Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,203,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
You guys really don't agree with #4? That's were our weekends come from.

Our weekends off don't come from religion. They come from the early Labor laws. The fact that the days off are Saturday and Sunday may spring from that. But frankly, as someone who spent much of her adult life working in hospitals, I can say it honestly doesn't matter whether my days off are Saturday and Sunday or Wednesday and Thursday, as long as I get them.

Quote:
Saturday is for the Jews, Sunday is for the Christians. If there's a religion that worships on friday lets get that thrown in there too.
BTW. The 10 commandments are OT and strictly for the Jews. The NT sums them all up with 2 things ( paraphrasing) believe in God and be good to others.
Mmmm...okay, then why is it always Rev. Bobby-Earl making a fuss in the news about wanting the Big Ten posted at the Courthouse, and not Rabbi Moishe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 01:05 PM

895 posts, read 2,367,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdonekings View Post
I just had a thought that if we humans all agree with the 10 commandments on moral grounds then we prove that the bible is the word of God and Moses truly was a messenger of God I can't disagree with none of them let me hear your thoughts.

10 Commandment List

1. You shall have no other gods before me.
  2. You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
  3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
  4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
  5. Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
  6. You shall not murder.
  7. You shall not commit adultery.
  8. You shall not steal.
  9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
  10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s."
I am japanese and don't get my morals from the "bible". Japan has the lowest crime rate in the developed world and is atheist.

Now to your commandments, many of them are not about morals but about how god is a jealous god. The first 4 don't matter to me.

#5 agree about honoring, not the rest
#6 Agree
#7 depends but agree in general
#8 agree
#10 agree for the most part.

Why didnt he put stuff about rape, slavery, racism etc? Seems a pretty bad place to base your morals off of. I would have thought god would have had the foresight to put those things in the "10 commandments". All societies on the planet have come to the same conclusions about no murdering etc. You don't need commandments for that. Even animals dont randomly murder members of their family and in general species because it will decrease the likelyhood of the survival of their species. Do animals get morals from the bible? Do mothers in the animal kingdom die for their babies instead of eating them like the mindless animals do they get that from the bible?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Here's some crazy christian morals.

Leviticus 20:10 If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall be put to death.
Leviticus 20:11 The man who lies with his father's wife has uncovered his father's nakedness; both of them shall be put to death; their blood is upon them.
Leviticus 20:12 If a man lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall be put to death; they have committed perversion, their blood is upon them.
Leviticus 20:13 If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall be put to death; their blood is upon them.
Leviticus 20:14 If a man takes a wife and her mother also, it is depravity; they shall be burned to death, both he and they, that there may be no depravity among you.
Leviticus 20:15 If a man has sexual relations with an animal, he shall be put to death; and you shall kill the animal.
Leviticus 20:16 If a woman approaches any animal and has sexual relations with it, you shall kill the woman and the animal; they shall be put to death, their blood is upon them.
Leviticus 20:17 If a man takes his sister, a daughter of his father or a daughter of his mother, and sees her nakedness, and she sees his nakedness, it is a disgrace, and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people; he has uncovered his sister's nakedness, he shall be subject to punishment.
Leviticus 20:18 If a man lies with a woman having her sickness and uncovers her nakedness, he has laid bare her flow and she has laid bare her flow of blood; both of them shall be cut off from their people.
Leviticus 20:19 You shall not uncover the nakedness of your mother's sister or of your father's sister, for that is to lay bare one's own flesh; they shall be subject to punishment.
Leviticus 20:20 If a man lies with his uncle's wife, he has uncovered his uncle's nakedness; they shall be subject to punishment; they shall die childless.
Leviticus 20:21 If a man takes his brother's wife, it is impurity; he has uncovered his brother's nakedness; they shall be childless.

How many people actually need to be commanded not to sleep with an animal, or their Aunt? Yet Yahweh doesn't seem to forbid the grevious crime of rape when spelling out his detailed laws on sex. If there was ever any more obvious proof that the Bible is not the word of an infinitely wise and moral creator, this is surely it.

Actually, Yahweh even says that if a woman is raped in a city, she should be stoned to death because she didn't cry out. Only women raped in the country are spared from being stoned:

Deuteronomy 22:23-25 If a damsel that is a virgin be betrothed unto an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her, then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you. But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You guys really don't agree with #4? That's were our weekends come from.
Saturday is for the Jews, Sunday is for the Christians. If there's a religion that worships on friday lets get that thrown in there too.
BTW. The 10 commandments are OT and strictly for the Jews. The NT sums them all up with 2 things ( paraphrasing) believe in God and be good to others.
sunday is off because of the european pagans who worshipped the sun on that day.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:16 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,683,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
I am japanese and don't get my morals from the "bible". Japan has the lowest crime rate in the developed world and is atheist.

Now to your commandments, many of them are not about morals but about how god is a jealous god. The first 4 don't matter to me.

#5 agree about honoring, not the rest
#6 Agree
#7 depends but agree in general
#8 agree
#10 agree for the most part.

Why didnt he put stuff about rape, slavery, racism etc? Seems a pretty bad place to base your morals off of. I would have thought god would have had the foresight to put those things in the "10 commandments". All societies on the planet have come to the same conclusions about no murdering etc. You don't need commandments for that. Even animals dont randomly murder members of their family and in general species because it will decrease the likelyhood of the survival of their species. Do animals get morals from the bible? Do mothers in the animal kingdom die for their babies instead of eating them like the mindless animals do they get that from the bible?

Just a guess here, but probably because these things were practiced pretty heavily back then and since man wrote the Bible they probably wanted to continue those ways..Kind of like the stoning back then, think that is in the bible as well. It seems to me God only cares about how many worship him and that those that don't be punished. The first four all concern him, seems to have a mighty big Ego!!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
sunday is off because of the european pagans who worshipped the sun on that day.
Funny because the labor unions here credit themselves with given us the weekend. My husband is decedent to the Pagans. Vikings

Old 08-01-2009, 01:31 PM

Well yeah it has to do with modern things, but its rooted in history. "Sunday" has always been a day of worship, in the past for the sun and then the christians stole it.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:34 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,802,305 times
I'll work every day of the week if I want to...and I don't mind checking out women who happen to be married/partnered/whatever.

I think most religions agree on a lot of things: don't steal, don't lie, don't kill,etc but you don't need a religion to know these things are wrong.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Well yeah it has to do with modern things, but its rooted in history. "Sunday" has always been a day of worship, in the past for the sun and then the christians stole it.
Agreed. just an example of how others take credit!! The Bible stole many ideas, a lot of the stories in it reflect and are almost exact to the Greek god stories and others. Just the names and dates are changed.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:36 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,802,305 times
The 10 commandments doesn't outlaw two people of the same sex marrying...why all the hoopla?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality