Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:43 AM

57 posts, read 77,886 times

Advertisements

That is, once a year, in front of the United Nations, and then the ashes removed from the planet?
The Bible is a holy book that has been used to commit much CRIME for many centuries.
It is not God’s Book [God doesn’t write books!!], but a DANGEROUS WEAPON of the fanatical and superstitious.
Then: once a year, officially, throughout the world, for two or three generations, to deliver the human race from its offensive gods and christs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:48 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
On principle, I am normally against burning of any books, but...in the case of the bible, it has done a lot of harm to a lot of people and perhaps that book should be relegated to the "fires of hell" not the humans it threatens.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
I say go one step further and burn a copy of every religious text. No need to show favortism.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:17 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
I think it's enough just to mock those who believe in it.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:48 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,904 times
I don’t see any truth in the bible, but I would never burn a book as a method to control humanity. In the worst case the Bible will attract the weak and scared. In the best situation it shows how violent the christian faith is and many false teachings.
I think the burnings of books in the past by the catholic church and those who thought they were doing good in reality destroyed historic records and committed a crime against knowledge and truth. I hope we have learned from that and don’t repeat the same mistake.

Last edited by cncracer; 05-23-2009 at 09:36 AM..

Old 05-23-2009, 08:58 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
julio2 wrote:
Quote:
That is, once a year, in front of the United Nations, and then the ashes removed from the planet?
Sorry, I think it's a ridiculous idea that would be offensive to millions of well intentioned Christians. And how would the ashes be removed from the planet? A special trip by the space shuttle? I completely agree that literally millions have suffered due to the injustices of religious extremism over the centuries but consider a couple of points. When you go out of your way to insult someone's personal religious or even atheist beliefs you've just lost the debate because they're no longer going to listen to anything that you might have to say because your actions don't make you to appear to be a reasonable person and the result will be the hardening of positions on both sides and less of a chance for progress.
Anyone who reads these forums can find posts by Christians who are open to having a conversation about our differing beliefs and why we feel the way we do. How do you think it would make them feel it you take the book that they believe is sacred and burn it in public? It would be very similar to people who burn American flags, it doesn't go over very big and it makes the person who did it look like a jerk. Just my opinion.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:11 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,624 times
Montana Guy,

While I agree with you about not burning the bible, I do think it is appropriate to mock ridiculous ideas. I don't think a stupid idea should be saved from ridicule simply because they are religious.

For too long, I think we have given religion a pass, and I don't think it rates one. If an idea is unsupportable, it should be mocked. We shouldn't spare them, or the feelings of people that believe in them. We should point our fingers at them and laugh for believe in what amounts to fairytales.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:17 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Burn the bible (or any books)? Ridiculous and childish idea of thinking any belief, faith or religion can be wiped out by burning a book..Belief in God/creator is written in the hearts of the those who seek Him and find Him

The bible (a compilation of 66 books about the history and the emergence of religion and prophetic announcements of the birth, death and resurrection of Christ) are not Holy.
It was written by men of great faith and wisdom..
God is Holy His Word (Jesus) is holy and the Spirit is holy..not the book which has become a holy symbol to many..which is their decision and I respect that so I would not be a part of burning the bible, the Koran or any religious book that people depend on..

This is my personal opinion only

Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,175 times
No - no book should be burned because we don't agree with or adhere to it's content. As for burning every religious text - isn't that bordering of fascism?? Where on earth do you stop? It sounds a bit Fahrenheit 451 to me. Not to mention that religious texts contain a lot of historical information...even if you don't believe them to be factual.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:20 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julio2 View Post
The Bible is a holy book that has been used to commit much CRIME for many centuries.
It is not God’s Book [God doesn’t write books!!], but a DANGEROUS WEAPON of the fanatical and superstitious.
Then: once a year, officially, throughout the world, for two or three generations, to deliver the human race from its offensive gods and christs?
No, it shouldn't. By doing that, you are saying that you think it has power. Ignoring it and trying to help humanity rise above and leave behind the evil parts of the bible, you'd be doing a much greater service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality