Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,667,684 times

Advertisements

I see sex as a natural and healthy thing between consenting adults and nothing to get all wound up about. However I do agree that there are many places in the world, particularly in Asia, where young girls are exploited and they're forced into a lifestyle of prostitution that was not their choice. But I think it's ridiculous to state that because unmarried couples or same sex couples are having sexual relations it's causing the collapse of civilization. I've said many times that religion appears to be fixated on anything sexual and I suspect that alot of it is due to the guilt of religious individuals who are ashamed of their natural sexual desires that they feel they need to suppress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 AM

4,510 posts, read 7,539,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I see sex as a natural and healthy thing between consenting adults and nothing to get all wound up about. However I do agree that there are many places in the world, particularly in Asia, where young girls are exploited and they're forced into a lifestyle of prostitution that was not their choice. But I think it's ridiculous to state that because unmarried couples or same sex couples are having sexual relations it's causing the collapse of civilization. I've said many times that religion appears to be fixated on anything sexual and I suspect that alot of it is due to the guilt of religious individuals who are ashamed of their natural sexual desires that they feel they need to suppress.
"consenting adults" in a world where prostitution may well be considered as the perfectly normal way to survive "economically speaking"!

(imho, sure enough)

Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,641,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Europe, who is much more sexually liberal than the US, and accepts sex education in schools, has lower abortion rate, and teen pregnancies, this as opposed to in the US where the religious right fights sex education and where that segment of the population has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the industrial world. If you want to reduce abortion rates, take a lesson from Europe and teach sex education.
Mostly true, but there are exceptions. Sweden's abortion rate is higher than ours.

Abortions (per capita) (most recent) by country (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_abo_percap-health-abortions-per-capita - broken link)

And America being oh-so sexually conservative I think is debatable. Americans are more like schizophrenic on this issue. We allow or encourage teens to dress trampy in a way many European countries don't. America is a much more capitalistic society than Europe so we also encourage gratification and unrestrained appetites. I mean if you watch TV saving money is almost treated like something to be ashamed of. Our duty is to spend, spend, spend even if personal debt causes some economic problems we're trying to solve. The "Pursuit of Happiness" is written into our founding document. In most comedies being a virgin at 19 is deemed embarassing. At the same time we do give more messages about love, fidelity, and chastity. So kids get highly mixed messages, which may create the worst of both worlds. Like "I have to sex before I graduate High School, but it should only be with someone I love. If you really love the person do you have to use protection or birth control?" and so forth.

Granted many of the more religiously conservative nations do have higher teen pregancy rates. Ireland and Poland are in the top-ten for the developed world.

Teenage pregnancy (per capita) (most recent) by country (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_tee_pre_percap-health-teenage-pregnancy-per-capita - broken link)

However I'm not sure how they're defining "teen pregnancy." In some of the more conservative societies marrying at 18, and having a baby before 20, is less unusual. Also it's not an exact correlation. Highly atheist Czechs are above the more religious Greeks.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 AM

13,774 posts, read 26,641,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Like girls who can't control themselves get a male prostitute who is "fallen" and then leave the good guys alone)

This is wishful thinking. Girls who can't control themselves on the spur of the moment to the extent that they need a male prostitute only exist in the imagination of men, I9 fear. However it's true that's there is a pretty recent phenomenon of older, single,wealthy women,searching fot toy boys in the Third World. Hardly healthy nor moral in my book.
I was just trying to both understand the Medieval/Developing mind and wondering what it would like if it were more gender-equal. I don't think prostitution should even be legal.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:45 AM

1,295 posts, read 3,063,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Who would you like to see in the bedroom controlling people's sex life, the church or the government?
Id like to see People stop suppressing thier moral conscience for purposes of Self centered gain thru exploiting others for sex ; and when a Nation gets to like it is with America , I think its time for Government legislated Morality Laws with punishment (except our Government is one of the worse Offenders and many Officials would be reprimanded -- we cant have that ).

Old 08-02-2009, 10:56 AM

'Now for the opinion, because what I mentioned above is fact:
IMO: sexual openness in a society allows those who want to be "bad" to do so without having to pretend they are something they are not. Repression and non-disclosure non-discussion of sexual urges in Taliban-like (or perhaps preisthood-like) societies rarely leads to anything good.....'

REPLY: Is it a case of 'repression' or SUPPRESSION of what is right from wrong , people wanting to live as they like, people not liking to be told/reminded of how they should live and why , and claiming 'freedom and rights' to help further sexual immoral degradation with its wide spread national consequences due to apathy and a willful reprobate Mind (?) Sounds like the Religion of Nihlism to me ; werent things quite a bit better prior to circa 1958 in America than they are now, or, have we grown comfortable with the 'progress' we have made in the area of degradation for Society ? I reckon for the willful Sexual Hedonist, theres no better time to be alive than right now ; perhaps some in this thread would care to confirm that (?) .

Old 08-02-2009, 11:25 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,713,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sex is not immoral. Your view that it is, is a direct result of the sexual hangups of your religion...There is also nothing sacred about sex....Again your religion is what gives you that mistaken idea...Who is asking you to tolerate anything, and why are the sexual mores of others any of your business? Nobody is forcing you to participate so get off your high horse.......It's not ruining a nation, nor is it a vice....A lot fewer people are dying from STDS today than did in biblical times I'll wager...
I so wish I could rep you again, but I can't yet. You made an awesome post though, and I totally agree with what you said.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:52 AM

33,633 posts, read 37,297,869 times
I reckon for the willful Sexual Hedonist, theres no better time to be alive than right now ; perhaps some in this thread would care to confirm that (?) .

I'll confirm that, but I wouldn't say that I'm a sexual hedonist....I'm just free of all the genital fixations and repressions that you seem to have.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:57 AM

4,510 posts, read 7,539,861 times
yes, monsieur, and it has been sounding incredibly arrogant.

imho.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I reckon for the willful Sexual Hedonist, theres no better time to be alive than right now ; perhaps some in this thread would care to confirm that (?) .

I'll confirm that, but I wouldn't say that I'm a sexual hedonist....I'm just free of all the genital fixations and repressions that you seem to have.
REPLY: Why wouldnt you say youre a Sexual Hedonist then ? I dont have any 'genital fixations' ... just discussing a topic that has brought much ruin to peoples lives , America as a nation, and other casual sex Nations. I dont have any 'repressions' ; I just understand what is right from wrong and why ,and what the sexual union was intended for. I dont have an STD nor have to worry about contracting one , spreading one, dying of one, being sterile from one ...so i feel pretty good about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality