Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 01:25 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,059,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
You need to switch that circuit off, before we can discuss.
Discuss what? Most of your posts are baits and flames and add no substance to the discussion at hand just like this one
Quote:
Last thing I need is electrocution.

Mea culpa, justyou58. I thought you knew Kirchoff's laws by heart
You have issues dude - get help or get a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:29 AM

19,008 posts, read 29,805,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
Discuss what? Most of your posts are baits and flames and add no substance to the discussion at hand just like this one
Look who's talking

Nonetheless, I'll try and emulate your rep points

Old 07-05-2009, 02:18 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,508,759 times
The one who is stupid is you. The fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom.

Gods ways are not our ways. He is high above us all, the creator of all things. He has mercy on YOU and give you the Sun the Rain. But you fling all his good gifts back in his face and call him stupid. Your foolishness and error, your hasty words and mocking attitude - toward the mighty God - is breathtaking!! And really, really stupid.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,630,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
LOL yes, of course in your world "real understanding" = memorizing your playbook of apologetics BS

No, I understand the Bible quite a bit more than you and your ilk ever will, dear. It's a collection of myths and fairytales plagiarized off of earlier myths and fairytales.
So I take it you can read Koine Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic? Granted I can't, but Christian Biblical scholars for centuries have been able to do so. They'd class as our "ilk."

There will be similarities between mythos because myths tell us truths about ourselves and how we relate to ourselves, to nature, or each other. If the Bible had no similarities to other myths it'd be too particular or inscrutable.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:39 AM

50,120 posts, read 20,884,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
God was talking to Abraham not Will Smith
I love to write that way. It pricks the bubble of snobby sanctity that surrounds the Bible - thing and brings it down to earth. Then one cas see whether it sounds feasible when placed in a real-world context.

Quote:
And I do see what you mean. One that's more puzzling to me as an adult is the woman who touched Jesus's cloak and then Jesus asking around who touched him. As a kid I didn't see a problem with that, but as an adult it does seem odd Jesus would have to ask who touched his cloak. Being Jesus shouldn't he have known? It doesn't shake my faith, but I wouldn't mind a theory there.
You got it. It's the old Gospel problem of how much did Jesus know? On one hand, he's constantly warning the disciples in very specific terms about dying and being raised again so he knows what's going to happen, but other things he doesn't know about. Now, one can (the theist apologists do) argue that God let Jesus know what he had to know and kept from him what he needed to have kept from him. But that looks to me a bit like scriptwriting. There are other oddities like Jesus having to hide and sneak out of the temple (John 8.59) and of course, asking God to be let off crucifixion and God ignoring him. There are any amount of ways to look at that, but it does imply, for the Christian believer, that Jesus, once incarnated, though God, was somehow kept in the dark by himself.

It's the thing I discussed with Campbell34 about Did Jesus make everything? In a way, one could say that Jesus is God so must be the creator. In another (John indicates as much) it seems as though the man Jesus was a meat robot containing God. There seemed a sort of changing comprehension between the man -brain and the God-brain.

As to the woman. I believe that only occurs in one Gospel. I'd guess that was Luke. let's check with the ol' online Bible...
Mark 5.30 after returning acros the lake Gadara and before healing the daughter of Jairus.
Luke 8.45 pretty much the same. And using the same form of words, note.
But it doesn't appear in Matthew, oddly. And of course, not in John.

Not significant in itself, but puzzling that Matthew didn't think that worth mentioning. So my theory is it's a made - up story, but I can't expect that to be taken without doing lot more to show evidence for that. Which I can.

Quote:
Anyway back to this case. Doing it this way Abraham got to be a more active participant in the conversation. God's not changing his mind really he's just answering questions. The way you describe it'd all be very one way. God would just be telling Abraham stuff with Abraham sort-of nodding.
Sorry, can't buy that, for reasons already given. It is attempting to dismiss an evident negotiation about something which an all-knowing prescient god would already know. And reading on just shows that God, after signing a peace agreement, send the tanks in next day. Even if one talks of free will in a divinely precient Matrix, it is an unedifying display by God.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
To be honest, I didn't care to read all of what you posted....but baed on the subject line....does that mean that you believe in God?
If you are going to discuss, discuss sensibly. Making silly cracks like that just makes you look cheap.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
I thought there is a separate forum for atheists

I bet noone reads it and it's boring. Point taken.

But does it mean you fellas have to come one level up begging for attention? And these are adults
You have a point here, and I have to aologize. I got mixed up and posted in the Religion thread when I thought I was in the Atheism thread.

You also have a point about the Atheism thread being boring. Atheism isn't very interesting, being the lack of belief in any god...what's so interesting about that? Isn't that as sad as those societies of people that meet to say how much they never watch any film with Sylvester Stallone in?

Yes, religion is so much more interesting that atheism. Just as James Bond is more interesting than Howard Taft. But Taft was real.

If any moderator feels that any of my posts are inappropriate to the religion thread and wants to move them, I have no objection. If not, then they can stay here and you theists will have to deal with it.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:56 AM

4,510 posts, read 7,536,913 times
^
to op's "assertion", implied or not:

god can certainly be made to look very stupid.
but is that what god needs to be?

is that what i need any op or other poster here to question?

thank you all very much for keeping me in such "wonderful" suspense.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Look who's talking

Nonetheless, I'll try and emulate your rep points
Awww, how sweet, compare rep points - how mature and you said:

Quote:
But does it mean you fellas have to come one level up begging for attention? And these are adults
Insert foot in mouth smiley here.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
The one who is stupid is you. The fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom.

Gods ways are not our ways. He is high above us all, the creator of all things. He has mercy on YOU and give you the Sun the Rain. But you fling all his good gifts back in his face and call him stupid. Your foolishness and error, your hasty words and mocking attitude - toward the mighty God - is breathtaking!! And really, really stupid.
That of course assumes your gawd exists in the first place. Next time you talk to him, tell him, he owes me $300k (or more) for the $30k I was conned out of by one of his shepherds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality