Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,581,145 times

Advertisements

The thread about the plane crash got me thinking about the religious concept that every single event has to have some hidden meaning or purpose and we simply aren't able to grasp what that purpose might be. I'm curious about how Christians view any sort of accident, natural disaster such as a hurricane or earthquake, or any event that impacts human beings. For example, suppose you're driving down the freeway and you have a tire blowout which causes your vehicle to flip over resulting in your death. Can any Christian look at an event such as this as just a very unfortunate accident or does it really involve the intervention of God who is manipulating every single thing in nature down to the molecular level in order to pursue his master plan that we're just too stupid to understand? If you really follow through with the logic that every event has a purpose that would mean that God is busily arranging every manner of human death and suffering and making sure that the people involved are in the right place at the right time to fullfil his mysterious purpose. Is this really what Christians believe or is it possible that tragic accidents just happen under certain circumstances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 PM

810 posts, read 1,432,739 times
Eccl 9:11 speaks of time and chance happening to all...doesn't matter if you're rich, able bodied, wise, or skillfiul. Sometimes unforseen occurences befall us all.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,499,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
Eccl 9:11 speaks of time and chance happening to all...doesn't matter if ...

lol, if i may, already ....
if you're rich, able bodied, wise, or skillful.

this IS what's happening: becoming. the outcome!!!

Sometimes unforseen occurences befall us all.
\!!

Last edited by effie g-tad; 06-05-2009 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: income included!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:07 PM

810 posts, read 1,432,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
\!!
I don't understand your response...sorry

Old 06-05-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
I don't understand your response...sorry

check (with) the wisdom of a(nother) skillful language.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 06-05-2009 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: chapter and verse dutifully noted!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,390,120 times
What if your tire blows out and you're not in a fatal accident, you just have a flat tire. Who caused that? Does god only deal in fatal catrastrophies?

Old 06-05-2009, 02:25 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,002,612 times
It's called syncronicities. Everything happens based on the response or action before. That's why we always have to think before we act or say something.
We are the actors in the play and everything is syncronized according to our actions, or more importantly, our intent.
The butterfly flapping it's wings across the world causing a hurricane on the other side is a good example.
There are also no accidents. Ever.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:26 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,387,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
What if your tire blows out and you're not in a fatal accident, you just have a flat tire. Who caused that? Does god only deal in fatal catrastrophies?
I think that would be caused by the "Firestone" angel...they are out there to flatten good folks tires and make money for the tire manufacturers so the christian ones have more profit to give to god's kingdom.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
It's called syncronicities. Everything happens based on the response or action before. That's why we always have to think before we act or say something.
We are the actors in the play and everything is syncronized according to our actions, or more importantly, our intent.
The butterfly flapping it's wings across the world causing a hurricane on the other side is a good example.
There are also no accidents. Ever.
no, but chaos. some like to call it confusion, don't they? flapsy, sort of.

it takes a little while to identify the little butterflies across the atlantic..
coming like kool aid, sort of.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,581,145 times
A friend and coworker in Arizona had a blowout in a company truck and according to the truck driver behind him he did three complete rollovers. Luckily his injuries were relatively minor but the reason it happened is because our company was buying really cheap tires to save a little money and there were a few accidents because of that decision. I don't see the work of God in an incident like that and of course I don't believe in God anyway so that goes without saying. I was hit by a car when I was in junior high school riding one of those mopeds and could easily have been killed. As far as I'm concerned it was sheer luck and the fact that it was a Volkswagon as opposed to a firetruck. There are probably millions of accidents of one sort or another worldwide and I see no purpose or hidden meaning in any of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality