Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 09:33 PM

8,776 posts, read 3,942,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Come on, homeostasis is hardly obvious to the masses including those here on the forum. A psychological imbalance is a need irrespective of its objective the central concern is the degree in terms of its urgency and impact on priorities.
You're missing the point re: identifying what constitutes a psychological imbalance/need (and the variety of ways in which it can be met to maintain homeostasis) relative to the concept of spirituality (and the thread).

Repeatedly stating 'needs are directly related to homeostasis' and 'a psychological imbalance is a need' are absolutely obvious rather than taking it a step further in application to your point (if you have one) if, in fact, you disagree with my statement, 'spirituality is not a need' (which I assume you do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 09:37 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,840,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
All I said was philosophical awe is not related to religion or a higher power; in other words, people do not 'need' spirituality (per the thread title) though they often 'want' it as a way to fill a void which is obtainable in other ways. Relax, though; you're sounding like Trans.
Please!! And I was just going to say that I liked your post

Quote:
There's a big difference between emotion and spirituality (and philosophy as well). Personally, I don't consider spirituality a 'need' though I agree 'emotion' (and certainly awareness relative to one's surroundings) absolutely is, of course, along with an inquisitive mind.
Is there? Why do you think that must be the case? I see them as very much the same, being bio -reactions triggered by evolutionary coding.

P.s I had to look it up.

homeostasis
the tendency towards a relatively stable equilibrium between interdependent elements, especially as maintained by physiological processes.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-21-2020 at 09:46 PM..

Old 04-21-2020, 10:31 PM

63,998 posts, read 40,299,200 times
Quote:
You're missing the point re: identifying what constitutes a psychological imbalance/need (and the variety of ways in which it can be met to maintain homeostasis) relative to the concept of spirituality (and the thread).

Repeatedly stating 'needs are directly related to homeostasis' and 'a psychological imbalance is a need' are absolutely obvious rather than taking it a step further in application to your point (if you have one) if, in fact, you disagree with my statement, 'spirituality is not a need' (which I assume you do).
Of course, I disagree with your characterization of spirituality as NOT a need. It certainly is. Your suggestion that it is just a want reveals a lack of understanding that wants are derived FROM needs because they are LEARNED need satisfiers. That is why we want them. We have learned that they can satisfy needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Is there? Why do you think that must be the case? I see them as very much the same, being bio -reactions triggered by evolutionary coding.
And by learning. BTW, Cowboy, here is some evidence that homeostasis is NOT obvious.
Quote:
P.s I had to look it up.

homeostasis
the tendency towards a relatively stable equilibrium between interdependent elements, especially as maintained by physiological processes.
QED.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Of course, I disagree with your characterization of spirituality as NOT a need. It certainly is.

BTW, Cowboy, here is some evidence that homeostasis is NOT obvious.
Your statements in re: homeostasis were obvious to ME (which is why I said it was obvious); whether or not your manner of writing (or homeostasis for that matter) is obvious to other people is irrelevant as I was the one responding to your post (and calling you out for a lack of conceptual application relevant to YOUR statement, my friend). It has yet to be answered.

That said, it's not a challenge (and simply frustrating) to continue a discussion/debate with someone who can't stay on topic, answer a simple question (my posts #249 and #251), or uses obvious, random statements to camouflage a point or redirect the conversation (when I expected so much more from you). It's disappointing, quite frankly - so I'll simply leave it there. Have a good one!

Old 04-22-2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Please!! And I was just going to say that I liked your post
It is what it is.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:07 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,638,609 times
Quote:

spirituality is not a need. anymore than art is a need.

but they are a by product.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:43 PM

63,998 posts, read 40,299,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
spirituality is not a need. anymore than art is a need.
but they are a by-product.
Spirituality addresses our needs. The typical social view that needs are only those things that are essential to our physiological homeostasis and survival requirements is too myopic. Psychological needs imbalances take longer to threaten well-being or survival but they still must be addressed or they eventually WILL threaten. What I think Arach's by-product means is that most of the spiritual, social, and psychological needs are addressed through learned responses (what we call wants) which are acquired differently for each individual through their life experiences. That does not make them any less important than the needs we typically consider. The learning just enables a greater availability of need-satisfiers which is what I think Cowboy was alluding to. In any case, whether they are the traditionally considered needs or those considered wants, they are ALL based on our needs - i.e., they address homeostasis.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,638,609 times
exactly. does a wolf "have to be a wolf?"

no,it has those traits and we called it a wolf. So when dealing with that wolf, use what it actually is. Don't treat it like a plant and put it in a pot, with dirt, and water it.

a control component. a manipulative component. a self help component. Its all "needed" because we are humans. Its only semantics. control sounds negative. But the fact is people need rules. manipulation sounds bad, but lets fact it, especially parents, we all do it. Self help. There is a whole line of science dedicated to learning how to trick people into helping themselves until they can do it on there own.

The problem is that the militant and Fundy reject rational discussion on these when it doesn't fit want they want. Any more than a 8-9 grader will accept "you have to be home by dark."

Last edited by Arach Angle; 04-23-2020 at 03:33 AM..

Old 04-23-2020, 05:02 AM

14,969 posts, read 9,878,619 times
Sooner or later people begin to babble. Let your yes be yes and your no be no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality