Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 01:52 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree. But this 'spiritual' compassion seems possible in all religions or none. Foe me, 'spirituality' comes in music, discovery, and..well, fun. I enjoy good humour and a laugh. Which is why it makes being here less of a grind than otherwise it might be.
Many people have a fleeting spiritual experience listening to music or experiencing a moment of wonder, but its fleeting. Its a glimpse at the source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 05:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Many people have a fleeting spiritual experience listening to music or experiencing a moment of wonder, but its fleeting. Its a glimpse at the source.
Thank you. I was hoping someone would argue the 'permanent High' of religion. It is I believe (note the absence of 'We' ) the ultimate joy of being totally justified, important and Right, no matter what anyone says or even proves, because the god in their head said so.

True, the stuff that gives me the occasional Mental High is not the permanent trip that religion gives, but as always, I refer reason to delusion.

Anticipating a couple of moves. No. It is the god claimed to be at the bottom of your glass when you haven't got to the bottom of the glass yet. It is the baby in the bathwater which (to use the analogy correctly rather than as a strawman) is being tipped out bit by bit and no sign of this postulated 'baby' as yet.

This 'God' is just a claim and belief in the mind, created by the mind. Undistotally misproven, as a former US president might have said, but not yet made credible, in spite of all the apologetics based on Woo, funny feelings, curing drug or drink habits, quotemining scientists or any amount of free soup.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-20-2020 at 06:04 AM..

Old 04-20-2020, 06:07 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Thank you. I was hoping someone would argue the 'permanent High' of religion. It is I believe (note the absence of 'We' ) the ultimate joy of being totally justified, important and Right, no matter what anyone says or even proves, because the god in their head said so.

True, the stuff that gives me the occasional Mental High is not the permanent trip that religion gives, but as always, I refer reason to delusion.
Religion doesn't cause spiritual experiences , it can't.
Its just a fellowship of like minds. Religion has no power whatsoever.
The sum total of a billion like minds only add up to human power.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Religion doesn't cause spiritual experiences , it can't.
Its just a fellowship of like minds. Religion has no power whatsoever.
The sum total of a billion like minds only add up to human power.
Complete flummerry. You can't even have thought about this.

Religion can and does cause 'spiritual experiences'. That's how it works. It is, I believe, an evolved instinct that causes social cohesion. It is that plus alliance with temporal power, or even taking over temporal power itself, that gives it power. If that's what you meant by the term, though I suspect you didn't think about the meaning, but just churned out kneejerk denial.

Of course the sum total of a million people signing up to the same ideas is Power. That's what the Nones is all about. Grassroots voting for irreligion is the only thing that is going to end this mess.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:04 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
Quote:
Of course the sum total of a million people signing up to the same ideas is Power. That's what the Nones is all about. Grassroots voting for irreligion is the only thing that is going to end this mess.
Without question, the nones will bring about their own mess, don’t worry. We’re already seeing it.
The constant obsession over creating a utopia according to our own individual metrics is pointless.

For a lot of us, spiritually is just there. It’s not always about a “high” or a good feeling. It’s not just warm and fuzzies when listening to music. It’s all that and everything else. It’s just there. “Need” it or not, it’s just there.
Hard to explain to some people.
Religion is just a part of it. Like literally every other worldview, religion can be and is manipulated and abused. Humans are generally good, with a propensity to do bad.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Complete flummerry. You can't even have thought about this.

Religion can and does cause 'spiritual experiences'. That's how it works. It is, I believe, an evolved instinct that causes social cohesion. It is that plus alliance with temporal power, or even taking over temporal power itself, that gives it power. If that's what you meant by the term, though I suspect you didn't think about the meaning, but just churned out kneejerk denial.

when you stray within the confines of "slowing down over organised religion" you make perfect sense.

I have no idea why you don't do what you are constantly harping on theist to do.
as one world genius put it ...

Stay in your lane.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Without question, the nones will bring about their own mess, don’t worry. We’re already seeing it.
The constant obsession over creating a utopia according to our own individual metrics is pointless.

For a lot of us, spiritually is just there. It’s not always about a “high” or a good feeling. It’s not just warm and fuzzies when listening to music. It’s all that and everything else. It’s just there. “Need” it or not, it’s just there.
Hard to explain to some people.
Religion is just a part of it. Like literally every other worldview, religion can be and is manipulated and abused. Humans are generally good, with a propensity to do bad.
really what we would like to see is religion having the political influence of a local lacrosse youth league.

When you guys can defend or deny laws without the words "god said so", they tend to make more sense.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:54 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
really what we would like to see is religion having the political influence of a local lacrosse youth league.

When you guys can defend or deny laws without the words "god said so", they tend to make more sense.
You know no one is doing that, so why resort to extremes? If you see/feel someone is violating the laws report them.

The us vs. them mentality works on the internet, not so much when you are neighbors.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
You know no one is doing that, so why resort to extremes? If you see/feel someone is violating the laws report them.

The us vs. them mentality works on the internet, not so much when you are neighbors.
I disagree gab. I see things like things like gay is against god and abortion is against god.

it is us vs them. its us middle of the roader against the militant and fundy. Its not a fair playing field. We are surrounded and they are a lot louder and have no limits to what hey will do to us. We have limits to how we interact with them.

To them, they could care less how they win. To us, it matters how we win more than winning.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:20 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,584,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
To them, they could care less how they win. To us, it matters how we win more than winning.

You win IMO by being your true self.............& following your own spiritual path that best fits your own life. A sunset is more spiritual IMO than a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality