Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 04:51 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I like that, although for me it does not involve a search for meaning in my life. I already have that, usually my wife and two daughters.
Yup. That's why I didn't bold that part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 07:09 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
thast exactly it.

people are basing their choices on the three letters "DGO" and what emotions people are telling us we have to display. although maybe its not emtions, but things like "submitting", "praise", and "obedience".

they are traits that the universe doesn't need from us.
You've got it wrong. No is telling anyonewhat emotions to use. Think of knowing God as cheering for the home team, those emotions are spontaneous.

However submission, praise and obedience are not emotions... they're "motions". Motion produces emotion.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:10 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
To admit that a Creator is obvious would imply that one should submit to that Creator. That's the sticking point.
Well..., I have to wonder about that...

Even as an atheist myself, if I were one to admit to or believe in a creator, I don't know that I would need to "submit" to that creator. I certainly wouldn't want to tick it off, however, since I couldn't really know what sort of creator I was dealing with. Forgiving? Moody? Having a bad millennium? Who could know...

Old 12-11-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Not necessarily, it takes time. Submission can only occur voluntarily... can not be compelled. I've seen the process in individuals who were non believers, but eventually move to "intelligent design". That is the intellectual door that opens the mind and manifests as seeking to understand. See Albert Einstein for reference.

The path that leads to God is narrow and must be sought, but once there, a knock is all that's necessarily to open the door.
Interesting...

Can you be more specific? Would that be a knock on the "intellectual door" or a knock on the head?

Old 12-11-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, that is not what I am saying at all. I was simply responding to your statement about being able to identify posters by their writing style.
I was still referring to what you WERE saying, in your comment #95, but...

Never mind.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Agreed. Or having a self-designed purpose in life.
Important but again having nothing necessarily to do with spirituality. Right?

Old 12-11-2019, 11:18 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Well..., I have to wonder about that...

Even as an atheist myself, if I were one to admit to or believe in a creator, I don't know that I would need to "submit" to that creator. I certainly wouldn't want to tick it off, however, since I couldn't really know what sort of creator I was dealing with. Forgiving? Moody? Having a bad millennium? Who could know...
If you were to admit that there were a Creator, and that to live a sinful life in rebellion to that Creator would damn one to hell, that wouldn't change your mind?

Old 12-11-2019, 11:21 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
I was still referring to what you WERE saying, in your comment #95, but...

Never mind.
Good choice.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:24 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Important but again having nothing necessarily to do with spirituality. Right?
No, not necessarily. Particularly if you subscribe to the definition: "it includes a sense of connection to something bigger than ourselves, and it typically involves a search for meaning in life". But I wouldn't want to split hairs.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:29 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

But I also personally value spirituality and have the feeling myself that there is more to existence than what hard science tells us there is. So where does that feeling come from?

For me...it just comes from being kind....helping other people when I can & in what I do for my job......loving my fiance...my parents & sisters & family. I love & appreciate my life & everybody in it....& that's "spiritual" to me.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality