Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 05:05 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by victorianpunk When it comes to love I only differentiate between 2 types of people;
1. People who love others as much as they love themselves.
2. People who only love themselves.

The 1st type would never rape another person and the 2nd type would have no problem with it.
The 1st type generally would also have no problem with believing in a god.
While the 2nd type certainly would question God's (read; love's) existence.
Being as random as it was, I'm really not sure about this post. Are you implying that those who question an existence of a deity is also more likely to commit violent crimes against humanity? If that is your thesis, you might want to do a bit more research, especially here in the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 05:11 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF
Quote:
Are you implying that those who question an existence of a deity is also more likely to commit violent crimes against humanity?
No because many people who claim to be religious do not see God (or love) the way I do.
I mean there are many people who only love themselves yet still claim to be following Jesus.
They mostly rationalise their actions by claiming that they are doing God's will.
After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
There are two kinds of love. Natural love we are born with and Divine Love which is God's substance.
The natural loves changes and thats why it fails. This love is the sand and when it collapses, everything around it will fall.
Divine Love never changes and is the rock that Jesus spoke of in the bible. Nothing can move it and the foundation will last throughout all eternity.
Searches for his hip waders as the tide of... rises.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
All I can say is that I really pitty you. To live without GOD must be a terrible thing.
Actually it is quite easy, and more than satisfying.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Love (I am referring to the Romantic kind) is something that I am 90% sure does not really exists. Yes, indeed, there are chemical reactions in the brain that happen when someone has an experience with a "loved one", but that is mating, not love.
Back when I was in Catholic school, Father Atwood outlined the difference between love and lust (even outside of the context of God) it's too bad you've never experienced the former.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:53 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wow, You must have poor comprehension skills. Most atheist responses did not say love is not real, nor did they say that we reject all intangibles...We just reject your God, Satan, soul, eternal life type of intangibles......I guess you just want to impress us with your own analysis regardless of what we say.
"I have loved and lost, and I have been exposed to religion/god and rejected it." deepcynic (One for love, but not God)

"I'm fine with there not being such a thing as love" GCSTroop (One saying love might not be real, granted possible sarcasm)

"This I believe speaks of romantic love. It's a wonderful feeling....Too bad it's temporary." sanspeur (Love real, lasting love not)

"I would actually agree that there is no such thing as love." Puddy4Lyf (One clear nay on love)

"it is all a very interesting subject that should be looked at medically and rationally except that so many people regard it as dangerous and slighly blasphemous to do so, in case it destroys their illusions that 'love' is something 'real' instead of being a cultural myth, like 'luck', 'destiny', or 'fate'." arequipa (seems to be a nay on love as real)

Then my post.

So two unreals, two reals, and one potentially agnostic. One of the "reals" yours, rejects the idea of lasting love. So possibly "most" is unfair, but estimating it at 60-80% (at the point I posted) isn't too unreasonable. Perhaps I should've said "majority" instead of "most" at that point.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
"I have loved and lost, and I have been exposed to religion/god and rejected it." deepcynic (One for love, but not God)

"I'm fine with there not being such a thing as love" GCSTroop (One saying love might not be real, granted possible sarcasm)

"This I believe speaks of romantic love. It's a wonderful feeling....Too bad it's temporary." sanspeur (Love real, lasting love not)

"I would actually agree that there is no such thing as love." Puddy4Lyf (One clear nay on love)

"it is all a very interesting subject that should be looked at medically and rationally except that so many people regard it as dangerous and slighly blasphemous to do so, in case it destroys their illusions that 'love' is something 'real' instead of being a cultural myth, like 'luck', 'destiny', or 'fate'." arequipa (seems to be a nay on love as real)

Then my post.

So two unreals, two reals, and one potentially agnostic. One of the "reals" yours, rejects the idea of lasting love. So possibly "most" is unfair, but estimating it at 60-80% (at the point I posted) isn't too unreasonable. Perhaps I should've said "majority" instead of "most" at that point.
Perhaps you should have read my post more slowly. I did not say that love was not real, but was attempting to express why romantic love and genuine love are not the same.

Last edited by sanspeur; 07-18-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-18-2009, 08:02 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
Quote:
Ohh, so one is not suppose to "love one's wife" and give her gifts? Or love one's spouse and "be there for them"?
Wow, victorianpunk, this is the first time that you are being kind of close-minded and predetermined about an issue. It's kind of surprising.

But anyway, love doesn't force one to give a wife gifts or "be there." One might feel propelled to do so from what they feel, but feelings cannot force anyone to do anything.

Like today at Walmart, our neighborhood football team was raising money and I felt propelled to give to them. My feelings didn't force me to do so. Simply, I acted on them because I wanted to do so. There is a huge, fundamental difference between force and want my friend.

Quote:
Indeed, but people act like it does. Sacrificing all of those things to another person who is just as flawed as they are.
That's subjective and an eye of the beholder type thing. Surely, you are not saying romantic love is the same for everybody? That's quite absurd and arrogant of you victorian, especially since you haven't experienced such a feeling.

Quote:
Also, ask anyone who survived an abusive relationship: The abuser often considers himself/herself to be "all powerful" and "all knowing"
As I'm sure you very well know, romantic love can be perverted in many types of ways. Just as a child molester can feel "romantic love" for children, Abusers and the abused find themselves in a perverted form of love. I have known people who have had the crap beat out of them and still went back to their spouse for more. Spousal abuse is similar to child abuse. If you ingrain in someone's head long enough that they are ugly, worthless without you, and that you are beating them because you love them, they'll eventually start to believe it.

The human psyche is an amazing thing victorian, you should read up on it sometimes. That is one of the single most reasons why it is so hard for people to get out of abuse relationships and why the effects of them are so damaging and long term.

Quote:
Are you kidding? "To have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part."

Is it just me, or DOES THAT SOUND LIKE SOME VERY STERN RULES?

Marriage vows are not promises. Yahh, okay...

Victorianpunk, are you kidding me? Do you think that everybody on this planet uses those vows? What about the people that don't ever get married but are together their entire lives or married couples who use different vows? Are they too bound by these "rules"? Your argument is falling apart at the seams my friend. You are taking a predetermined set of things that you believe romantic love are to be and are extrapolating them onto everybody. I know you are better than that and simply cannot be that close-minded; I still have faith in your intelligence (please show us otherwise).

Old 07-18-2009, 08:17 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Perhaps you should have read my post more slowly. I did not say that love was not real, but was attempting to express why romantic love and genuine love are not the same.
Fine, but I did list yours among the reals. Taking yours out as even as a possibility we get 40-60%. (If the GCSTroop one counts as a nay it's 60% if not a 40%) So "majority" was still plausible, sorry. I concede I was wrong on "most", "possible majority" would've been better.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:34 PM

71 posts, read 108,382 times
It's in our nature to love. I've met plenty of folks who claim knowledge of God and who are most unloving. Which imo proves they have no knowledge of their invisible deity of righteous love.

and then I've met a few special people who claim no special knowledge of God, and they seem to know the most about genuine love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality