U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 PM

2,345 posts, read 4,025,239 times

Advertisements

I honestly never caught this about the creation story...I have heard people say there were contradictions, but until now it never clicked....There are two different accounts of when the animals were created...but I am sure everyone here but me knew that!

Genesis 1:25-26 and god made the beasts of the earth after his kind, the cattle after their kind, and everything that creepeth upon the earth after his kind. and god saw that it was good and said let us make man in our image after our likeness.

Genesis 2: 18-19 and the lord god said "it is not good that the man should be alone" I will make for him an helpmeet for him, and out of the ground god formed every beast of the field and every fowl of the air...etc...

What I want is an explanation as to why this discrepancy is there. There is no misinterpreting these. Pretty cut and dry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,457,880 times
Default Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 ...

They are complimentary, not contradictory. From one of my ealier posts:

Genesis 1 = overview; focused on general sequence of events. Plants were created on Day 3, before God created Adam on Day 6. This refers to plants and trees in general, forests & jungles, a global perspective.

Genesis 2 = specific; focused on Day 6 around the creation of Adam. Plants and herbs of the field, those needing tending by a human were not yet in place in Eden because Adam was not yet created. Once Adam was created then God planted the fields of the garden that Adam was to tend and placed him in it.

Genesis 1 = again, overview. Sea creatures and birds were created on Day 5 of creation week; land animals were created on Day 6, before Adam & Eve.

Genesis 2 = specific, focused on Adam and Eve and what was relevant to them. Once Adam was created and placed in the Garden of Eden, then God brought to Adam the animals He had formed or created to be named. Did Adam name every creature created? No. The bible tells us that Adam named birds of the sky, livestock and beasts of the field -- those animals he would have most contact and/or interaction with.

Genesis 1 - overview. On Day 6, after creating land animals, God made man; He made them male and female, a general statement.

Genesis 2 - specific to Adam and Eve. Gives more detailed information about the sequence of events on Day 6 as to how Adam was created first, before woman, yet after the land animals. Then Adam named the animals and realized that there were no other creatures like himself (IMO reinforcing to Adam he was a special creation, in the image of God, set apart from all other animals/creatures). Then God created Eve as a wife for Adam and sanctified marriage.

I hope this helps clarify my position ... Genesis 1 and 2 are complementary, not contradictory.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:41 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,913,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
I honestly never caught this about the creation story...I have heard people say there were contradictions, but until now it never clicked....There are two different accounts of when the animals were created...but I am sure everyone here but me knew that!

Genesis 1:25-26 and god made the beasts of the earth after his kind, the cattle after their kind, and everything that creepeth upon the earth after his kind. and god saw that it was good and said let us make man in our image after our likeness.

Genesis 2: 18-19 and the lord god said "it is not good that the man should be alone" I will make for him an helpmeet for him, and out of the ground god formed every beast of the field and every fowl of the air...etc...

What I want is an explanation as to why this discrepancy is there. There is no misinterpreting these. Pretty cut and dry.
Off the top of my head, there were two sects, yawehists and elohimists. The dude responsible for Jeremiah, did a merger of the separate accounts. The bible does indicte that the tribe of Judah and Israel were separate and even warred against each other.

I do not have a link but of course the apologists sites will give you answers like the 1st respondent. Try looking up on google and ignore the apologist sites.

Regards

Old 06-02-2009, 10:48 PM

15,022 posts, read 27,485,036 times
While you're pondering this, did you ever wonder where Cain's wife came from?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 PM

7,654 posts, read 10,225,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post

The second account is not given in numerical order. The first account is, the second account provides more details, yet they are the same story.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:28 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,690,629 times
DaniMae:

I think the way the story is writen is that we first get a fast overview of the full story, then later we drop back and go over the same story again, but this time we take our time to really get to know the events in more detail.

EXAMPLE....If I were talking to someone about what I did this morning I might say that I was "on-line" for a while.

Then later I might go back and explane in more detail what I meant and quote this post that you are reading that I wrote.

In the story of Genesis we first get a overview of the story leading up to the creation of mankind.
Then in Chapter 2 we drop back and go over things again in more detail.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:01 AM

1,273 posts, read 1,654,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
DaniMae:

I think the way the story is writen is that we first get a fast overview of the full story, then later we drop back and go over the same story again, but this time we take our time to really get to know the events in more detail.

EXAMPLE....If I were talking to someone about what I did this morning I might say that I was "on-line" for a while.

Then later I might go back and explane in more detail what I meant and quote this post that you are reading that I wrote.

In the story of Genesis we first get a overview of the story leading up to the creation of mankind.
Then in Chapter 2 we drop back and go over things again in more detail.
Why would the perfect word of a perfect god need to be written in this manner?

Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 AM

2,345 posts, read 4,025,239 times
I am just sitting with my jaw on my keyboard at some of the responses! I'm sorry but a 5 year old could read those 2 passages and see that the 1st one says god made the animals and then adam and the 2nd one says he made adam and then the animals cause adam was lonely....

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 AM

15,022 posts, read 27,485,036 times
If you're looking at it from the standpoint of man being a mere animal, it's a moot question.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:40 AM

138 posts, read 154,497 times
MrBlueSky and Miss DaniMae1: If you think the Bible is the “perfect word of God” and finding out differently will kill your “faith” or, in other words, your faith is based on a book, you had best stop your questionings now.

Otherwise, the Documentary Hypothesis (try searching it) explains how and to some degree why the first 5 books of the OT (The Torah) were written. This theory easily explains why we get the issues you have noticed.

Here is the Wikipedia link. There are also some very good books on the subject if you are really interested.

Documentary hypothesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grace & Peace, John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality