Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,090,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
So wouldn't the books and myths that The Bible and Christ story was ripped off of really be the "right" and "real" religions?

I'm not aware of any such books and myths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:05 PM

40,048 posts, read 34,705,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraval View Post
I'm curious to know from all of you, what makes you think your religion is the right religion?
To respond to your question: I'm Jewish, and I don't think of my religion is the "right" one. It happens to be mine--but I don't go around insisting that everyone else adopt it or be consigned to hell for eternity. Nor do I fault anyone else for practicing any other religion, or none at all.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 PM

4,510 posts, read 7,538,824 times
dear op,

i sincerely wish you the opportunity to travel outside your narrow confines anytime soon.

that should answer and take care of your question, and the interrogative style nowhere else being practiced among "christians".

imho.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,804,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Ah, then you haven't been paying attention, either here on these forums (where I have mentioned a few of them in various threads) and/or you've never taken any serious unbiased history classes (no surprises there).

Of course, I acknowledge that as a Xian you are well programmed to ignore any such factual evidence that sheds negative light on your cult and its book's origins.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,583,228 times
Religion is manmade by man, for man based on the bible verses he chooses to apply his religion to..I dropped out of religion when I finally realized that mans religions and traditions were not bringing me any peace in knowing God/creator..I have become closer to Him through His Spirit that is alive and well within me and is my guide and teacher now..I am finally at peace with my faith and beliefs and do not belittle others for their faith and beliefs that are different from mine..I believe that we are uniquely created to have the desire to seek His presence in our lives..We may choose different paths, but I truly believe, if we are willing, He will travel that path with us and lead us to the Father/Creator

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-24-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 08:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,729,486 times
Here! Here! Miss Blue. "religion is made by man"

Was thinking the same thing when I read the original post.

Only God is right. Us humans can split hairs until the cows come home. But in the end...it doesn't matter if you believe certain things or not. The truth is the truth and it doesn't change just because someone chooses NOT to believe in it.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,752,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraval View Post
I was born into a Catholic family but two or so years into my life, my parents converted to Seventh Day Adventists and that is how I was raised. I stopped going to church when I turned 18 because it became more of a choice then. I look at my parents and I absolutely marvel at their faith. I have met so many people like my parents but a lot of them belong to different faiths and different churches. With so many different thoughts and ideas on God and everything related, I'm curious to know from all of you, what makes you think your religion is the right religion?
Children believe what they are told.
The heavier the hand of the controller the more that child is controlled.
The more convoluted the dogma, the more difficult it is to extricate oneself form it.
Exceptional children (free spirits if you will) will have enough sense of inner self/truth and will not succumb.
"God bless the child who has his own"
Sometimes (and sadly, not often enough), when a child who has been force fed lies (of a religious nature or other) reaches adolescence, he/she will begin to question the authorities, ie; the authors of the lie(s).
If the young adult is hell bent on freedom he/she will begin to seek his/her own personal truth.
Or, if he/she is not sufficiently motivated to seek "truth" (whatever that is), he/she will simply react and, as i see it, this is often when the so-called atheist is born.
I'm not dissing atheists (what is an atheist? a materialist? one who believes only in the reasoning aspect of mind? i dunno) but it seems to me that they are often folks who have been indoctrinated (to some degree) and, instead of deeply searching, they just flip to the other side of the coin.
It's similar to the kid in the bible belt (u.s.a.) who finds an attraction to the satanical (and no, i am not likening atheism to satanism).
It (satanical intrigue) is reactive and it's angry and rightly so but it's not a solution.
What is the solution? Believe nothing!!! Direct experience is the antidote ... it's what counts.
In the mean time (and it can be mean) be kind, be loving, be tolerant, be open, be yourself, be as free as you can be in this hyper controlled and controlling world and be patient.
That's, in part, how i see it.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 06-24-2009 at 09:24 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 PM

491 posts, read 927,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Here! Here! Miss Blue. "religion is made by man"

Was thinking the same thing when I read the original post.

Only God is right. Us humans can split hairs until the cows come home. But in the end...it doesn't matter if you believe certain things or not. The truth is the truth and it doesn't change just because someone chooses NOT to believe in it.
Yes. And I will also add that religion does not hold the key to that truth.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,405,075 times
I don't believe that my religion is the "right one" per se. I believe it is the right one for me. It gives me what I need. It may not give others what they need. The key is to find the one that is the best fit for the individual.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,752,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Zeitgeist, The Movie - Remastered / Final Edition
watch (if you dare) the first part (and then all of it if you're inspired) of the on-line film "zeitgeist" to understand the myth(s).
it doesn't have to mean for you that jesus didn't walk the earth or that christ is not a real phenomena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality