Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 AM

103 posts, read 305,058 times

Advertisements

I was born into a Catholic family but two or so years into my life, my parents converted to Seventh Day Adventists and that is how I was raised. I stopped going to church when I turned 18 because it became more of a choice then. I look at my parents and I absolutely marvel at their faith. I have met so many people like my parents but a lot of them belong to different faiths and different churches. With so many different thoughts and ideas on God and everything related, I'm curious to know from all of you, what makes you think your religion is the right religion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:56 AM

491 posts, read 926,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraval View Post
I was born into a Catholic family but two or so years into my life, my parents converted to Seventh Day Adventists and that is how I was raised. I stopped going to church when I turned 18 because it became more of a choice then. I look at my parents and I absolutely marvel at their faith. I have met so many people like my parents but a lot of them belong to different faiths and different churches. With so many different thoughts and ideas on God and everything related, I'm curious to know from all of you, what makes you think your religion is the right religion?
Arrogance and ignorance... but proponents will dress it up under the umbrella term, "faith."

Old 06-24-2009, 12:02 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,930 times
In my discoveries, I found that although there are truths in all religions, none of them hold 100% truths.
In my own beliefs, I have found that Divine Love is true because I have felt it enter my soul. Other than that, I don't need to believe in anything else.
All religions must change with the times and not hold fast to the past as that is something that has already happened. We can learn from it but if we adhere to it, it will stagnate our progress.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 PM

491 posts, read 926,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
In my discoveries, I found that although there are truths in all religions, none of them hold 100% truths.
In my own beliefs, I have found that Divine Love is true because I have felt it enter my soul. Other than that, I don't need to believe in anything else.
All religions must change with the times and not hold fast to the past as that is something that has already happened. We can learn from it but if we adhere to it, it will stagnate our progress.
I concur with this post.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,609 times
This is an excerpt from the post "to call Jesus the only begotten Son means" that I wrote.

"As I said, I was raised in St. Paul's orphanage. I was one out of 5 children who's mother's name was Mary. I am named after my Father. I am a Roman Catholic and my name is Roman. I had the same identical experience twice. Time frame would be equal to the first gulf war and the second gulf war. I was taken to a place where, My Mother was holding my left hand and a man in a white robe, holding my right hand, who I knew to be very powerful, but yet, I did not fear him. I could only see a shadow of him. When I looked back to see where it is that I came from, I was told: Don't look back, Don't be afraid, and these are the things to come. And after walking through time and before My Mother and Father drew away from my experience, I was told; On this day, I have begotten you, My Son. And, thou art a priest forever according to the Melchisedech Order. I have been talking to my church and the people I live around. And they are surprised at my words and my actions for they are always in the Light of Truth."

Last edited by Lionpainter; 06-24-2009 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 12:48 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teraval View Post

Because it is.

I was raised catholic as well. I'd be happy to discuss the issues of the catholic church..but I don't think that's appropriate on this thread.

I believe the Bible, and I think Christianity, and in particular my Evangelical church, is correct according to it.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:58 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Because it is.

I was raised catholic as well. I'd be happy to discuss the issues of the catholic church..but I don't think that's appropriate on this thread.

I believe the Bible, and I think Christianity, and in particular my Evangelical church, is correct according to it.
The question was "Why do you think your religion is the right one". "Because it is" doesn't quite cut it. Try "Because my pastor says so".....

Old 06-24-2009, 01:24 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,072,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The question was "Why do you think your religion is the right one". "Because it is" doesn't quite cut it. Try "Because my pastor says so".....

Nope...it's not because my pastor says so. It's because the Bible is right, and Christianity is real.

Why do you believe in whatever you believe in?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:39 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Something like "because it is" is sufficient for any believer, and anyone else who doesn't question things.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,800,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Nope...it's not because my pastor says so. It's because the Bible is right, and Christianity is real.
So wouldn't the books and myths that The Bible and Christ story was ripped off of really be the "right" and "real" religions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality