Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2009, 11:07 PM
 
Location: In my skin
9,230 posts, read 16,580,663 times
Reputation: 9175

Advertisements

Pardon me if this is long, but I've been thinking a lot about this over the last few days.

I was raised Catholic, went to parochial school, went through the sacraments - some of you know the drill. As I grew into adulthood, I realized the Catholic church just didn't feel like home and it never really did. It was more routine and I never really felt the draw. I couldn't take it seriously with the stuff I saw day to day.

I looked into other places to worship and I felt really guilty about it, like I was betraying my faith. But I eventually accepted the lack of interest and grew into the reality that I felt no need for organized religion. I have my faith, I do my best to live the right way and give back. I'm happy with that.

Still, there's a side, albeit very small, that still nags at me. Though it is small, meaning it won't change anything, it is ever-present. Instead of lamenting over it, I try to examine it. All I can come up with is that I am probably not fully "de-programmed". Guilt was a huge motivator in the church and in school. Then there are people I have met all through my life who tell me that I was meant to serve God. Have we met? I am absolutely not the example of someone who does God's work. Not that I'm mean or hurtful, but I am way too free-spirited and liberal minded. I'll do my best to live right and leave the big stuff to someone more "qualified".

What are your thoughts, I'm almost afraid to ask. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2009, 11:20 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,012 posts, read 29,791,347 times
Reputation: 11309
You need to take a break and explore some catholic Lite, for example.

Try visiting an episcopal church, they are friendlier and more energetic and liberal.

I love every visit I make to the Anglican churches. They simply welcome me with open arms

That's what I have been doing in America, exploring churches.

But I'm a hardcore catholic, it's like my nucleus. I'll do some electron orbiting regularly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 PM
 
4,655 posts, read 5,085,026 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Pardon me if this is long, but I've been thinking a lot about this over the last few days.

I was raised Catholic, went to parochial school, went through the sacraments - some of you know the drill. As I grew into adulthood, I realized the Catholic church just didn't feel like home and it never really did. It was more routine and I never really felt the draw. I couldn't take it seriously with the stuff I saw day to day.

I looked into other places to worship and I felt really guilty about it, like I was betraying my faith. But I eventually accepted the lack of interest and grew into the reality that I felt no need for organized religion. I have my faith, I do my best to live the right way and give back. I'm happy with that.

Still, there's a side, albeit very small, that still nags at me. Though it is small, meaning it won't change anything, it is ever-present. Instead of lamenting over it, I try to examine it. All I can come up with is that I am probably not fully "de-programmed". Guilt was a huge motivator in the church and in school. Then there are people I have met all through my life who tell me that I was meant to serve God. Have we met? I am absolutely not the example of someone who does God's work. Not that I'm mean or hurtful, but I am way too free-spirited and liberal minded. I'll do my best to live right and leave the big stuff to someone more "qualified".

What are your thoughts, I'm almost afraid to ask. LOL.
You say you have faith, but don't see the need for church?

The idea of a believer that didn't have a need for the body or doesn't care to spend time around other Christians is no Biblical.

You need to find a solid Bible-teaching church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 PM
 
Location: In my skin
9,230 posts, read 16,580,663 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You need to take a break and explore some catholic Lite, for example.

Try visiting an episcopal church, they are friendlier and more energetic and liberal.

I love every visit I make to the Anglican churches. They simply welcome me with open arms

That's what I have been doing in America, exploring churches.

But I'm a hardcore catholic, it's like my nucleus. I'll do some electron orbiting regularly
My friend was recently married in an Anglican church. I was shocked at the humor. That's another thing, I'm still accustomed to the straighforward, serious tone of the Catholic church. So while I appreciate the more modern approaches, I tend to look around to see if anyone if offended....lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 11:50 PM
 
Location: In my skin
9,230 posts, read 16,580,663 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
You say you have faith, but don't see the need for church?

The idea of a believer that didn't have a need for the body or doesn't care to spend time around other Christians is no Biblical.

You need to find a solid Bible-teaching church.
Not going to church doesn't mean I don't have faith. I know this to be true because I still have faith. I don't think church is the only way or place to worship, or to be around other Christians. I don't feel incomplete because I don't follow a certain doctrine. I feel like there is something I should be doing, but it isn't all this that makes me feel that way. Not sure if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
 
6,034 posts, read 10,704,594 times
Reputation: 3991
Heh...I saw the title and I thought it read "My Catholic Quilt"...
I came in here hoping to see pictures of some fantastic handmade blanket with Catholic motifs all over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
 
4,655 posts, read 5,085,026 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Not going to church doesn't mean I don't have faith. I know this to be true because I still have faith. I don't think church is the only way or place to worship, or to be around other Christians. I don't feel incomplete because I don't follow a certain doctrine. I feel like there is something I should be doing, but it isn't all this that makes me feel that way. Not sure if that makes sense.
I guess it's a question of what you consider "faith" that you have. How do you spend time around Christians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,007 posts, read 15,456,097 times
Reputation: 2463
Hit yourself on the knuckles with a ruler a few times each month. That should do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 01:01 AM
Status: "Token Canuck" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
33,603 posts, read 37,245,373 times
Reputation: 14060
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Hit yourself on the knuckles with a ruler a few times each month. That should do it.
Ah ha!...So you were educated in Catholic schools as was I...I remember that 3 foot ruler very well, but worse than that was being rapped by the black board pointer...The damned teacher (priest) would sneak up behind us and flail away...He once broke two of a student fingers .....The nuns also seemed to get great pleasure out of beating us on the palm of the hand with a 1/4 thick strap made out of a strip of old conveyor belt....Happily I left it all behind with no guilt at all, but thankfully their efforts to program me were a dismal failure......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2009, 02:30 AM
 
Location: In my skin
9,230 posts, read 16,580,663 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I guess it's a question of what you consider "faith" that you have. How do you spend time around Christians?
I believe in God, and it is that faith that keeps me in line. I believe the commandments exist to help build and maintain a strong moral compass, though I don't believe them to be a purely Catholic concept. I question a great deal, like the accounts in the bible. I feel that faith is what gives it credibility. It is the same faith that does not allow me to question the existence of God. In the opinion of some, this makes me agnostic. I don't know one way or the other. I know what I feel.

Organized religion just doesn't sit well with me. There are so many different practices and beliefs. So, I am always failing somewhere, to someone. I can't process there being a Catholic god, a Mormon god, a Jewish god, a Muslim god and so on. If there is one God, how can there be so many conflicting beliefs and practices? I'm not criticizing any one religion, I just can't bring myself to be accountable to any of them.

Many of my friends have their faith, some are devout, some are not. We have discussions but as they arise. We join in charitable activities - though the ones I participate in are not church based. I don't know that I have to gather with them as much as live among them and embrace them every day. I'm not limiting myself to one organization, one day a week.

That's all I've got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:01 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top