Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:25 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,803,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
LOL, the only people I see doing that is people who are trying to discredit scripture with no real understanding.

LOL yes, of course in your world "real understanding" = memorizing your playbook of apologetics BS

No, I understand the Bible quite a bit more than you and your ilk ever will, dear. It's a collection of myths and fairytales plagiarized off of earlier myths and fairytales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 08:38 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,903,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
LOL, a creation can never trick it's creator. The point of the matter is, God knew He was going to destroy the city, and did.

It amazes me people who quote scripture, and don't understand the very scripture that they are quoting.
Yeah, I see a good bit of that myself!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 10:20 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,801,623 times
I thought there is a separate forum for atheists

I bet noone reads it and it's boring. Point taken.

But does it mean you fellas have to come one level up begging for attention? And these are adults

Old 07-04-2009, 11:49 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,087,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Translation is always awkward.

When Arthur Dent heard the 'Hitch Hiker's Guide to the galaxy' speak of Orlon Kolluphid's books 'Where god went wrong, 'more of god's greatest mistakes' and 'who is this god-person, anyway?' The babel-fish could do no more than translate into 'God' the deity Froongrow-gridpkk whose first creation was such a mess that he had to destroy it and start all over again. Obviously nothing like ours.

However, my writing about Job did remind me that it was odd that God allowed Satan to manipulate him into subjecting his most deserving worshipper to a series of nasty evils culminating in the wiping out of his entire family.

God could do no better than to provide a lot of strangers as replacements afterwards and Job has to be satisfied with the loss of his actual relatives. may not actually have disowned God but overall it was a win on points for Satan.

But that's not a real event of course. It is just a parable or metaphor to explain evil; which it doesn't of course. But Abraham supposedly isn't a metaphor. and mark this:

Genesis 18:20-33 (New International Version)
20 Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous 21 that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."
22 The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the LORD. [a] 23 Then Abraham approached him and said: "Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? 24 What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare [b] the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? 25 Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge [c] of all the earth do right?"
26 The LORD said, "If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake."
27 Then Abraham spoke up again: "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, 28 what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city because of five people?"
"If I find forty-five there," he said, "I will not destroy it."
29 Once again he spoke to him, "What if only forty are found there?"
He said, "For the sake of forty, I will not do it."
30 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?"
He answered, "I will not do it if I find thirty there."
31 Abraham said, "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?"
He said, "For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it."
32 Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?"
He answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it."
33 When the LORD had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home.

Abraham bamboozled his God with a pretty simple rhetorical trick,which God would never have fallen for if he'd a modicum of logic.

But it seems, He's pretty stupid, really.

May I take this opportunity of thanking all those who enhanced my street cred and posted me nice comments, and to our visiting Theists who are giving me something to gnaw on. Thanks, all you guys and guyesses.

To be honest, I didn't care to read all of what you posted....but baed on the subject line....does that mean that you believe in God?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
To be honest, I didn't care to read all of what you posted....but baed on the subject line....does that mean that you believe in God?
I bet he's with the PPP faction. And that's not the Pakistan's People's Party

Old 07-05-2009, 12:22 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,059,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Seeing 60% of his post was scripture, I guess that proves you do not know your buybull

Old 07-05-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
I thought there is a separate forum for atheists

I bet noone reads it and it's boring. Point taken.

But does it mean you fellas have to come one level up begging for attention? And these are adults
So why are you not in the true christian(tm) subforum?

Old 07-05-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
So why are you not in the true christian(tm) subforum?
Slow down, Doctor Kirchoff

You do know why they bifurcate engineering into various domains, don't you?

Old 07-05-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Slow down, Doctor Kirchoff

You do know why they bifurcate engineering into various domains, don't you?
What is your point? You also have your own subforum. You do not "own" the R&P forum, hence you comments were moot or nonsensical.

A$$hat (If you can call me Dr Kirchoff, enjoy your new name)

Old 07-05-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
What is your point? You also have your own subforum. You do not "own" the R&P forum, hence you comments were moot or nonsensical.

A$$hat (If you can call me Dr Kirchoff, enjoy your new name)
You need to switch that circuit off, before we can discuss.

Last thing I need is electrocution.

Mea culpa, justyou58. I thought you knew Kirchoff's laws by heart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality