Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:34 PM

71 posts, read 112,135 times

Advertisements

I would love if someone could answer these questions for me

1. Does the Human Genome project list all of the mutations that led to us how we are now?

2. Could someone explain in detail about the mitochondrial eve. I saw a few people trying to explain it in kdbrich thread but im still kinda confused about it. Would love it if someone can explain it to me in detail.

3. Are we not the result of incest? Kinda confused because at one point in time, didn't family members have to have sex with eachother??(hope that question makes sense)

Would love for someone to explain these questions to me in further detail!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adryan View Post

1. Does the Human Genome project list all of the mutations that led to us how we are now?
As far as I know, the HGP is a 'map' of the 'current' human genetic code. We don't know what all the genes do, but thanks to the HGP we now have a general idea of what each gene consists of and how it works chemically.

Quote:
2. Could someone explain in detail about the mitochondrial eve. I saw a few people trying to explain it in kdbrich thread but im still kinda confused about it. Would love it if someone can explain it to me in detail.
I can't go into great detail (primarily because I don't know a lot about it), but here it is in a nutshell:

Mitochondria are, in essence, a record of our 'dormant' DNA and RNA from pretty much the beginning of human evolution.

'Mitochondria Eve' is the genetic 'Matrilineal Most Recent Common Ancestor' (MCRA) for all modern humans. Since mitochondria are passed matrilineally, it's simply a matter of tracing backwards until you reach 'Mitochondrial Eve'. It's the same for all of humanity, back to the dawn of homo sapiens sapiens*

*No, that's not a typo -- it's an extremely short form of our 'actual' (much longer) species name. It means 'Wise wise man' (which is both redundant and ironic).

Quote:
3. Are we not the result of incest? Kinda confused because at one point in time, didn't family members have to have sex with eachother??(hope that question makes sense)
That, I'm afraid, I'm not qualified to answer -- though, if we ever find a 'Mitochondrial Eve', it may help to explain that part of the 'human story'.

Last edited by FredNotBob; 06-29-2009 at 01:01 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 05:52 PM

307 posts, read 479,452 times
I am not a scientist, and could not even begin to answer your questions. Incest is a relatively modern word.
My belief is that humans were in a greater state both mentally and physically than their descendants. The bible says that Adam was a perfect man, and likewise, Eve. How else could they have procreated than by marrying one another?

This seems a thousand times more plausible explanation for our existence, and all the wonder it entails than an 'amoeba soup' theory.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:48 PM

131 posts, read 214,589 times
Quote:

Would love for someone to explain these questions to me in further detail!!
1. No
2. Google
3. Yes, incest happens everyday, sorry if you don't like that, I have problems with it too, but it happens, and it did happen, and it will happen, in all species.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
I am not a scientist,
Clearly.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

I really don't understand the question. All the mutations that led to us? Mutations starting from what point? And who is us?

2. Could someone explain in detail about the mitochondrial eve.

NOVA Online | Neanderthals on Trial | Tracing Ancestry with MtDNA

3. Are we not the result of incest?

No matter how you cut it (intelligent design, the book of Genesis or evolution, at some point the only way for the species to have developed would have been through interbreeding.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:24 AM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I am not a scientist, and could not even begin to answer your questions. Incest is a relatively modern word.
My belief is that humans were in a greater state both mentally and physically than their descendants. The bible says that Adam was a perfect man, and likewise, Eve. How else could they have procreated than by marrying one another?

This seems a thousand times more plausible explanation for our existence, and all the wonder it entails than an 'amoeba soup' theory.
No it's not. The human race would have died out very quickly if that were true...One pair is not enough to establish a population of any kind, not humans or any of the animals god supposedly created pairs of. The earth would be devoid of life if the creation myth were true.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:35 AM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

I really don't understand the question. All the mutations that led to us? Mutations starting from what point? And who is us?

2. Could someone explain in detail about the mitochondrial eve.

NOVA Online | Neanderthals on Trial | Tracing Ancestry with MtDNA

3. Are we not the result of incest?

No matter how you cut it (intelligent design, the book of Genesis or evolution, at some point the only way for the species to have developed would have been through interbreeding.
Your last statement is not true. That's not the way evolution works. Evolution occurs over populations.

If population A is comprised of 20,000 individuals. Something happens, and that population splits into two daughter populations - Pop. B and C, each with around 10,000 individuals. These two populations, if they do not interbreed, will continue to evolve in divergent pathways. Population B could be the ancestors of humanity, while Population C could be the ancestors of chimpanzees.

No inbreeding required.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:22 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
I'm not the best versed on this but I do have a bit of background knowledge.

First off, we all know what a cell is:

Every single one of us have billions of cells and these cells each have the equivalent to organs(organelles) which allow the cell to create proteins, replicate themselves and even self destruct if necessary.

A very important organelle is the Mitochondria/Mitochondrion which creates most of the energy the cell uses by making ATP(energy dollars) from respiration. As you can imagine, pretty much every eukaryotic cell has them and cells which use a lot of energy like the ones our livers or our eyes have a lot of them.

When it comes to eggs and sperms, they each carry half of the chromosomes(23) that makes a person(46). If you received 2 X chromosomes, then one came from your dad and one from your mom. For example. If you have a child, then there is a 50/50 chance that their/one of their X chromosomes came from the grandparent or the grandmother. With all the genes, it becomes really hard to trace back people's lineage on genetics alone because there really isn't a sure fire way to tell where each gene came from.

But Mitochondria has a very unusual property: It has it's own DNA which is different that what you find at the nucleus of the cell it is in.

Now, we don't inherit mitochondria from our parent's, the mitochondria in sperms is thrown out along with the entire tail of the sperm as soon as it penetrates the egg. We exclusively inherit mitochondria from the egg which means that the DNA in our mitochondria could only have been passed inherited from our moms and their could only have been inherited by their moms and so on and so forth until thousands of generations back. Because of this simple fact, we can trace back our entire lineage to a single ancestor(mithochondrial eve).

I'm not sure why some people think she was the only human female to ever live though. She wasn't, mithochondrial eve just means that she is the person all of us get our mitochondrial DNA from.

Edit: that's my understanding of it anyways.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
The bible says that Adam was a perfect man, and likewise, Eve. How else could they have procreated than by marrying one another?
If they were perfect, they wouldn't have fallen from grace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality