am not Christian, I of course can see how it wouldn't effect their faith in what Christians believe in regards to Jesus.

I guess my main question would be how do people who take the Bible literally (not figuratively or as allegory) deal with these issues. I mean, are pagan demons who attack men at night to get their sexual energy literal truth, since she was mentioned in the Bible?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse on this issue, but I think it is important (even for non-Christians like myself) given, for example, there seems to be so many who take the creation story in the Bible as literal truth and try to downplay science in our public schools.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:03 AM

4,406 posts, read 5,794,674 times
I find it surprising the lack of responses on this thread. One can assume that Christians don't want anything to do with facts or history that doesn't fit the world of the Bible. Any suggestion of the inabsoluteness of the Bible is immediately dismissed or considered demonic. For me, it's just proof that the power of belief supersedes the ability to think rationally.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:11 AM

1,406 posts, read 4,867,984 times
Quote:
I guess my main question would be how do people who take the Bible literally (not figuratively or as allegory) deal with these issues. I mean, are pagan demons who attack men at night to get their sexual energy literal truth, since she was mentioned in the Bible?
Could you tell me where to find this in the Bible?

Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 AM

22,409 posts, read 32,127,417 times
Quote:

I guess my main question would be how do people who take the Bible literally (not figuratively or as allegory) deal with these issues.

I have no problem taking the Bible literally, I believe it is the Word of God, inspired by God, I don't always understand it but I always believe it.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:39 AM

1,406 posts, read 4,867,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I find it surprising the lack of responses on this thread. One can assume that Christians don't want anything to do with facts or history that doesn't fit the world of the Bible. Any suggestion of the inabsoluteness of the Bible is immediately dismissed or considered demonic. For me, it's just proof that the power of belief supersedes the ability to think rationally.
Probably one reason there are few responses is due to the time it was first posted. Most of us in Eastern and Central Time Zones were likely asleep!

I haven't seen the program on the History Channel so I don't have an opinion on it yet.

There are many reasons why certain writings were not included in the Canons. From Josh McDowell's book "Evidence for Christianity", specifically on the Apocryphal Books, reasons for excluding them from the Hebrew canon:

1. They abound in historical and geographical inaccuracies and anachronisms.
2. They teach doctrines that are false and foster practices that are at variance with inspired Scripture.
3. They resort to literary types and display an artificiality of subject matter and styling out of keeping with inspired Scripture.
4. They lack the distinctive elements that give genuine Scripture its divine character, such as prophetic power and poetic and religious feeling (Unger, NUBD, 85).

Also from the above book:

No canon or council of the Chrisitan church recognized the Apocrypha as inspired for nearly 4 centuries. Jesus nor any New Testament writer quoted from the Apocrypha. It wasn't until 1546 that the Roman Catholic Church included the apocryphal books - a different Bible than the one of 66 books that other Christians use.

If there are other writings that are referenced in the program, then they obviously were not considered inspired of God and should not be included in His Word even though some may have some type of value for Christian living.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:11 AM

mhouse-

I agree. I would think some who claim to be so religious would be interested in delving into these interesting stories. Shows the history and the links to other beliefs of their religion. Not sure why people are so scared of this? Unless they don't want to have to believe that, if taken literally, they will have to believe in things they don't want to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
Could you tell me where to find this in the Bible?
She is actually mentioned twice, although only once by name. First was Gen. 1:27 where there is a mention of making man and woman at the same time. This is before the mention of the creation of Eve through the traditional story in Gen. 2:21.

She is mentioned specifically by name in Isaiah 34:14. The translations from the original Hebrew lilit vary but range from "screech owl" to "night owl" to "night hag" to "vampire." Yet, in the end this is reference to a demon, originally of Sumerian origin and is linked to the first woman created in Genesis. As you probably know, the Adam and Eve story was adopted from more ancient Sumerian story that had the first man originally paired with a woman who was eventually banned and roamed the world as a demon praying on mortals. This was also discussed in more detail in Ben-Sira.

Interestingly enough, Lilith has been associated with owls back to her Sumerian roots. It seems Roman myth at the time also had a female vampire-like creature that was associated with owls. So maybe this is where the owl reference comes from. Notice the owls below.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 AM

10,193 posts, read 25,837,046 times
I hope they rebroadcast the program. I had a Sunday special of my own yesterday--a new grandchild and missed the program except for some bits at the end.

I'm certain it provided some interesting information that couldn't hurt us all to hear and learn more about in a world of mis- and dis-information.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,996,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I did not see the program.

You mention the lack of response from Christian. This is the way I see it, and I am assuming most Christians. God gave us the Bible, His word. If I believe in Him, and that He created the world and all in it it is no problem for me to believe that He made sure we have all we need to know in the Bible. I don't understand why you can't see this point?

I trust that God gave us His word, complete, all we need. I do not believe man could interfer with this. God gave us his word through divine intervention.

I believe a lot of these so-called "controversies" are contrived to make money. What is selling today? The Da Vinci code etc. I really think they have little value. That is why I believe you have seen such few responses by Christians. Maybe non christains find it more interesting to speculate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality