Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 08:08 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert62 View Post
Effie,
this comment for instance. Is it a criticism or are you lauding Thomas R? That's my problem. I am naive. While I do verbally communicate with cynicism, I don't know when I am reading it (necessarily). Robert
it is a feedback with components of actual perceptions as they (may!) come from a poster, meeting with a personal situation. as honest as it can be.

and in more directly answering () your question, it need not be only one OR the other, but can be both. no, you are not naive. why should i make you assume that?
it can be clarified in a mutually beneficial conversation and still be interesting to read for other posters (while not giving the impression of being in an ordinary chat room).

but ignoring has been the order of the day, nothing outside the confines of one's habitual patterning, IMHO. and insofar, it is a criticism, yes.

cynicism is more a state of being than the sarcasm sometimes necessary to express it. also imho.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 08-14-2009 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 PM

110 posts, read 212,498 times
Effie, I still feel nonplussed- as if having things explained to me by a Master who only employs riddles. You and your brain intrigue me. Can you even be deciphered? Robert

Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
You are a better man than I if you can figure her out, Robert.

To the topic...I had faith in my ex wife that turned out to be badly misplaced and totally incorrect.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:09 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
yes i was an omen driven religious person but having acted on an encouragement from the minister that turned out to be a disaster, i entirely changed. it took a broken heart to do it, but i am no longer omen driven.
i now consider myself a religious moderate. god did not send the woman across the room, i just like thin blondes. need to check to see if there is a reflection in the mirror 1st.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 AM

Hey, Huckleberry.
I would love to know more about being "omen driven." That's provocative. Robert

Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
Quote:
Effie, I still feel nonplussed- as if having things explained to me by a Master who only employs riddles. You and your brain intrigue me. Can you even be deciphered? Robert
with monsieur sanspeur challenging you?

the riddles come sort of self-employed, seems to be related to sort of an impenetrable chaos created by cultural distancing...

Old 08-15-2009, 11:28 AM

Effie,
I suppose in most ways I am rather pedestrian, although, I would certainly like to believe otherwise. I tried reading Proust and Doestyevsky and found out I really couldn't handle it. I love Classic literature, but I have to concede that some of it is beyond me. Your statements remind me of these impenetrable readings. If it isn't stupid that you make me feel, it's puzzled and frustrated - and yet I want more. Does that make me the masochist I already know I am? Robert

Old 08-15-2009, 12:15 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You are a better man than I if you can figure her out, Robert.
I can rarely fully comprehend effie's posts, but I always enjoy reading them.

I believe the only thing I ever really had faith in with all of my being was religion, which I eventually abandoned. There have been other things throughout my life of which I may have felt strongly, but not so much that I was basing my life upon those things.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Hey, Huckleberry.
I would love to know more about being "omen driven." That's provocative. Robert
alexander the great --he returned to greece via the northern desert coastal route of india, omen driven --a bird flying overhead caused this decision to happen 1/3 of greece army died a slow painful death of thirst.
in behavioral science "diffusion" - against all odds you achieve some great work and then begin to take enormous risk-- often failing bek you believe you no longer have to be rational to succeed-- faith and personal confidence action-- as compared to rational decision making. diffusion and omen driven behavior, ---. rational smart people doing insane stuff.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 08-15-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 PM

Thank you. Excellent information to ponder. I really do get it now. I am reviewing events and moments in my life where I felt that phenomena, or omens influenced me (or, I let them influence me). Thanks, Robert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality