U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 AM

2,345 posts, read 4,032,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraysse View Post
MrBlueSky and Miss DaniMae1: If you think the Bible is the “perfect word of God” and finding out differently will kill your “faith” or, in other words, your faith is based on a book, you had best stop your questionings now.

Otherwise, the Documentary Hypothesis (try searching it) explains how and to some degree why the first 5 books of the OT (The Torah) were written. This theory easily explains why we get the issues you have noticed.

Here is the Wikipedia link. There are also some very good books on the subject if you are really interested.

Documentary hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grace & Peace, John
Oh I definately don't think the bible is the "perfect" word of god! I used to be in that camp, but left for higher ground.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 AM

7,087 posts, read 13,549,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
They are complimentary, not contradictory. From one of my ealier posts:

Genesis 1 = overview; focused on general sequence of events. Plants were created on Day 3, before God created Adam on Day 6. This refers to plants and trees in general, forests & jungles, a global perspective.

Genesis 2 = specific; focused on Day 6 around the creation of Adam. Plants and herbs of the field, those needing tending by a human were not yet in place in Eden because Adam was not yet created. Once Adam was created then God planted the fields of the garden that Adam was to tend and placed him in it.

Genesis 1 = again, overview. Sea creatures and birds were created on Day 5 of creation week; land animals were created on Day 6, before Adam & Eve.

Genesis 2 = specific, focused on Adam and Eve and what was relevant to them. Once Adam was created and placed in the Garden of Eden, then God brought to Adam the animals He had formed or created to be named. Did Adam name every creature created? No. The bible tells us that Adam named birds of the sky, livestock and beasts of the field -- those animals he would have most contact and/or interaction with.

Genesis 1 - overview. On Day 6, after creating land animals, God made man; He made them male and female, a general statement.

Genesis 2 - specific to Adam and Eve. Gives more detailed information about the sequence of events on Day 6 as to how Adam was created first, before woman, yet after the land animals. Then Adam named the animals and realized that there were no other creatures like himself (IMO reinforcing to Adam he was a special creation, in the image of God, set apart from all other animals/creatures). Then God created Eve as a wife for Adam and sanctified marriage.

I hope this helps clarify my position ... Genesis 1 and 2 are complementary, not contradictory.
Certainly sounds like Sophistry to me!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 AM

138 posts, read 154,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Oh I definately don't think the bible is the "perfect" word of god! I used to be in that camp, but left for higher ground.
Good for you, Sis! I think you can count on God's Spirit to let you know what is for you when you read the Bible. There's a bunch of evil but also a lot and good stuff too!

Wishing you God's Grace & Peace on your Journey, John

Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,659,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfraysse View Post
MrBlueSky and Miss DaniMae1: If you think the Bible is the “perfect word of God” and finding out differently will kill your “faith” or, in other words, your faith is based on a book, you had best stop your questionings now.
Of course I don't believe The Bible is the perfect word of your god, or any god for that matter. Not since I was five years old anyway. That was the gist of my question in my previous post; if (the real) GOD had been involved with it, it wouldn't have so many errors and contradictions.

And no, accepting that fact has never stopped me seeking and asking questions. That's why I left the juvenile beliefs of organized religions behind a loooong, looong time ago and now have a more rational and mature understanding with GOD.. and he's most definately NOT the god of Christianity and The BIble.

Quote:
Otherwise, the Documentary Hypothesis (try searching it) explains how and to some degree why the first 5 books of the OT (The Torah) were written. This theory easily explains why we get the issues you have noticed.

Here is the Wikipedia link. There are also some very good books on the subject if you are really interested.

Documentary hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grace & Peace, John
Oh, I already know all about the Bible's origins, thanks - it was plagiarized and cobbled together from earlier civilizations' mythology such as the Enuma Elish, the Epic of Gilgamesh and others.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,696,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Why would the perfect word of a perfect god need to be written in this manner?
Ever read the first part of John?....LOL

Ever read Revelation?....

You are not the only one to come away from reading something in the bible and ask, "Why such a weird way of writing?"

My answer is-
"Sorry, I didnt write the bible"

Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,953,251 times
hello op:

"i never realized ..."
imho, it's never too late and seldom too early.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 PM

444 posts, read 1,127,529 times
I am glad to see discussion of the confusing things that the Bible says, and the patience of those who help us to understand the meanings better. I have never read the whole Bible, I became confused by it too many times and stopped trying to read it like a book in sequential pages. I went to church and listened and looked up specific passages to understand the sermon, and I remember them only because they took the time to help me understand what it meant. I am trying again, to make it through it in full, but now that I am older and my eyes have not been so clear, I need large print or the Good Book on tape now, lol...God help me get to the goal! I still have the Bible my grandma gave me with my name on it in 1973, and when she died, they gave me her Bible where she marked the passages she had been reading, that to me is a sacred message, that came to me directly. I am glad in it!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:50 PM

271 posts, read 217,170 times
Quote:

Genesis 1 = overview; focused on general sequence of events. Plants were created on Day 3, before God created Adam on Day 6. This refers to plants and trees in general, forests & jungles, a global perspective.

Genesis 2 = specific; focused on Day 6 around the creation of Adam. Plants and herbs of the field, those needing tending by a human were not yet in place in Eden because Adam was not yet created. Once Adam was created then God planted the fields of the garden that Adam was to tend and placed him in it.

Genesis 1 = again, overview. Sea creatures and birds were created on Day 5 of creation week; land animals were created on Day 6, before Adam & Eve.

Genesis 2 = specific, focused on Adam and Eve and what was relevant to them. Once Adam was created and placed in the Garden of Eden, then God brought to Adam the animals He had formed or created to be named. Did Adam name every creature created? No. The bible tells us that Adam named birds of the sky, livestock and beasts of the field -- those animals he would have most contact and/or interaction with.

Genesis 1 - overview. On Day 6, after creating land animals, God made man; He made them male and female, a general statement.

Genesis 2 - specific to Adam and Eve. Gives more detailed information about the sequence of events on Day 6 as to how Adam was created first, before woman, yet after the land animals. Then Adam named the animals and realized that there were no other creatures like himself (IMO reinforcing to Adam he was a special creation, in the image of God, set apart from all other animals/creatures). Then God created Eve as a wife for Adam and sanctified marriage.

I hope this helps clarify my position ... Genesis 1 and 2 are complementary, not contradictory.

This is total BS and Hitler was really trying to complement the Jews. LOL

Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 PM

4,512 posts, read 6,953,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
This is total BS and Hitler was really trying to complement the Jews. LOL
not lol.

the latest compliments might go to dick cheney and don rumsfeld...
complementing the beating around the bush ....

Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 PM

3,067 posts, read 3,696,270 times
Quote:

This is correct!

You have a good understanding of the text.

(and your good manners show you have allowed the teachings of the Bible to sink into your heart)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality