U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 08:37 AM

113 posts, read 602,594 times

Advertisements

I will first state that my opinions here are just that, opinions. I am not looking to ridicule any religion or beleive. I am just questioning many things as I am getting more confused.

I am a protestant and a by faith I believe in God. I was raised by a jewish step father & mom was protestant...My dad was catholic. Friends were all of the above, hindu, and athiest. Got a good chance to see many sids of these visions.

Now I believe in God 100 %. You cannot look at this universe and deny that something somewhere created this. But God appears to be a relative term. Is it an all knowing being, a scientist creating a world in a lab, or anything in between. Regardless of what or whom, I believe that respect is due. I cannot deny the existance of God no more than I can prove it. No one anywhere can deny that someone or something created the universe from the start, hence my respect.

What continues to confuse me is the amount of religions out there. I can appreciate the beauty of their traditions. What I dont understand, without getting into the extensive list, is this.... How can one religion state they are the one true religion, offer salvation and the unconditional love of their God... but on the same hand refusal to beleive in their system earns you eternal damnation? If God is all loving, why would he care? I then have to remember that Religion is man made or mans interpitation of the requests of God.

Even in my fellow christian religions.... once you hear the word of Jesus Christ and accept him as your savior, you are all set. However to hear the word of Jesus and not accept him as a savior means damnation. My 1/2 brother, whom is of Jewish faith was taught that to worship Jesus means you are worshiping a false idol, thus breaking a commandment. I dont think anyone can deny that this makes sense to some degree. But again... the commandments are infact mans vision of God's request.

Today in the USA to publically discriminate against any race, religion, or sex would be considered wrong both morally and possibly legally. However, to discriminate that your religion is the right one and tell someone they will burn in hell for not believing in your faith is acceptable? Certaintly acts of violence for any reason, religion or not, would end you up with you in court. But to verbally deny someone a Freedom would also do the same thing. To not tolerate another religion and tell someone that their belief wont cut it and end them hell is ok?

Religion to me is a way to explain the unexplained. I cannot exlain why my Aunt, stricken with MS and could barely move, was hit on the head by the preacher on stage and could walk... with no assistance right away. She believed in God and thus thanked him. Possible? ... of course. People seem to need to explain the unexplainable. Miracles are often credited to their God. I am not saying that credit is or isnt due here. However, one cannot deny that Religion does fill a major gap in the human psychology to put the mind at ease about a mystery.

So in the end....what type of faith is there for me? I am open minded and can accept that everyone has a religion without forcing my opinion. What form of belief accepts all as equal with respect? I cannot believe or put my faith into a system that provides damnation for their own opinions, especially where those opinions are ones of peace, tolerance, and acceptance of others.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:08 PM

48,658 posts, read 14,614,036 times
That's a good post and I rated you.

I can understand the reasoning behind supposing that 'something' did it. I don't know and nobody knows and the Big Bang theory..well, I shouldn't be surprised if there's something different being suggested in 50 years' time.

That said, what have we actually got? I have heard some suggestions that a creator of some kind might well want to make contact with any of its creation that could understand it. Anthony Flew went so far and so far as I know he hasn't gone Christian and neither have I. I can only say its a possibility that has something going for it.

But when we actually look for the communication, we get a lot of various religions. The communication, if there is such, is evidently a bit garbled.

So ok, it is reasonably suggested that this 'It' is the it of all religions. The claim of each religion that it is the God of everyone but only THEY have understood it right can safely be dismissed, I think.

So, if I admitted the possibility of any god (and the theists who have had the tough end of me might be surprised that I might even go that far) I would see it as like the sun. Only universe - sized and invisible. And as to intelligence, perhaps something to be understood in terms of physics and quantumn mechanics. And, like the sun, addressing prayers to it - well, if it makes you feel good, but the sun will do what it does and doesn't much care whether we worship it or not.

It follows that any pressure..shall we say..on those who do not share a particular belief is unacceptable. The differing reports about god are confusing, the problem of the apparent lack of intervention is bewildering. The threat of hell does not endear one to the god-concept.

Anyway, welcome to board and thanks for an interesting post. Keep talking.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 06-23-2009 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: Really needed to add a bit more.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM

4,325 posts, read 5,491,057 times
I'm a minister for The Foundation Church of Divine Truth. Our beliefs are based on Divine Love. We believe that Divine Love is what saves a man from sin because it works from the inside out. It first works on your sins and then it works on the inclination to sin. It's the only thing that we adhere to. We let others think for themselves and we do not judge anyone. Once this Love is in your soul, you cannot get rid of it because it comes directly from God as it's not something you are born with like natural love. Asking in all honesty and ernestly is the way to attain it. Church is not required at all although some go to the unitarian church's. God is within and not in any building or book.

We do not believe in eternal damnation or the devil. We believe everyone is the same although our personalities and individualization are different. We believe all will eventually be either in the natural love heavens or the Celestial Heavens and that hell, the place of correction, (darkness) will cease to exist.

You can check it out here www.new-birth.net or www.fcdt.org
Have an open mind and a willingness to learn about someone elses beliefs without feeling like you have to follow. If it's not for you then move on or stick around and see if it's something you may want to learn more of.
On top of my Divine Love beliefs, I have found that there are other sources of truth that I adhere to. None are based on religion. They are all about Love.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:04 AM

4,528 posts, read 4,017,523 times
My investigations into beliefs have led me a very strange path and I am in a position now where I am very comfortable with my belief system. It may change later, but that is OK for me.

I feel that there is overwhelming evidence that we are not alone - either on this earth or in the universe (all dimensions of it). I think that there are beings who can move across time and space and these are what explains all of the strange phenomena that we humans experience. These beings and their advanced technologies that are beyond our current level of understanding would also explain miracles, ghosts, yeti, and everything else you as a human happen to need to explain. I think that the ones that are here are after something that we have - probably DNA, as this would account for the reports of genetic sampling and engineering.

Understanding what motivates some of our leaders, politicians, and corporate types, I also think that there is too much evidence to be ignored that some humans are actively in contact with some of these beings and also use their technologies for their own ends. Ends that are not necessarily for the benefit of mankind in general.

Having said all that, this does not address the question of whether there is a God or not. In some respects, I feel that these beings are the God(s) of our ancestors and anything our ancestors did not understand was attributed to "God". This is how the 'myth' of God has arisen down the ages. Personally, I do believe there is some force that has created us. Not as humans but as multi-dimensional beings that have chosen to place parts of themselves in this corner of the universe to help out as a humanitarian effort of love.

Help what? you may ask. Well, I think that our part of the universe has certain deformed characteristics that when you are born you have to take on these deformed characteristics in order to be able to exist here. The life-force comes from your multi-dimensional being that is really you and is 'installed' into the human baby after a period of time after conception. This deformation is what we, as God-created multi-dimensional beings, are trying to heal. The deformations have caused us to forget where we come from and what we are capable of as God-created multi-dimensional beings. The long-term aim is to try to heal the distortions in the planet and in the people so that we all have an unobstructed passage way in and out of this area of the universe.

This is just my strange perspective of God.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:12 PM

3,544 posts, read 6,285,807 times
HHtoFL,

Looks to me, you already have a faith that works.

Keep going with it, and see where it takes you.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:57 AM

113 posts, read 602,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
HHtoFL,

Looks to me, you already have a faith that works.

Keep going with it, and see where it takes you.

I feel the same way too. But trying to put a name on this kind of thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality