Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:08 PM

147 posts, read 313,265 times

Advertisements

Recently a friend asked me to visit the Church she regularly attended. As usual I was it was brought to their attention that it was my fist time there in addition to being a former believer.

During such events I'm presented with the familiar phrases: "Just let him into your heart", "Do not fight him", etc.

I explain that "My search for the truth is ongoing. When I find it I will follow it. But the following does not prove the truth: What my parents told me, what I hope to be true, and what grasp at in a time of desperation."

I suppose the point of this post is how is "I accepted him at a time of weakness/desperation" a valid reason? It seems that most individuals who have witnessed to me were to type who fell into that category. Don't most people who are desperate reach for whatever they feel will fulfill them?

Also has anyone actually come to a belief theist/atheist by using reason and logic?

"It is because it is" and "The bible says so" is not an answer. If that is your response... take a moment to elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:16 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,588,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajeck View Post
Recently a friend asked me to visit the Church she regularly attended. As usual I was it was brought to their attention that it was my fist time there in addition to being a former believer.

During such events I'm presented with the familiar phrases: "Just let him into your heart", "Do not fight him", etc.

I explain that "My search for the truth is ongoing. When I find it I will follow it. But the following does not prove the truth: What my parents told me, what I hope to be true, and what grasp at in a time of desperation."

I suppose the point of this post is how is "I accepted him at a time of weakness/desperation" a valid reason? It seems that most individuals who have witnessed to me were to type who fell into that category. Don't most people who are desperate reach for whatever they feel will fulfill them?

Also has anyone actually come to a belief theist/atheist by using reason and logic?

"It is because it is" and "The bible says so" is not an answer. If that is your response... take a moment to elaborate.
I agree with you, the seeker sensitives call it (man I can't remember) but they try to manipulate your feelings by the music, the chanting; create an emotional atmosphere unfortunately it is superficial and only creates false converts.

I once heard Rick Warren say, "and if you find a persons "hot-button" you can lead anyone to Christ". So much for salvation belonging to the LORD.

There should be logic and intelligence in our faith as well

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 06-24-2009 at 03:43 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 03:37 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,208,279 times
Quote:
please move this into the main forum.
C'mon, we can do better than that.

It's fine to say the "sinner's prayer" (which can come in many forms) but the key is what happens afterward. I believe God knows every man's condition and time for harvesting, and many just want that notch in their belt so badly that they drag people in without actually listening...that's another thread.

Many that do commit themselves actually don't, and when the harness of the Lord (the cross) is laid upon them, they realize they don't want it after all. He is an offense, and a stumbling block for most until they truly are prepared - and that is key - He prepares those when it is truly time for His coming.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,958,586 times
Quote:

Whether you accept it or not, you are in a pretty desperate situation, insomuch as the wrath of God abides on you. Your only hope is the blood of Jesus to wash your curse of death away.

All ungodliness, which includes any willful sin, will be shut out of God's sight, for He is holy.

(Habakkuk 1:13) Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: ...

(Isaiah 35:8) And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it ...

Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,408,688 times
Yes. I came to my theist/athiest belief through reason and logic. Not to mention actually picking up the bible and reading it for myself. When I reaized that it did not make sense I started to come to my senses.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:14 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,588,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Yes. I came to my theist/athiest belief through reason and logic. Not to mention actually picking up the bible and reading it for myself. When I reaized that it did not make sense I started to come to my senses.
but the whole world and the universe coming into existence out of nothing; not even darkness creating on it's own laws of physics, gravity etc...created order, design, precision makes total logical sense?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:08 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,408,688 times
Fundy...I wasn't talking about evolution, big bang, creationism etc...I am saying that the BIBLE doesn't make any sense. No the big bang makes no sense, creation by a "self existant being" makes no sense either to me. Hey at least I can admit it!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:11 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,375,203 times
Quote:
Fundy...I wasn't talking about evolution, big bang, creationism etc...I am saying that the BIBLE doesn't make any sense. No the big bang makes no sense, creation by a "self existant being" makes no sense either to me. Hey at least I can admit it!
Yes at least you are honest

Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Whether you accept it or not, you are in a pretty desperate situation, insomuch as the wrath of God abides on you. Your only hope is the blood of Jesus to wash your curse of death away.

All ungodliness, which includes any willful sin, will be shut out of God's sight, for He is holy.

(Habakkuk 1:13) Thou art of purer eyes than to behold evil, and canst not look on iniquity: ...

(Isaiah 35:8) And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it ...

Quoting scripture to those who do not believe or have no reason to believe has no effect on changing their mind. Especially if one has read the entire bible and still does not feel compelled to accept it as truth. Its like saying to someone "All of those who do not own blue foxes will go to Hell"

Old 06-24-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Yah that is where I feel I am now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality