Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 03:43 AM

4,510 posts, read 7,536,913 times

Advertisements

modern psychology has made the perfect analysis and analogy of this particular ancient record.

the milgram experiment has also been carried out under the name abraham experiment (in germany, during the 1960's).

it's about "cadaver gehorsam"; \!! -------- blind faith vs. good reason!

here is another link to stanley milgram:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

the ingenuity used to avoid and/or circumvent the issue is astounding. imho.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 07-04-2009 at 03:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 06:10 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,803,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
God does not think like us,,,get used to it!
Indeed. Reading The Bible it is hard to imagine your god doing much thinking at all..

As a mere human, I certainly could plan and accomplish things much more intelligently and efficiently than he, and would even moreso if I were a deity.

(For starters, I wouldn't allow talking snakes in the Garden of Eden... )

Old 07-04-2009, 06:56 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,320,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Translation is always awkward.

When Arthur Dent heard the 'Hitch Hiker's Guide to the galaxy' speak of Orlon Kolluphid's books 'Where god went wrong, 'more of god's greatest mistakes' and 'who is this god-person, anyway?' The babel-fish could do no more than translate into 'God' the deity Froongrow-gridpkk whose first creation was such a mess that he had to destroy it and start all over again. Obviously nothing like ours.

However, my writing about Job did remind me that it was odd that God allowed Satan to manipulate him into subjecting his most deserving worshipper to a series of nasty evils culminating in the wiping out of his entire family.

God could do no better than to provide a lot of strangers as replacements afterwards and Job has to be satisfied with the loss of his actual relatives. may not actually have disowned God but overall it was a win on points for Satan.

But that's not a real event of course. It is just a parable or metaphor to explain evil; which it doesn't of course. But Abraham supposedly isn't a metaphor. and mark this:

Genesis 18:20-33 (New International Version)
20 Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
22 The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the LORD. [a] 23 Then Abraham approached him and said: "Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare [b] the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? 25 Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge [c] of all the earth do right?"
26 The LORD said, "If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake."
27 Then Abraham spoke up again: "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, 28 what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city because of five people?"
"If I find forty-five there," he said, "I will not destroy it."
29 Once again he spoke to him, "What if only forty are found there?"
He said, "For the sake of forty, I will not do it."
30 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?"
He answered, "I will not do it if I find thirty there."
31 Abraham said, "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?"
He said, "For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it."
32 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?"
He answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it."
33 When the LORD had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home.

Abraham bamboozled his God with a pretty simple rhetorical trick,which God would never have fallen for if he'd a modicum of logic.

But it seems, He's pretty stupid, really.

May I take this opportunity of thanking all those who enhanced my street cred and posted me nice comments, and to our visiting Theists who are giving me something to gnaw on. Thanks, all you guys and guyesses.
God is not stupid only humans can live up to that word.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:39 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,412,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
The point of the book of Job?

God does not think like us,,,get used to it!
Yes god thinks like a blood thirsty evil killing machine who gets upset when he doesn't get his way. Yes some people think like that but most treat other humans WAY better than the god of the bible ever would!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:01 AM

50,115 posts, read 20,872,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
God is not stupid only humans can live up to that word.
Then explain how Abraham managed to bamboozle Him, please.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Then explain how Abraham managed to bamboozle Him, please.
My point exactly on how humans are only stupid, because I want you to explain how Abraham bamboozled God, because Abraham didn't.

When you explain how you think that Abraham bamboozled Him, your explanation will speak for what I was saying!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:51 AM

50,115 posts, read 20,872,061 times
Quote:
My point exactly on how humans are only stupid, because I want you to explain how Abraham bamboozled God, because Abraham didn't.

When you explain how you think that Abraham bamboozled Him, your explanation will speak for what I was saying!
That was the first post.

"...30 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?"
31 Abraham said, "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?"
32 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?"
33 When the LORD had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home.

Abraham bamboozled his God with a pretty simple rhetorical trick,which God would never have fallen for if he'd a modicum of logic."

Or so it seems to be. I don't see how that makes humans stupid or how Abraham didn't bambooze...oh, ok. Let's use other terms. Talk him out of doing what he intended to do.

I'm half expecting some explanation that God Intended Abraham to talk him out of it as he intended to spare Sodom anyway. except that he didn't. so it's all a bit puzzling unless one just shrugs ok - atheists shrug, too - and takes it as myth.

Stage is now yours.

Old 07-04-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
That was the first post.

"...30 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?"

Abraham bamboozled his God with a pretty simple rhetorical trick,which God would never have fallen for if he'd a modicum of logic."

Or so it seems to be. I don't see how that makes humans stupid or how Abraham didn't bambooze...oh, ok. Let's use other terms. Talk him out of doing what he intended to do.

I'm half expecting some explanation that God Intended Abraham to talk him out of it as he intended to spare Sodom anyway. except that he didn't. so it's all a bit puzzling unless one just shrugs ok - atheists shrug, too - and takes it as myth.

Stage is now yours.

LOL, a creation can never trick it's creator. The point of the matter is, God knew He was going to destroy the city, and did.

It amazes me people who quote scripture, and don't understand the very scripture that they are quoting.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 07-04-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-04-2009, 11:34 AM

4,510 posts, read 7,536,913 times
Quote:
LOL, a creation can never trick it's creator. The point of the matter is, God knew He was going to destroy the city, and did.

It amazes me people who quote scripture, and don't understand the very scripture that they are quoting.
equally amazing is your lolly onesidedness in claiming the understanding.

imho.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie g-tad View Post
equally amazing is your lolly onesidedness in claiming the understanding.

imho.
I understand the particular scripture and understand that a human can't twist God's arm if He is going to do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality